Filipinos in Japan: Narratives of Experience from the March 11, 2011 Great East Japan Earthquake and Tsunami
Ma. Mylene Martinez-Villegas*, Renato U. Solidum, Jr.*,
Hiroshi Inoue**, Hiroshi Imai**, Angelito G. Lanuza*,
Henremagne C. Penarubia*, Melcario Pagtalunan*,
Ma. Lynn P. Melosantos*, Joan L. Cruz-Salcedo*,
Ishmael C. Narag*, Melchor Lasala*, Ma. Antonia V. Bornas*,
Perla J. Delos Reyes*, and Bartolome Bautista*
*Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology – Department of Science and Technology (PHIVOLCS–DOST), PHIVOLCS Bldg., C.P. Garcia Avenue, Diliman, Quezon City, Philippines
**National Research Institute of Earth Science and Disaster Prevention (NIED), 3-1 Tennodai, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan
(1) Do NOT panic.
(2) Do NOT return home to pick anyone or anything up, especially if you live near the coast.
(3) Do NOT drive or use a car when evacuating.
-  A. C. Yalciner, C. Ozer, A. Zaytsev, A. Suppasri, E. Mas, N. Kalligeris, O. Necmioglu, F. Imamura, N. Ozel, and C. Synolakis, “Field Survey on the Coastal Impacts of March 2011 Great East Japan Tsunami,” WCCE-TCCE Joint Conference 2, Seismic Protection of Cultural Heritage, pp. 123-140, 2011.
-  M. Ando, M. Ishida, Y. Hayashi, C. Mizuki, Y, Nishikawa, and Y. Tu, “Interviewing insights regarding the fatalities inflicted by the 2011 Great East Japan Earthquake,” Nat. Hazards Earth Syst. Sci, Vol.13, pp. 2173-2187, 2013.
-  R. Sokharbi, “Japan’s megaquake and killer tsunami: How did this happen?” 2011,
http://www.earthmagazine.org/article/japansmegaquake-and-killer-tsunami-how-did-happen [accessed August 2, 2014]
-  T. Ozaki, “JMA’s Tsunami Warning for the 2011 Great Tohoku Earthquake and Tsunami Warning Improvement Plan,” Journal of Disaster Research, Vol.7, No.sp, pp. 439-445, 2012.
-  K. Satake, “The 2011 Tohoku, Japan, earthquake and tsunami,” Extreme Natural Hazards, Disaster Risks and Societal Implications, pp. 310-321, Cambridge University Press, 2014.
-  EERI Special Earthquake Report, “The March 11, 2011, Great East Japan (Tohoku) Earthquake and Tsunami: Societal Dimensions,” 22pp., 2011.
-  S. Konishimura, S. Hayashi, and H. Gokon, “Lessons from the 2011 Tohoku Earthquake Tsunami Disaster,” Journal of Disaster Research, Vol.8, No.4, pp. 549-560, 2013.
-  N. Y. Yun andM. Hamada, “Evacuation Behaviors in the 2011 Great East Japan Earthquake,” Journal of Disaster Research, Vol.7, No.sp, pp. 458- 467, 2012.
-  M. F. Shah and O. Murao, “Foreigners’ Evacuation Behavior in the Great East Japan Earthquake: A Case of Iwaki City in Fukushima Prefecture,” Journal of Disaster Research, Vol.8, No.sp, pp. 802-813, 2013.
-  A. Kawasaki and K. Meguro, “Comparing the disaster information gathering behaviour and post-disaster actions of Japanese and foreigners in the Kanto area after the 2011 Tohoku Earthquake,” 15 WCEE, 2012.
-  M. Henry, A. Kawasaki, and K. Meguro, “Disaster Information Gathering Behavior after the Tohoku Earthquake Part 2: Results of foreign respondents,” Proc. of the 10th Int. Symposium on New Technologies for Urban Safety of Magacities in Asia (CD-Rom), 2011.
-  M. L. P. Bautista, B. C. Bautista, J. C. Salcedo, and I. C. Narag, “Philippine Tsunamis and Seiches (1589-2012),” Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology, Quezon City, 110pp., 2012.
-  M. L. Martinez-Villegas, R. U. Solidum Jr., C. Q. Villanueva, L. R. Del Monte, I. C. Narag, M. L. Bautista, and B. C. Bautista, “Development of Earthquake and Tsunami Preparedness Information, Education and Communication Strategy: The Philippine Experience,” Proc. Int. Conf. on Tsunami Warning (ICTW), 2008.
-  D. J. Clandinin and J. Huber, “Narrative inquiry,” Int. encyclopedia of education (3rd Ed.), Mew York, NY, Elsevier:
http://mofet.macam.ac.il/amitim/iun//CollaborativeResearch/Documents/NarrativeInquiry.pdf [accessed August 2, 2014]
-  M. F. Connelly and D. J. Clandinin, “Stories of Experience and Narrative Inquiry,” Educational Researcher, Vol.19, No.5, pp. 2-14, 1990.
-  R. E. Gray, K. D. Fergus, and M. I. Fitch, “Two black men with prostate cancer a narrative approach,” British Journal of Health Psychology, Vol.10, pp. 71-84, 2005.
-  I. Frid, J. Ohlen, and I. Bergbom, “On the use of narratives in nursing research,” Journal of Advanced Nursing, Vol.32, pp. 695-703.
-  M. Sandelowski, “Telling stories: Narrative Approaches in Qualitative Research,” Journal of Nursing Scholarship, Vol.23, No.3, pp. 161-166, 1991.
-  C. K. Riessman, “Narrative Analysis,” The Sage Encyclopedia of Social Science Research Methods, Vol.3, Sage.
-  Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA), “Lessons learned from the tsunami disaster caused by the 2011 Great East Japan Earthquake and improvements in JMA’s tsunami warning system,” 2013.
-  V. L. Badillo and T. C. Astilla, “Moro Gulf Tsunami of August 17, 1976, Special Committee on Tsunami Warning System.” National Committee on Marine Sciences, National Science Development Board, Philippines, 35pp., 1978.
-  PHIVOLCS, “The 15 November 1994 Mindoro Earthquake,” Quick Response Team Report, 1995.
-  H. W. Fischer, III, G. F. Stine, B. L. Stoker, M. L. Trowbridge, and E. M. Drain, “Evacuation behaviour: why do some evacuate, while others do not? A Case study of the Ephrata, Pennyslvania,(USA) evacuation,” Disaster Prevention and Management, Vol.4, No.4, pp. 30-36, 1995.
-  S. Samaddar, B. A .Misra, R. Chaterjee, and H. Tatano, “Understanding the Community’s evacuation intention. Development process in a Flood Prone Micro-Spot, Mumbai,” Journal of Integrated Disaster Risk Management, Vol.2, No.2, pp. 1-19, 2012.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.