Developing Manga-Style Tsunami Information Materials Based on the March 11, 2011 Great East Japan Earthquake
Ma. Mylene Martinez-Villegas, Lucille Rose Del Monte,
Renato U. Solidum, Jr., John Paul Fallarme,
Monique Realis, Melcario Pagtalunan, and Eumelia Belo
Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology – Department of Science and Technology (PHIVOLCS–DOST), PHIVOLCS Bldg., C. P. Garcia Avenue, Diliman, Quezon City, Philippines
People in other countries may benefit from learning about survivors’ experiences of the March 11, 2011 Great East Japan Earthquake and Tsunami. The Philippines has a similar tectonic setting to Japan. The experiences of Filipinos living in Japan during the event were documented in face-to-face interviews conducted three months after the event; data from these interviews were compiled and reviewed. From among the survivors’ experiences, four stories were selected for depiction in manga-style comics, which are popular among young people. Using storyboarding, each of the featured stories was carefully illustrated to present important details that readers could easily understand and relate to.
Renato U. Solidum, Jr., John Paul Fallarme,
Monique Realis, Melcario Pagtalunan, and Eumelia Belo, “Developing Manga-Style Tsunami Information Materials Based on the March 11, 2011 Great East Japan Earthquake,” J. Disaster Res., Vol.10, No.1, pp. 145-149, 2015.
-  M. L. P. Bautista, B. C. Bautista, J. C. Salcedo, and I. C. Narag, “Philippine Tsunamis and Seiches (1589-2012),” Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology, 110pp., 2012.
-  V. L. Badillo and T. C. Astilla, “Moro Gulf Tsunami of August 17, 1976, Special Committee on Tsunami Warning System,” National Committee on Marine Sciences, National Science Development Board, Philippines, 35pp., 1978.
-  PHIVOLCS, “The 15 November 1994 Mindoro Earthquake,” Quick Response Team Report, 1995.
-  M. Ando, M. Ishida, Y. Hayashi, C. Mizuki, Y, Nishikawa, and Y. Tu, “Interviewing insigths regarding the fatalities inflicted by the 2011 Great East Japan Earthquake,” Nat. Hazards Earth Syst. Sci, Vol.13, pp. 2173-2187, 2013.
-  M. L. Martinez-Villegas, R. U. Solidum, H. Inoue, H. Imai, A. Lanuza, H Penarubia, M. Pagtalunan, M. L. P. Melosantos, J. Salcedo, I. Narag, M. Lasala, M. A. V. Bornas, P. Delos Reyes, and B. Bautista, “Filipinos in Japan: Narratives of Experience from the March 11, 2011 Great East Japan Earthquake and Tsunami,” Journal of Disaster Research, Vol.10, No.1, 2015 (this issue).
-  C. L. Paul, S. Redman, and R. W. Sanson-Fisher, “Print material content and design: is it relevant to effectiveness?” Health Education Research Theory and Practice, Vol.18, No.2, pp. 181-190.
-  R. Kimura and Y. Hayashi, “Graduate School of Environmental Studies, Nagoya University Behavioral and Psychological Pattern of Victims in the 1945 Mikawa Earthquake – Focused on Disorientation Phase: around 100 Hours after Earthquake Occurred –,” The Society of Historical Earthquake Studies, Vol.22, pp. 127-143, 2006 (in Japanese).
-  R. Kimura and H. Hayashi, “Development of Education Programs and Materials for DisasterMitigation andPreparedness using Victims’ Experiences of Local Historical Disaster,” Institute of Social Safety Science, Vol.11, pp. 215-224, 2009 (in Japanese).
-  J. Nakazawa, “Development of Manga (Comic Book) Literacy in Children,” Applied Development Psychology: Theory, Practice, and Research from Japan, pp. 23-42, 2005.
-  H. Ihara, “Manga: a tool for better thinking, Education in Japan Community,”
https://educationinjapan.wordpress.com/resourceroom/manga-an-educational-tool/ [accessed December 1, 2014]
-  M. L. Martinez-Villegas, R. U. Solidum, Jr., C. Q. Villanueva, L. R. Del Monte, I. C. Narag, M. L. Bautista, and B. C. Bautista, “Development of Earthquake and Tsunami Preparedness Information, Education and Communication Strategy: The Philippine Experience,” Proc., Int. Conf. on TsunamiWarning (ICTW), Bali, Indonesia, 2008.
-  N. Kasami, “The Effectiveness Evaluation of Manga-based Teaching Materials for Network Literacy,” Proc. of Society for Information Technology and Teacher Education, pp. 1130-1135, 2010,
retrieved 2014 from http://www.editib.org/p/33507/ [accessed December 2, 2014]
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.