Analysis of Factors Triggering Shallow Failure and Deep-Seated Landslides Induced by Single Rainfall Events
Teng-To Yu, Ting-Shiuan Wang, and Youg-Sin Cheng
Department of Resources Engineering, National Cheng Kung University
1 University Rd., Tainan, Taiwan
-  P. Aleotti, “A warning system for rainfall-induced shallow failures,” Engineering Geology, Vol.73, No.3-4, pp. 247-265, 2004.
-  P. Aleotti and R. Chowdhury, “Landslide hazard assessment: summary review and new perspectives,” Bulletin of Engineering Geology and the Environment, Vol.58, No.1, pp. 21-44, 1999.
-  R. Avtar, C. K. Singh, G. Singh, R. L. Verma, S. Mukherjee, and H. Sawada, “Landslide susceptibility zonation study using remote sensing and GIS technology in the Ken-Betwa River Link area, India,” Bulletin of Engineering Geology and the Environment, Vol.70, No.4, pp. 595-606, 2011.
-  C. Baeza and J. Corominas, “Assessment of shallow landslide susceptibility by means of multivariate statistical techniques,” Earth Surface Processes and Landforms, Vol.26, No.12, pp. 1251-1263, 2001.
-  J. D. Cheng, L. L. Lin, and H. S. Lu, “Influences of forests on water flows from headwater watersheds in Taiwan,” Forest Ecology and Management, Vol.165, No.1-3, pp. 11-28, 2002.
-  S. H. Chiang and K. T. Chang, “The potential impact of climate change on typhoon-triggered landslides in Taiwan, 2010-2099,” Geomorphology, Vol.133, No.3-4, pp. 143-151, 2011.
-  J. D. A. Clarke and J. Ringis, “Late Quaternary stratigraphy and sedimentology of the inner part of southwest Joseph Bonaparte Gulf,” Australian Journal of Earth Sciences, Vol.47, No.4, pp. 715-732, 2000.
-  M. Conforti, G. Robustelli, F. Muto, and S. Critelli, “Application and validation of bivariate GIS-based landslide susceptibility assessment for the Vitravo river catchment (Calabria, south Italy),” Natural Hazards, Vol.61, No.1, pp. 127-141, 2012.
-  F. C. Dai and C. F. Lee, “Frequency-volume relation and prediction of rainfall-induced landslides,” Engineering Geology, Vol.59, No.3-4, pp. 253-266, 2001.
-  F. C. Dai, C. F. Lee, and Y. Y. Ngai, “Landslide risk assessment and management: an overview,” Engineering Geology, Vol.64, No.1, pp. 65-87, 2002.
-  T. Y. Duman, T. Can, O. Emre, M. Kecer, A. Dogan, S. Ates, and S. Durmaz, “Landslide inventory of northwestern Anatolia, turkey,” Engineering Geology, Vol.77, No.1-2, pp. 99-114, 2005.
-  F. Guzzetti, A. Carrara, M. Cardinali, and P. Reichenbach, “Landslide hazard evaluation: a review of current techniques and their application in a multi-scale study, Central Italy,” Geomorphology, Vol.31, No.1-4, pp. 181-216, 1999.
-  C. Ho, “An introduction to the geology of Taiwan: explanatory text of the geologic map of Taiwan: Central Geological Survey,” Ministry of Economic Affairs., 1988.
-  L. A. James, M. E. Hodgson, S. Ghoshal, and M. M. Latiolais, “Geomorphic change detection using historic maps and DEM differencing: The temporal dimension of geospatial analysis,” Geomorphology, Vol.137, No.1, pp. 181-198, 2012.
-  M. Kasai, M. Ikeda, T. Asahina, and K. Fujisawa, “LiDAR-derived DEM evaluation of deep-seated landslides in a steep and rocky region of Japan,” Geomorphology, Vol.113, No.1-2, pp. 57-69, 2009.
-  G. Koukis and C. Ziourkas, “Slope instability phenomena in Greece: A statistical analysis,” Bulletin of the Int. Association of Engineering Geology – Bulletin de l’Association Internationale de Géeologie de l’Ingéenieur, Vol.43, No.1, pp. 47-60, 1991.
-  Y. S. Kuo, Y. J. Tsai, Y. S. Chen, C. L. Shieh, K. Miyamoto, and T. Itoh, “Movement of deep-seated rainfall-induced landslide at Hsiaolin Village during Typhoon Morakot,” Landslides, Vol.10, No.2, pp. 191-202, 2013.
-  C. W. Lin, C. L. Shieh, B. D. Yuan, Y. C. Shieh, S. H. Liu, and S. Y. Lee, “Impact of Chi-Chi earthquake on the occurrence of landslides and debris flows: example from the Chenyulan River watershed, Nantou, Taiwan,” Engineering Geology, Vol.71, No.1–2, pp. 49-61, 2004.
-  C. W. Lin, C. M. Tseng, Y. H. Tseng, L. Y. Fei, Y. C. Hsieh, and P. Tarolli, “Recognition of large scale deep-seated landslides in forest areas of Taiwan using high resolution topography,” Journal of Asian Earth Sciences, Vol.62, pp. 389-400, 2013.
-  G. Manzo, V. Tofani, S. Segoni, A. Battistini, and F. Catani, “GIS techniques for regional-scale landslide susceptibility assessment: the Sicily (Italy) case study,” Int. Journal of Geographical Information Science, Vol.27, No.7, pp. 1433-1452, 2013.
-  J. A. Mart’inez-Casasnovas, “A spatial information technology approach for the mapping and quantification of gully erosion,” CATENA, Vol.50, No.2-4, pp. 293-308, 2003.
-  P. Meunier, N. Hovius, and J. A. Haines, “Topographic site effects and the location of earthquake induced landslides,” Earth and Planetary Science Letters, Vol.275, No.3-4, pp. 221-232, 2008.
-  A. Nandi and A. Shakoor, “A GIS-based landslide susceptibility evaluation using bivariate and multivariate statistical analyses,” Engineering Geology, Vol.110, No.1-2, pp. 11-20, 2010.
-  The Past Deep Seated Landslide Events, March 27, 2012, from http://www.pwri.go.jp/team/volcano/deeptextunderscore seatedtextunderscore landslides/ shinsouhoukai-list.pdf [accessed May 2014]
-  C. Plummer, D. Carlson, and L. Hammersley, “Physical Geology 14th Edition,” McGraw-Hill, 2013.
-  K. Shou, Y. Chen, and H. Liu, “Hazard analysis of Li-shan landslide in Taiwan,” Geomorphology, Vol.103, No.1, pp. 143-153, 2009.
-  P. Tarolli, G. Sofia, and G. D. Dalla Fontana, “Geomorphic features extraction from high-resolution topography: landslide crowns and bank erosion,” Natural Hazards, Vol.61, No.1, pp. 65-83, 2012.
-  M. Van Den Eeckhaut, J. Poesen, G. Verstraeten, V. Vanacker, J. Moeyersons, J. Nyssen, and L. P. H. van Beek, “The effectiveness of hillshade maps and expert knowledge in mapping old deep-seated landslides,” Geomorphology, Vol.67, No.3-4, pp. 351-363, 2005.
-  M. C. Weng, M. H. Wu, S. K. Ning, and Y. W. Jou, “Evaluating triggering and causative factors of landslides in LawNo.River Basin, Taiwan,” Engineering Geology, Vol.123, No.1–2, pp. 72-82, 2011.
-  T. R. West, “Geology Applied to Engineering,” Prentice Hall, 1995.
-  W. J. Zhang, Y. M. Chen, and L. T. Zhan, “Loading/unloading response ratio theory applied in predicting deep-seated landslides triggering,” Engineering Geology, Vol.82, No.4, pp. 234-240, 2006.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.