Electromagnetic Observations at Taal Volcano
Paul Karson Alanis*, Yoichi Sasai**, and Toshiyasu Nagao**,†
*Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (PHIVOLCS), C.P. Garcia Ave., UP Diliman, Quezon City 1100, Philippines
**Earthquake Prediction Research Center (EPRC), Tokai University, Orido 3-20-1, Shimizu, Shizuoka 424-0902, Japan
The electromagnetic (EM) method first applied to monitor the activity of the Taal Volcano from 2005 consists of repeatedly surveying total magnetic intensity (TMF) and continuously measuring EM fields. The EM observation system was greatly improved through the SATREPS project summarized in this paper. The resistivity structure is investigated in the project using the magnetotelluric (MT) method. The MT method revealed a large hydrothermal reservoir just beneath the center of Volcano Island. The existence of this reservoir explains several things – the special features of the devastating 1911 eruption, i.e., that it was magmatic-hydrothermal, together with the geochemical characteristics of Main Crater Lake, especially the absence of SO2 gas. The reservoir’s formation process provides useful suggestions for understanding the volcano’s past eruption cycle.
-  R. C. Torres, S. Self, and R. S. Punongbayan, “Attention focuses on Taal: Decade volcano of the Philippines,” Eos, Transactions American Geophysical Union, Vol.76, pp. 241-247, 1995.
-  J. Zlotnicki, Y. Sasai, P. Yvetot, Y. Nishida, M. Uyeshima, F. Fauquet, H. Utada, Y. Takahashi, and G. Donnadieu, “Resistivity and self-potential changes associated with volcanic activity: The July 8, 2000 Miyakejima eruption (Japan),” Earth Planet Science Letters, Vol.205, No.3-4, pp. 139-154, 2003.
-  A. Müller and V. Haak, “3-D modeling of the deep electrical conductivity of Merapi Volcano (Central Java): integrating magnetotellurics, induction vectors and the effects of steep topography,” J. of Volcanological Geothermal Research, Vol.138, pp. 205-222, 2004.
-  Nurhassan, Y. Ogawa, N. Ujihara, S. B. Tank, Y. Honkura, S. Onizawa, T. Mori, and M. Makino, “Two electrical conductors beneath Kusatsu-Shirane Volcano, Japan, imaged by audiomagnetotellurics, and their implications for the hydrothermal system,” Earth Planets Space, Vol.58, pp. 1053-1059, 2006.
-  M. R. Ingham, H. M. Bibby, W. Heise, K. A. Jones, P. Cairns, S. Dravitzki, S. L. Bennie, T. G. Caldwell, and Y. Ogawa, “A magnetotelluric study of Mount Ruapehu Volcano, New Zealand,” Geophys. Journal Int., Vol.179, pp. 887-904, 2009.
-  G. J. Hill, T. G. Caldwell, W. Heise, D. G. Chertkoff, H. M. Bibby, M. K. Burgess, and R. A. F. Cas, “Distributions of melt beneath Mount St Helens and Mount Adams inferred from magnetotelluric data,” Nat. Geoscience, Vol.2, pp. 785-789, 2009.
-  Y. Yamaya, T. Mogi, T. Hashimoto, and H. Ichihara, “Hydrothermal system beneath the crater of Tarumai Volcano, Japan: 3-D resistivity structure revealed using audio-magnetotellurics and induction vector,” J. of Volcanological Geothermal Research, Vol.187, pp. 193-202, 2009.
-  W. Kanda, M. Utsugi, Y. Tanaka, T. Hashimoto, I. Fujii, T. Hasenaka, and N. Shigeno “A heating process of Kuchi-erabujima Volcano, Japan, as inferred from geomagnetic field variations and electrical structure,” J. of Volcanological Geothermal Research, Vol.189, pp. 158-171, 2010.
-  B. Oskooi and A. Manzella, “2-D inversion of the magnetotelluric data from the Travale geothermal field in Italy,” J. of Earth and Space Physics, Vol.36, No.4, pp. 1-18, 2011.
-  M. Harada, J. Sabit, Y. Sasai, P. K B. Alanis, J. M. Cordon, E. G. Corpuz, J. Zlotnicki, T. Nagao, and B. J. Punongbayan, “Magnetic and electric field monitoring at Taal volcano, Part I: Magnetic measurements,” Proc. of the Japan Academy, Ser B-Phys., Vol.81, pp. 261-266, 2005.
-  Y. Sasai, M. Harada, J. P. Sabit, J. Zlotnicki, Y. Tanaka, J. M. Cordon, S. Uyeda, T. Nagao, and J. S. Sincioco, “Geomagnetic and Topographic Survey of the Main Crater Lake in Taal Volcano (Philippines): Preliminary Report,” J. of Geography, Vol.117, pp. 894-900, 2008 (in Japanese with English abstract).
-  J. Zlotnicki, Y. Sasai, J. P. Toutain, E. U. Villacorte, A. Bernard, J. P. Sabit, J. M. Cordon, E. G. Corpuz, M. Harada, B. J. Punongbayan, H. Hase, and T. Nagao “Combined electromagnetic, geochemical and thermal surveys of Taal volcano (Philippines) during the period 2005-2006,” Bull. of Volcanology, Vol.71, pp. 29-47, 2009.
-  A. Aguilar, J. Puertollano, G. Malipot, P. Reniva, and W. Reyes, “The 2009 resistivity survey of Taal Volcano,” Proc. of the 2010 EMSEV-PHIVOLCS Workshop, Quezon City, Philippines, 2010.
-  I. Fikos, G. Vargemezis, J. Zlotnicki, J. R. Puertollano, P. K. B. Alanis, R. C. Pigtain, E. U. Villacorte, G. Malipot, and Y. Sasai, “Electrical resisitivity tomography of Taal volcano hydrothermal system, Philippines,” Bull. of Volcanology, 2012.
-  C. M. Hamburger, R. K. Cardwell, and B. I. Isacks, “Seismotectonics of the Philippine island arc,” AGU Geophys. Monograph, Vol.27, pp. 1-22, 1983.
-  U. Knittel and D. Oles, “Volcanism Associated with Extension at Consuming Plate Margins,” in: J. L. Smelie (Ed.), “Basaltic volcanism associated with extensional tectonics in the Taiwan-Luzon island arc: Evidence for non-depleted sources and subduction zone enrichment,” Geol. Society of London, Special Publication, Vol.81, pp. 77-93, 1995.
-  E. L. Listanco, “Taal Volcano,” Field Guide Book for the Int. Conf. on Materials Recycling Near Convergent Plate Boundaries, Puerto Azul, Philippines, pp. 5-41, 1997.
-  E. G. Ramos, “Bathymetry Map of Taal Main Crater Lake,” PHIVOLCS internal map, 1986.
-  E. T. Del Mundo, “Taal Volcano Reference Notes,” PHIVOLCS Internal Document, Quezon City, pp. 1-22, 2008.
-  A. Alcaraz and R. Datuin, “Geothermal phenomena of the 1965 phreatomagmatic eruption of Taal Volcano,” J. of the Geological Society of the Philippines, Vol.28, pp. 31-40, 1974.
-  C. R. Collin, A. Salvi, D. Lemercier, P. Lemercier, and F. Robach, “Magnetometre differentiel a haute sensitibite,” Geophys. Prospecting, Vol.21, pp. 704-715, 1973.
-  Y. Yamaya, P. K. B. Alanis, A. Takeuchi, J. M. Cordon, T. Mogi, T. Hashimoto, Y. Sasai, and T. Nagao, “A large hydrothermal reservoir beneath Taal Volcano (Philippines) revealed by magnetotelluric resistivity survey: 2-D resistivity modeling,” Bull. of Volcanology, Vol.75, pp. 729, 2013.
-  Y. Ogawa and T. Uchida, “A two-dimensional magnetotelluric inversion assuming Gaussian static shift,” Geophys. Journal Int., Vol.126, pp. 69-76, 1996.
-  P. K. B. Alanis, Y. Yamaya, A. Takeuchi, Y. Sasai, Y. Okada, and T. Nagao, “A large hydrothermal reservoir beneath Taal Volcano (Philippines) revealed by magnetotelluric observations and its implications to the volcanic activity,” Proc. of the Japan Academy, Ser. B-Phys. 89, 2013.
-  E. Y. Fomenko and T. Mogi, “A new computation method for a staggered grid of 3D EM field conservative modeling,” Earth Planets Space, Vol.54, pp. 499-509, 2002.
-  P. Delmelle, M. Kusakabe, A. Bernard, T. Fischer, S. De Brouwer, and E. T. Del Mundo, “Geochemical and isotopic evidence for seawater contamination of the hydrothermal system of Taal Volcano, Luzon, the Philippines,” Bull. of Volcanology, Vol.59, pp. 562-576, 1998.
-  B. A. Bartel, M. W. Hamburger, C. M. Meertens, A. R. Lowry, and E. Corpuz, “Dynamics of magmatic and hydrothermal systems at Taal Volcano, Philippines, from continuous GPS measurements,” J. of Geophysical Research, Vol.108, No.B10, pp. 2475, 2003.
-  K. Nishigami, T. Shibutani, T. Ohkura, M. Hirata, H. Horikawa, K. Shimizu, S. Matsuo, S. Nakao, M. Ando, B. C. Bautista, L. P. Bautista, E. S. Barcelona, R. Valerio, A. G. Lanuza, A. V. Chu, J. J. Villegas, A. R. Rasdas, E. A. Mangao, E. Gabinete, B. J. Punongbayan, and R. S. Punongbayan, “Shallow crustal structure beneathTaal volcano, Philippines, revealed by the Seismic Explosion Survey,” Bull. of the Disaster Prevention Research Institute, Kyoto University, Vol.44, pp. 123-138, 1994.
-  Y. Maeda, H. Kumagai, R. Lacson, M. S. Figueroa, and T. Yamashina, “Source process of long-period seismic events at Taal Volcano, Philippines: Vapor transportation and condensation in a shallow hydrothermal fissure,” J. of Geophysical Research, Solid Earth, Vol.118, pp. 2832-2846, 2013.
-  I. Yokoyama, A. Alcaraz, and O. Peña, “Gravimetric studies of Taal Volcano, Philippines,” Bull, of Volcanology Vol.39, pp. 479-489, 1975.
-  S. Maso, “The eruption of Taal Volcano Jan. 30, 1911,” Weather Bureau Report Manila, pp. 1-45, 1911.
-  D. C. Worcester, “Taal Volcano and its recent destructive eruption,” Natl. Geographical Magazine, Vol.23, pp. 313-367, 1911.
-  P. R. L. Browne and J. V. Lawless, “Characteristics of hydrothermal eruptions, with examples from New Zealand and elsewhere,” Earth Science Review, Vol.52, pp. 299-331, 2001.
-  S. G. Catane, H. Taniguchi, A. Goto, A. P. Givero, and A. A. Mandanas, “Explosive volcanism in the Philippines,” CNEAS Monograph Series 18, Tohoku University Press, pp. 54-64, 2005.
-  F. A. Barberi, P. L. Bertagnini, and C. Principe, “A review on phreatic eruptions and their precursors,” J. of Volcanological Geothermal Research, Vol.54, pp. 231-246, 1992.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.