Flood Inundation Analysis and Mitigation with a Coupled 1D-2D Hydraulic Model: A Case Study in Kochi, Japan
M. A. C. Niroshinie*, Yasuo Nihei*, Kazuaki Ohtsuki*, and Shoji Okada**
*Department of Civil Engineering, Tokyo University of Science
2641, Yamasaki, Noda, Japan
**Department of Civil Engineering, National Institute of Technology
Kochi College, 200-1, Monobe Otsu, Nankoku, Kochi, Japan
-  D. Ramsbottom, O. Tarrant, and A. Cooper, “Sources of flooding in tidal Thames,” Proc. of the 4th Delfra Flood and Coastal Management Conf., 2006.
-  Q. Liang, D. Guozhi, W. H. Jim, and G. L. B. Alistair, “Flood Inundation Modeling with an Adaptive Quadtree Grid Shallow Water Equation Solver,” J. Hydraul. Eng., Vol.134, No.11, pp. 1603-1610, 2008.
-  US Army corps Engineering, “HEC-RAS manual,” 2002.
-  DHI, “A modeling system for rivers and channels reference manual,” DHI publications, 2009.
-  Delatares, “Delft 3D manual,” 2011.
-  S. P. A. Duinmeijor, “Verification of Delft-FLS, Master thesis,” Delft Univeristy of Technology, 2002.
-  P. Vanderkimpen, E. Melger, and P. Peeters, “Flood modeling for risk evaluation – MIKE FLOOD vs SOBEK 1D 2D benchmark study,” Flood rick management research and practices, Taylor and Francis group, pp. 77-84, 2009.
-  M. S. Horritt and P. D. Bates, “Evaluation of 1D and 2D numerical models for predicting river flood inundation,” Journal of Hydrology, Vol.268, pp. 87-89, 2002.
-  V. Tayefi, S. N. Lane, R. J. Hardy, and D. Yu, “A comparison of one and two dimensional approaches to modeling flood innundation over complex upland flood plains,” Hydrological Processes, Vol.21, pp. 3190-3202, 2007.
-  H. Pawitan, A. W. Jayawardena, K. Takeuchi, and S. Lee, “Shimantogawa, Catalogue of rivers for south East Asia and the pacific – volume III,” UNESCO IHP, 2000.
-  N. Susumu, 2014, downloaded at, http://committees.jsce.or.jp/ mboxreport/system/files/sinsaitextunderscore data20140910.pdf [accessed Oct.,10, 2014]
-  M. B. Abbot and F. Ionescu, “On the numerical computation of nearly horizontal flows,” Journal of hydraulic research, Vol.5, No.2, pp. 97-117, 1967.
-  R. M. Beam and R. F. Warming, “Altering direct implicit methods for parabolic equations with a mixed derivative,” SIAM (Soc. of Industries and Applied Mathematics) Journal of Sci. Stat. and Comp, Vol.1, pp. 31-158, 1980.
-  M. B. Abbot, A. D. McCowan, and I. R. Warren, “Numerical modeling of free surface flows that are two dimensional in plan in transport models for inland and coastal waters,” Academic press, 1981.
-  A. D. McCowan, E. B. Rasmussen, and P. Berg, “Improving the performance of a two dimensional hydraulic model for floodplain applications,” Proc. of the conference on Hydraulics in Civil Engineering, 2001.
-  A. D. Ward and S. W. Trimble, “Runoff and drainage,” Environmental Hydrology, Second Edition, CRC press, pp. 150-152, 2003.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.