Electromagnetic Observations at Taal Volcano
Paul Karson Alanis*, Yoichi Sasai**, and Toshiyasu Nagao**,†
*Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (PHIVOLCS), C.P. Garcia Ave., UP Diliman, Quezon City 1100, Philippines
**Earthquake Prediction Research Center (EPRC), Tokai University, Orido 3-20-1, Shimizu, Shizuoka 424-0902, Japan
-  R. C. Torres, S. Self, and R. S. Punongbayan, “Attention focuses on Taal: Decade volcano of the Philippines,” Eos, Transactions American Geophysical Union, Vol.76, pp. 241-247, 1995.
-  J. Zlotnicki, Y. Sasai, P. Yvetot, Y. Nishida, M. Uyeshima, F. Fauquet, H. Utada, Y. Takahashi, and G. Donnadieu, “Resistivity and self-potential changes associated with volcanic activity: The July 8, 2000 Miyakejima eruption (Japan),” Earth Planet Science Letters, Vol.205, No.3-4, pp. 139-154, 2003.
-  A. Müller and V. Haak, “3-D modeling of the deep electrical conductivity of Merapi Volcano (Central Java): integrating magnetotellurics, induction vectors and the effects of steep topography,” J. of Volcanological Geothermal Research, Vol.138, pp. 205-222, 2004.
-  Nurhassan, Y. Ogawa, N. Ujihara, S. B. Tank, Y. Honkura, S. Onizawa, T. Mori, and M. Makino, “Two electrical conductors beneath Kusatsu-Shirane Volcano, Japan, imaged by audiomagnetotellurics, and their implications for the hydrothermal system,” Earth Planets Space, Vol.58, pp. 1053-1059, 2006.
-  M. R. Ingham, H. M. Bibby, W. Heise, K. A. Jones, P. Cairns, S. Dravitzki, S. L. Bennie, T. G. Caldwell, and Y. Ogawa, “A magnetotelluric study of Mount Ruapehu Volcano, New Zealand,” Geophys. Journal Int., Vol.179, pp. 887-904, 2009.
-  G. J. Hill, T. G. Caldwell, W. Heise, D. G. Chertkoff, H. M. Bibby, M. K. Burgess, and R. A. F. Cas, “Distributions of melt beneath Mount St Helens and Mount Adams inferred from magnetotelluric data,” Nat. Geoscience, Vol.2, pp. 785-789, 2009.
-  Y. Yamaya, T. Mogi, T. Hashimoto, and H. Ichihara, “Hydrothermal system beneath the crater of Tarumai Volcano, Japan: 3-D resistivity structure revealed using audio-magnetotellurics and induction vector,” J. of Volcanological Geothermal Research, Vol.187, pp. 193-202, 2009.
-  W. Kanda, M. Utsugi, Y. Tanaka, T. Hashimoto, I. Fujii, T. Hasenaka, and N. Shigeno “A heating process of Kuchi-erabujima Volcano, Japan, as inferred from geomagnetic field variations and electrical structure,” J. of Volcanological Geothermal Research, Vol.189, pp. 158-171, 2010.
-  B. Oskooi and A. Manzella, “2-D inversion of the magnetotelluric data from the Travale geothermal field in Italy,” J. of Earth and Space Physics, Vol.36, No.4, pp. 1-18, 2011.
-  M. Harada, J. Sabit, Y. Sasai, P. K B. Alanis, J. M. Cordon, E. G. Corpuz, J. Zlotnicki, T. Nagao, and B. J. Punongbayan, “Magnetic and electric field monitoring at Taal volcano, Part I: Magnetic measurements,” Proc. of the Japan Academy, Ser B-Phys., Vol.81, pp. 261-266, 2005.
-  Y. Sasai, M. Harada, J. P. Sabit, J. Zlotnicki, Y. Tanaka, J. M. Cordon, S. Uyeda, T. Nagao, and J. S. Sincioco, “Geomagnetic and Topographic Survey of the Main Crater Lake in Taal Volcano (Philippines): Preliminary Report,” J. of Geography, Vol.117, pp. 894-900, 2008 (in Japanese with English abstract).
-  J. Zlotnicki, Y. Sasai, J. P. Toutain, E. U. Villacorte, A. Bernard, J. P. Sabit, J. M. Cordon, E. G. Corpuz, M. Harada, B. J. Punongbayan, H. Hase, and T. Nagao “Combined electromagnetic, geochemical and thermal surveys of Taal volcano (Philippines) during the period 2005-2006,” Bull. of Volcanology, Vol.71, pp. 29-47, 2009.
-  A. Aguilar, J. Puertollano, G. Malipot, P. Reniva, and W. Reyes, “The 2009 resistivity survey of Taal Volcano,” Proc. of the 2010 EMSEV-PHIVOLCS Workshop, Quezon City, Philippines, 2010.
-  I. Fikos, G. Vargemezis, J. Zlotnicki, J. R. Puertollano, P. K. B. Alanis, R. C. Pigtain, E. U. Villacorte, G. Malipot, and Y. Sasai, “Electrical resisitivity tomography of Taal volcano hydrothermal system, Philippines,” Bull. of Volcanology, 2012.
-  C. M. Hamburger, R. K. Cardwell, and B. I. Isacks, “Seismotectonics of the Philippine island arc,” AGU Geophys. Monograph, Vol.27, pp. 1-22, 1983.
-  U. Knittel and D. Oles, “Volcanism Associated with Extension at Consuming Plate Margins,” in: J. L. Smelie (Ed.), “Basaltic volcanism associated with extensional tectonics in the Taiwan-Luzon island arc: Evidence for non-depleted sources and subduction zone enrichment,” Geol. Society of London, Special Publication, Vol.81, pp. 77-93, 1995.
-  E. L. Listanco, “Taal Volcano,” Field Guide Book for the Int. Conf. on Materials Recycling Near Convergent Plate Boundaries, Puerto Azul, Philippines, pp. 5-41, 1997.
-  E. G. Ramos, “Bathymetry Map of Taal Main Crater Lake,” PHIVOLCS internal map, 1986.
-  E. T. Del Mundo, “Taal Volcano Reference Notes,” PHIVOLCS Internal Document, Quezon City, pp. 1-22, 2008.
-  A. Alcaraz and R. Datuin, “Geothermal phenomena of the 1965 phreatomagmatic eruption of Taal Volcano,” J. of the Geological Society of the Philippines, Vol.28, pp. 31-40, 1974.
-  C. R. Collin, A. Salvi, D. Lemercier, P. Lemercier, and F. Robach, “Magnetometre differentiel a haute sensitibite,” Geophys. Prospecting, Vol.21, pp. 704-715, 1973.
-  Y. Yamaya, P. K. B. Alanis, A. Takeuchi, J. M. Cordon, T. Mogi, T. Hashimoto, Y. Sasai, and T. Nagao, “A large hydrothermal reservoir beneath Taal Volcano (Philippines) revealed by magnetotelluric resistivity survey: 2-D resistivity modeling,” Bull. of Volcanology, Vol.75, pp. 729, 2013.
-  Y. Ogawa and T. Uchida, “A two-dimensional magnetotelluric inversion assuming Gaussian static shift,” Geophys. Journal Int., Vol.126, pp. 69-76, 1996.
-  P. K. B. Alanis, Y. Yamaya, A. Takeuchi, Y. Sasai, Y. Okada, and T. Nagao, “A large hydrothermal reservoir beneath Taal Volcano (Philippines) revealed by magnetotelluric observations and its implications to the volcanic activity,” Proc. of the Japan Academy, Ser. B-Phys. 89, 2013.
-  E. Y. Fomenko and T. Mogi, “A new computation method for a staggered grid of 3D EM field conservative modeling,” Earth Planets Space, Vol.54, pp. 499-509, 2002.
-  P. Delmelle, M. Kusakabe, A. Bernard, T. Fischer, S. De Brouwer, and E. T. Del Mundo, “Geochemical and isotopic evidence for seawater contamination of the hydrothermal system of Taal Volcano, Luzon, the Philippines,” Bull. of Volcanology, Vol.59, pp. 562-576, 1998.
-  B. A. Bartel, M. W. Hamburger, C. M. Meertens, A. R. Lowry, and E. Corpuz, “Dynamics of magmatic and hydrothermal systems at Taal Volcano, Philippines, from continuous GPS measurements,” J. of Geophysical Research, Vol.108, No.B10, pp. 2475, 2003.
-  K. Nishigami, T. Shibutani, T. Ohkura, M. Hirata, H. Horikawa, K. Shimizu, S. Matsuo, S. Nakao, M. Ando, B. C. Bautista, L. P. Bautista, E. S. Barcelona, R. Valerio, A. G. Lanuza, A. V. Chu, J. J. Villegas, A. R. Rasdas, E. A. Mangao, E. Gabinete, B. J. Punongbayan, and R. S. Punongbayan, “Shallow crustal structure beneathTaal volcano, Philippines, revealed by the Seismic Explosion Survey,” Bull. of the Disaster Prevention Research Institute, Kyoto University, Vol.44, pp. 123-138, 1994.
-  Y. Maeda, H. Kumagai, R. Lacson, M. S. Figueroa, and T. Yamashina, “Source process of long-period seismic events at Taal Volcano, Philippines: Vapor transportation and condensation in a shallow hydrothermal fissure,” J. of Geophysical Research, Solid Earth, Vol.118, pp. 2832-2846, 2013.
-  I. Yokoyama, A. Alcaraz, and O. Peña, “Gravimetric studies of Taal Volcano, Philippines,” Bull, of Volcanology Vol.39, pp. 479-489, 1975.
-  S. Maso, “The eruption of Taal Volcano Jan. 30, 1911,” Weather Bureau Report Manila, pp. 1-45, 1911.
-  D. C. Worcester, “Taal Volcano and its recent destructive eruption,” Natl. Geographical Magazine, Vol.23, pp. 313-367, 1911.
-  P. R. L. Browne and J. V. Lawless, “Characteristics of hydrothermal eruptions, with examples from New Zealand and elsewhere,” Earth Science Review, Vol.52, pp. 299-331, 2001.
-  S. G. Catane, H. Taniguchi, A. Goto, A. P. Givero, and A. A. Mandanas, “Explosive volcanism in the Philippines,” CNEAS Monograph Series 18, Tohoku University Press, pp. 54-64, 2005.
-  F. A. Barberi, P. L. Bertagnini, and C. Principe, “A review on phreatic eruptions and their precursors,” J. of Volcanological Geothermal Research, Vol.54, pp. 231-246, 1992.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.