Model of Tsunami Preparedness for Indonesian Tsunami Prone Areas Communities
Any Nurhayaty*, Supra Wimbarti*, Radianta Triatmadja**, and Thomas D. Hastjarjo*
*Faculty of Psychology, Universitas Gadjah Mada
**Faculty of Engineering, Universitas Gadjah Mada
A tsunami disaster normally happens minutes to hours after an earthquake. Indonesia is prone to tsunamis that may be triggered by activity at plates’ boundaries surrounding the archipelago. In order to mitigate the risks and to prepare the people against the hazard a model that relates important variables influencing the degree of preparedness is required. Such model is not yet available for people with highly collectivistic culture such as Indonesia.
The study is aimed primarily at establishing a new model of preparedness against tsunami based on an existing model by accommodating a sense of community variable which is missing in the existing model. The existing model was developed based on an individualistic culture of Kodiak Alaska. In Indonesia where the culture is highly collectivistic, such a variable may play important role in the tsunami preparedness model. The model was tested on Parangtritis and Banda Aceh communities of Indonesia. The results were compared with the existing model where the sense of community variable is absent. The inter-related dependence relationships of variables in the existing model are found to be largely similar to those in the proposed models of tsunami preparedness in Indonesia with two significant differences. First the sense of community is the most important variable that affects empowerment, whilst the influence of community participation on empowerment is much lower in Indonesia. Secondly the community participation has insignificant direct influence on the preparedness within the collectivistic community. Therefore it may be concluded that direct community development through preparedness education and information without considering the sense of community within the collectivistic community is not likely to give significant results to preparedness improvement.
-  R. Triatmadja, “Tsunami: Kejadian, Penjalaran, Daya Rusak, dan Mitigasinya,” Yogyakarta: Gadjah Mada University Press, 2010.
-  A. Muhari, S. Diposaptono, and F. Imamura, “Toward an Integrated Tsunami Disaster Mitigation: Lessons Learned from Previous Tsunami Events in Indonesia,” Journal of Natural Disaster Science. Vol.29, No.1, pp. 13-19, 2007.
-  C. D. Forbes, “The #1 handbook to practical disaster preparedness for the family. Emergency Preparedness,” Tru Divine Publication, 2012.
-  D. Berman, “Calamity: How to Survive Natural Disasters, Tsunami, Earthquakes, Types of Natural Disasters and More,” Tru Divine Publication, 2013.
-  Earth Observatory of Singapore, “West Sumatra Tectonics and Tsunami Hazard, Outreach,” 2015, http://www.earthobservatory.sg/ outreach/natural-hazard-outreach/west-sumatra-tectonics-and-tsunami-hazard [accessed June 2015]
-  M. Idrus, “Menata Domain Psikologis Paska Bencana,” Yogyakarta : UII, 2006.
-  A. S. Ibrahim, “Gempa, Tsunami, dan Stres,” 2005, http://gis. bmg.go.id/gempabumitextunderscore aceh/berita46.asp [retrieved June 2015]
-  K. Kharismawan, Panduan Program Psikososial Paska Bencana. Semarang: Center For Trauma Recovery Unika Soegijapranata, 2014, on line: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc= s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CB8QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2 Fsintak.unika.ac.id%2Fstaff%2Fblog%2Fuploaded%2F581200325 7%2Ffiles%2Fbukutextunderscore panduantextunderscore psikososialtextunderscore 2.doc&ei=LrC0VNn4H o7luQTzhoKIDg&usg=AFQjCNE3wZ-c7VMUtt7M43qCbhKT0 HB7XQ&bvm=bv.83339334,d.c2E&cad=rja [retrieved, Dec 2014]
-  T. Murtakhamah, “Pengalaman Perempuan dan Inisiasi Pusat Krisis Berbasis Komunitas untuk Pengurangan Resiko Bencana,” Makalah disajikan dalam Konferensi Nasional Pengurangan Resiko Bencana Berbasis Komunitas VII, 2011.
-  People’s Representative Council and President of Indonesia, Undang Undang Nomor 24 Tahun 2007 Tentang Penanggulangan Bencana, Lembaran Negara Republik Indoneia, 2007.
-  United Nation Office for Disaster Risk Reduction, “Terminology on Disaster Risk Reduction,” UNISDR, retrieved June 2015, 2007.
-  Lembaga Ilmu Pengetahuan Indonesia – United Nations Educational and Scientific Cooperation/International Strategy for Disaster Reduction, Kajian Kesiapsiagaan Masyarakat dalam Mengantisipasi Bencana Gempa Bumi dan Tsunami, Jakarta: LIPI, 2006.
-  D. Paton, “Risk Communication And Natural Hazard Mitigation: How Trust Influences Its Effectiveness,” Int. Journal Global Environmental, Issues 8, pp. 2-15, 2008.
-  D. Paton and D. Johnston, “Disaster Resilience: An Integrated Approach,” Charles Thomas Pub., 2006.
-  H. W. Kee and R. E. Knox, “Conceptual And Methodological Considerations In The Study Of Trust And Suspicion,” Journal of Conflict Resolution, Vol.14, pp. 357-366, 1970.
-  R. Mayer, J. Davis, and F. Schoorman, “An Integrative Model Of Organizational Trust,” Academy of Management Review, Vol.20, pp. 709-734, 1995.
-  D. Paton, B. F. Houghton, and C. E. Gregg et al., “Managing Tsunami Risk in Coastal Communities: Identifying Predictors of Preparedness,” The Australian Journal of Emergency Management, Vol.23, pp. 4-9, 2008.
-  G. Hofstede and G. J. Hofstede, “Cultures and Organizations,” Software of the Mind (2nd edn),McGraw-Hill, 2005.
-  J. A. Vandello and D. Cohen, “Pattern of Individualism and Collectivism Across the United States,” Journal of Personal and Social Psychology, Vol.77, No.2, pp. 279-292, 1999.
-  Department of Labor and Workforce Development, Research and Analysis Section, State of Alaska, “2010 Census Demographic Profile,” 2014, http://live.laborstats.alaska.gov/cen/dparea.cfm?CFID =5382487&CFTOKEN=a74c7dbe561742ad-2B9BAF49-F277-A727-824D3B5F092749D0&jsessionid=8430484465ba87adf41c 4d271177281 a3b79 [retrieved Dec, 2014]
-  D. Paton, N. Okada, and S. Sagala, “Understanding Preparedness for Natural Hazards: A Cross Cultural Comparison,” Journal of Integrated Disaster Risk Management, pp. 18-35, 2013.
-  G. Hofstede, “Culture’s Cpnsequences: Comparing Values, Bahaviors, Institutions and Organizations across Nations,” Thousand Oaks CA: Sage, 2001.
-  S. Wimbarti and A. Nurhayaty, “Kesiapsiagaan Terhadap Tsunami Pada Masyarakat di Daerah Rawan Tsunami,” Laporan akhir penelitian Hibah Bersaing, UGM, 2011 (unpublished report).
-  W. Kongko, “South Java Tsunami Model Using Highly Resolved Data and Probable Tsunamigenic Sources. Disertation,” Faculty of Civil Engineering and Geodetic Science, Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz University Hannover, 2011.
-  Ministry of Public Work, “Rehabilitasi Bencana Alam Gempa Bumi dan Tsunami di Selatan Pulau Jawa,” 2006, http://ciptakarya.pu.go.id/dok/tsunamitextunderscore jawa/index.htm [retrieved June 2015]
-  Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission, “Tsunami Glossary,” 2013 Revised Edition, Paris, UNESCO, IOC Technical Series, Vol.85, IOC/2008/TS/85rev, 2013 (in English).
-  National Geophysical Data Center / World Data Service (NGDC/WDS), “Global Historical Tsunami Database,” National Geophysical Data Center, NOAA, 2015, https://www.ngdc.noaa. gov/hazard/tsutextunderscore db.shtml [accessed July 2015]
-  A. Susanto, “Teologi Bencana, Kembali Ke Zona Bahaya Tsunami,” 2013, http://cetak.kompas.com/read/2013/03/07/03211128/ mboxkembali.ke. zona.bahaya.tsunami… [retrieved June 2015]
-  A. Kita, “Lampulo: Nadi Perekonomian Banda Aceh,” 2011, http:// www.acehkita.com/2011/12/citizen-lampulo-nadi-perekonomian-banda-aceh/ [retrieved June 2015]
-  Atjehpost, “Sembilan Tahun Tsunami Aceh,” 2013, http:// atjehpost.co/articles/read/57/Sembilan-Tahun-Tsunami-Aceh [retrieved June 2015]
-  L. Guttman, “Louis Guttman on Theory and Methodology: Selected Writings,” Dartmouth Pub Co, 1993.
-  D. Paton, L. M. Smith, and D. Johnston, “When Good Intentions Turn Bad: Promoting Disaster Preparedness,” The Australian Journal of Emergency Management, Vol.20, No.1, pp. 25-30, 2005.
-  P. Bennet and S. Murphy, “Psychology and Health Promotion,” Buckingham Philadelphia: Open University Press, 1997.
-  R. Likert, “A technique for the measurement of attitudes,” Archives of Psychology, Vol.22, No.140, pp. 5-55, 1932.
-  B. Bishop, D. Paton, G. Syme, and B. Nancarrow, “Coping With Environmental Degradation: Salination As A Community Stressor,” Network, Vol.12, pp. 1-15, 2000.
-  D. Paton, L. Smith, D. Daly, and D. Johnston, “Risk perception and volcanic hazard mitigation: Individual and social perspectives,” Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, Vol.172, pp. 179-188, 2008.
-  E. Eng and E. Parker, “Measuring Community Competence In The Mississippi Deltas: The Interface Between Program Evaluation And Empowerment,” Health Education Quarterly, Vol.21, pp. 199-220, 1994.
-  S. Zaccaro, V. Blair, C. Peterson, and M. Zazanis, “Collective Efficacy,” Self-efficacy, adaptation and adjustment (h. 305–328), Plenum Press, 1995.
-  P. W. Speer and N. A. Peterson, “Psychometric Properties of an Empowerment Scale: Testing Cognitive, Emotional, and Behavioral Domains,” Social Work Research, Vol.24, No.2, pp. 109-118, 2000.
-  M. S. Garver and J. T. Mentzer, “Logistics Research Methods: Employing Structural Equation Modeling To Test For Construct Validity,” Journal of Business Logistics, Vol.20, No.1, pp. 33-57, 1999.
-  R. P. Bagozzi, R. P. Davis, and P. R. Warshaw, “Development and Test of a Theory of Technological Learning and Usage,” Human Relations, Vol.45, pp. 659-664, 1992.
-  A. H. Segars and V. Grover, “Strategic Information System Planing Succes: An Investigation of the Construct and Its Measurement,” MIS Quarterly. Vol.22, No.2, pp. 139-163, 1998.
-  K. G. Joreskog and D. Sorbom, “Recent Developments in Structural Equation Modeling,” Journal of Marketing Research, Vol.19, pp. 404-416, 1982.
-  U. Dachlan, “Panduan Lengkap Struktural Equation Modeling,” Semarang: Lentera Ilmu, 2014.
-  J. F. Hair, R. E. Anderson, R. L. Tatham, and W. C. Black, “Multivariate Data Analysis,” Prentice-Hall International, 1995.
-  S. Wimbarti and A. Nurhayaty, “Kesiapsiagaan Terhadap Tsunami Pada Masyarakat di Daerah Rawan Tsunami,” Laporan midterm penelitian Hibah Bersaing, UGM, 2011 (unpublished report).
-  D. Paton, and P. Büurgelt, “Living With Bushfire Risk: Residents’ Accounts Of Their Bushfire Preparedness Behaviour,” Makalah disajikan pada Australasian Fire Authorities Council & Bushfire CRC Innovation and Technology Conf., 2005.
-  S. Sagala, N. Okada, and D. Paton, “Predictors of Intention to Prepare for Volcanic Risks, A case study of Mt. Merapi,” Journal of Pacific Rim Psychology, Vol.3, No.2, pp. 47-54, 2009.
-  T. Earle, “Thinking Aloud About Trust: A Protocol Analysis Of Trust In Risk Management,” Risk Analysis, Vol.24, pp. 169-183, 2004.
-  D. Paton, P. T. Büurgelt, and T. Prior, “Living with Bushfire Risk: Social and Environmental Influences On Preparedness,” Australian Journal of Emergency Management, Vol.23, No.3, pp. 41-48., 2008.
-  E. Diener and E. M. dan Suh, “Culture And Subjective Well-Being,” MIT Press, 2000.
-  H. C. Triandis, “Individualism and collectivism,” Westview., 1995.
-  H. C. Triandis, “The Psychological Measurement Of Cultural Syndromes,” American Psychologist, Vol.51, pp. 407-415, 1996.
-  D. M. Chavis and A. Wandersman, “Sense of Community in Urban Environment: A Catalyst for Participation and Community Development,” American Journal of Community Psychology, Vol.18, No.1, pp. 55-81, 1990.
-  M. Colombo, C. Mosso, and N. De Piccoli, “Sense of Community and Participation in Urban Contexts,” Journal of Community and Applied Social Psychology, Vol.11, No.6, pp. 457-464, 2001.
-  A. N. Peterson and R. J. Reid, “Paths to Psychological Empowerment in an Urban Community: Sense Of Community and Citizen Participation in Substance Abuse Prevention Activities,” Journal of Community Psychology, Vol.31, pp. 25-38, 2003.
-  P. W. Speer, “Intrapersonal and Interactional Empowerment: Implications for Theory,” Journal of Community Psychology, Vol.28, No.1, pp. 51-61, 2002.
-  A. Wandersman and P. Florin, “Citizen Participation And Community Organizations,” Handbook of Community Psychology, pp. 247-272, Kluwer, 2000.
-  D. M. Hummon, “Community Attachment: Local Sentiment And Sense Of Place,” Place attachment, Plenum Press., 1992.
-  S. M. Low, and I. Altman, “Place Attachment: A Conceptual Inquiry,” Place Attachment, pp. 253-278, Plenum Press., 1992.
-  B. D. Christens, N. A. Peterson, and P. W. Speer, “Community Participation and Psychological Empowerment: Testing Reciprocal Causality Using a Cross-Lagged Panel Design and Latent Constructs,” Health Education & Behavior, Vol.38, No.4, pp. 339-347, 2011.
-  B. A. Israel, B. Checkoway, A. Schultz, and M. A. Zimmerman, “Health Education And Community Empowerment: Conceptualizing And Measuring Perceptions Of Individual, Organizational, And Community Control,” Health Education, Quarterly, Vol.21, pp. 149-170, 1994.
-  M. A. B. Zimmerman A. Israel, A. Schulz, and B. Checkoway, “Further Explorations In Empowerment Theory: An Empirical Analysis Of Psychological Empowerment,” American Journal of Community Psychology, Vol.20, pp. 707-727, 1992.
-  R. Rich, M. Edelstein, W. K. Hallman, and A. H. Wandersman, “Citizen participation and empowerment: The case of local environmental hazards,” American Journal of Community Psychology, Vol.23, pp. 657-676, 1995.
-  A. J. Schulz, B. A. Israel, M. A. Zimmerman, and B. N. Checkoway, “Empowerment as a multi-level construct: Perceived control at the individual, organizational and community levels,” Health Education Research, Vol.10, pp. 309-327, 1995.
-  D. Paton, R. Bajek, N. Okada, and D. McIcor, “Predicting Community Earthquake Preparedness: A Cross-Cultural Comparison of Japan and New Zealand,” Natural Hazards, Vol.54, pp. 765-781, 2010.
-  S. Tatsuki, H. Hayashi, D. Zoleta, B. Nates, M. Banba, K. Hasegawa, and K. Tamura, “The Impact of Risk Perception, Disaster Schema, Resources, Intention, Attitude, and Norms upon Risk Aversive Behavior among Marikina City Residents: Structural Equation Modeling with Latent Variables,” Proc. Asia Conf. On Earthquake Engineering, pp. 22, 2004.
-  S. Alons, T. K. Bouman, and S. Wimbarti, “You Cannot Sweep the Floor with Just One Lidi,” Master Thesis, University of Groningen, The Netherland, 2009.
-  S. Murata, F. Imamura, and K. Katoh, “Tsunami: To Survive from Tsunami,” World Scientific Publishing co., 2009.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.