User Participatory Sensing for Disaster Detection and Mitigation
Kaoru Sezaki*,**, Shin'ichi Konomi*, and Masaki Ito**
*Center for Spatial Information Science, the University of Tokyo
5-1-5 Kashiwanoha, Kashiwa, Chiba 277-8568, Japan
**Institute of Industrial Science, the University of Tokyo
4-6-1 Komaba, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 153-8505, Japan
-  M. Inoguchi, K. Tamura, S. Sudo, and H. Hayashi, “Implementation of Prototype Mobile Application Operated on Smartphones for Micromedia Service,” Journal of Disaster Research, Vol.9, No.2, pp. 139-148, 2014.
-  M. N. K. Boulos, B. Resch, D. N. Crowley, J. G. Breslin, G. Sohn, R. Burtner, W. A. Pike, E. Jezierski, and K. Y. S. Chuang, “Crowdsourcing, citizen sensing and sensor web technologies for public and environmental health surveillance and crisis management: trends, OGC standards and application examples,” Int. J. Health Geographics, Vol.10, No.67, 2011.
-  C. Dang, M. Iwai, K. Umeda, Y. Tobe, and K. Sezaki, “NaviComf: Navigate pedestrians for comfort using multi-modal environmental sensors,” IEEE Pervasive Computing and Communication (Percom 2012), Switzerland, March 2012.
-  K. Umeda, Y. Hashimoto, T. Nakanishi, K. Irie, and K. Terabayashi, “Subtraction stereo: A stereo camera system that focuses on moving regions,” Proc. SPIE 7239, 723908, Three-Dimensional Imaging Metrology, 2009.
-  T. Choudhury and A. Pentland, “The sociometer: A wearable device for understanding human networks,” CSCW’02 Workshop: Ad hoc Communications and Collaboration in Ubiquitous Computing EnvironmentsCiteseer, 2002.
-  S. Konomi, S. Inoue, T. Kobayashi, M. Tsuchida, and M. Kitsuregawa, “Supporting colocated interactions using rfid and social network displays,” IEEE Pervasive Computing, Vol.5, pp. 48-56, 2006.
-  X. Xie, “Potential friend recommendation in online social network,” 2010 IEEE/ACM International Conference on Green Computing and Communications & 2010 IEEE/ACM International Conference on Cyber, Physical and Social Computing IEEE, pp. 831-835 2010.
-  E. Gilbert and K. Karahalios, “Predicting tie strength with social media,” Proceedings of the 27th international conference on Human factors in computing systems ACM, pp. 211-220 2009.
-  T. M. T. Do and D. Gatica-Perez, “Groupus: Smartphone proximity data and human interaction type mining,” Wearable Computers (ISWC) 2011, pp. 2128, June 2011.
-  J. Cranshaw, E. Toch, J. Hong, A. Kittur, and N. Sadeh, “Bridging the gap between physical location and online social networks,” Proceedings of the 12th ACM international conference on Ubiquitous computing, pp. 119-128, ACM, 2010.
-  E. Miluzzo, N. D. Lane, K. Fodor, R. Peterson, H. Lu, M. Musolesi, S. B. Eisenman, X. Zheng, and A. T. Campbell, “Sensing meets mobile social networks: the design, implementation and evaluation of the cenceme application,” Proceedings of the 6th ACM conference on Embedded network sensor systems, pp. 337-350, ACM, 2008.
-  K. Shimizu, M. Iwai, and K. Sezaki, “Social link analysis using wireless beaconing and accelerometer,” IEEE 27th International Conference on Advanced Information Networking and Applications Workshops (WAINA), pp. 33-38, 2013.
-  N. Ravi, N. Dandekar, P. Mysore, and M. Littman, “Activity recognition from accelerometer data,” in Proceedings of the National Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Vol.20, No.3, p. 1541, 2005.
-  H. Gao, G. Barbier, and R. Goolsby, “Harnessing the crowdsourcing power of social media for disaster relief,” IEEE Intelligent Systems, May/June, 10-14, 2011.
-  A. Olteanu, S. Vieweg, and C. Castillo, “What to expect when the unexpected happens: Social media communications across crises,” Proceedings of the 18th ACM Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work & Social Computing (CSCW’15), pp. 994-1009, 2015.
-  M. F. Goodchild and J. A. Glennon, “Crowdsourcing geographic information for disaster response: a research frontier,” Int. J. Digital Earth, Vol.3, No.3, pp. 231-241, 2010.
-  Disaster Reporter, http://www.fema.gov/disaster-reporter [accessed January 1, 2015]
-  S. Naito, H. Azuma, S. Senna, M. Yoshizawa, H. Nakamura, K. Hao, H. Fujiwara, Y. Hirayama, N. Yuki, and M. Yoshida, “Development and testing of a mobile application for recording and analyzing seismic data,” Journal of Disaster Research, Vol.8, No.5, pp. 990-1000, 2013.
-  M. Faulkner, R. Clayton, T. Heaton, K. M. Chandy, M. Kohler, J. Bunn, R. Guy, A. Liu, M. Olson, M. Cheng, and A. Krause, “Community sense and response systems: Your phone as quake detector,” CACM, Vol.57, No.7, 2014.
-  EMSC, Citizen Seismology, http://www.citizenseismology.eu/ [accessed Jan. 1, 2015]
-  P. Meyer, “Using flash crowds to automatically detect erthquakes and impact before anyone else,” http://irevolution.net/2014/10/27/ using-flashsourcing-to-automatically-detect-earthquakes/ [accessed Jan. 1, 2015]
-  M. M. M. Amjad, “Naive bayes classifier-based fire detection using smartphone sensors,” Master’s Thesis, Univ. of Agder.
-  E. Esponda and V. M. Guerrero, “Surveys with negative questions for senstive items,” Statics & Probability Letters, Vol.79, No.24, pp. 2456-2461, 2009.
-  S. Aoki and K. Sezaki, “Negative surveys with randomized response techniques for privacy-aware participatory sensing,” IEICE Transactions on Communications, Vol.E97-B, No.04, pp. 721-729, 2014.
-  S. Aoki, H. Kobayashi, M. Iwai, and K. Sezaki, “Perturbation with general tendency for mobile community sensing,” IEEE International Conference on Mobile Services (IEEE MS), pp. 23-30, CA, USA, 2013.
-  S. Konomi, V. Kostakos, K. Sezaki, and R. Shibasaki, “Crowd sensing for disaster response and preparedness,” the 77th National Concention of IPSJ, pp. 449-451, 2015.
-  L. Huang, K. Matsuura, and K. Sezaki, “Enhancing wiereless location privacy using silent period,” WCNC 2005, pp. 1187-1192, 2005.
-  Y. Matsuno, S. Aoki, M. Ito, and K. Sezaki, “Study on location privacy preservation considering time variation of popluation density,” IPSJ SIG Technical Report, Vol.2015, MBL-75, No.12, 2015 (in Japanese).
-  Gartner, Inc. Gartner Says 4.9 Billion Connected “Things” Will Be in Use in 2015. http://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/2905717 [accessed Oct. 1, 2015]
-  O. Sangratanachaikul, S. Konomi, and K. Sezaki, “An easy-to-deploy RFID location system,” Advances in Pervasive Computing: Adjunct Proceedings of PERVASIVE 2008, Late Breaking Results at the Sixth International Conference on Pervasive Computing (PERVASIVE 2008), Sydney, Australia, May 19-22, 2008, pp. 36-40, Austrian Computer Society, Vienna, 2008.
-  R. Tsujikawa, M. Iwai, and K. Sezaki, “Abiding geocast considering node density in mobile ad-hoc neworks,” IEICE Technical Report, IN2009-84, pp. 95-100, 2009 (in Japenese).
-  N. Nakamura, M. Ito, and K. Sezaki, “A study on effectiveness of abiding geocast on earthquake ecacuation,” 2015 IEICE General Conference, B-15-13, 2015 (in Japanese).
-  A. Vahdat and D. Becker, “Epidemic routing for partially connected ad hoc networks,” Technical report, Duke University, 2002.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.