Near-Surface Geophysical Profiling Near Former Location of K-NET Tsukidate Strong Motion Station in Miyagi Prefecture, Japan
Mohamed Amrouche, Hiroaki Yamanaka, Kosuke Chimoto,
and Yadab P. Dhakal
Department of Environmental Science and Technology, Tokyo Institute of Technology, 4259 Nagatsuta Midori-ku, Yokohama, Kanagawa 226-8502, Japan
During the 2011 Earthquake off the Pacific Coast of Tohoku, high acceleration records with a PGA of 2.7 G were reported at the K-NET Tsukidate station (MYG004), where a maximum seismic intensity of 7 on the Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA) scale was observed. However, no major damage to the wooden houses in the area surrounding the station was reported. The objectives of this study are to obtain a 2D shallow soil profile of the area around the Tsukidate strong motion station (MYG004) located on the top of a 5 m cliff, and also to provide basic material for a detailed understanding of the high accelerations during the earthquake. We conducted a seismic refraction survey west of the station, and we used a fullwaveform inversion of the acquired seismic data to retrieve a 2D shallow soil profile. The inverted 2D soil model underlines a clear lateral S-wave velocity variation in the surface layer, and comparisons to results of the microtremor measurements using an array and horizontal-to-vertical ratio conducted along the seismic survey line show significant similarities to the lateral velocity variation revealed by our 2D inversion. We also examined the effect of this lack of velocity homogeneity on the soil response, and we found that it could play an important role in amplifying the content of the high frequencies.
and Yadab P. Dhakal, “Near-Surface Geophysical Profiling Near Former Location of K-NET Tsukidate Strong Motion Station in Miyagi Prefecture, Japan,” J. Disaster Res., Vol.9, No.sp, pp. 709-718, 2014.
-  M. Motosaka and T. Tsamba, “Investigation of high acceleration records at K-NET Tsukidate station during the 2011 off the Pacific coast Tohoku Earthquake,” Proc. of the 8th Annual Meeting of Japan Association for Earthquake Engineering, pp. 24-25, 2011 (in Japanese).
-  K. Irikura and S. Kurahashi, “Strong ground motions during the 2011 Pacific coast off Tohoku, Japan earthquake,” Proc. of the International Symposium on Engineering Lessons Learned from the 2011 Great East Japan Earthquake, pp. 9-20, 2011.
-  Y. Sakai, A. Aoi, K. Arai, and T. Suzuki, “Damage investigation of surroundings of the seismic stations in the 2008 wate-Miyagi Nairiku earthquake and correspondence of damage to buildings with strong ground motions,” J. of Japan Association for Earthquake Engineering, Vol.10, No.4, pp. 14-53, 2010.
-  T. Hayakawa, M. Oshima, T. Satoh, H. Kawase, S. Matsushima, Baoyintu, F. Nagashima, and K. Nakano, “Estimation of surface layer at K-NET Tsukidate using microtremor array observation and site effects,” Proc. of the 8th AnnualMeeting of Japan Association for Earthquake Engineering, pp. 444-445, 2011 (in Japanese).
-  S. Midorikawa and H. Miura, “K-NET Tsukidate Strong Motion Record and Nearby Damage during the 2011 off the Pacific Coast of Tohoku Earthquake,” Summary of Technical papers of Annual meeting of AIJ, B-2, pp. 37-38, 2011 (in Japanese).
-  S. Matsushima, F. Nagashima, H. Kawase, T. Hayakawa, M. Oshima, T. Satoh, Baoyintu, and K. Nakano, “Aftershock observation of the 2011 off the Pacific Coast of Tohoku earthquake near K-NET Tsukidate,” Proc. of the 8th Annual Meeting of Japan Association for Earthquake Engineering, pp. 446-447, 2011 (in Japanese).
-  T. Hayakawa, T. Satoh, M. Oshima, H. Kawase, S. Matsushima, Baoyintu, F. Nagashima, and K. Nakano, “Estimation of the nonlinearity of the structure of the surface soil at Tsukidate during the 2011 off the Pacific coast of Tohoku Earthquake,” Proc. of the 15th World Conference on Earth Engineering-Lisbon, Paper 3749, 2012.
-  F. Nagashima, H. Kawase, S. Matsushima, F. J. Sánchez-Sesma, T. Hayakawa, T. Satoh, and M. Oshima, “Application of the H/V spectral ratios for earthquake ground motions and microtremors at K-NET sites in Tohoku region, Japan to delineate soil nonlinearity,” Proc. of the 15th World Conference on Earth Engineering-Lisbon, Paper 2190, 2012.
-  H. Yamanaka, S. Tsuno, K. Chimoto, N. Yamada, S. Fukumoto, and K. Eto, “Estimation of site amplification from observation of aftershocks of the 2011 off the Pacific Coast of Tohoku earthquake and microtremor explorations in the vicinity of K-NET Tsukidate station, Miyagi prefecture, Japan,” Geophysical Exploration (Butsuri Tansa), Vol.64, pp. 389-399, 2011 (in Japanese).
-  H. Yamanaka, K. Chimoto, S. Tsuno, P.Y. Dhakal, M. Amrouche, N. Yamada, S. Fukumoto, and K. Eto, “Estimation of S-wave velocity profiles and site amplification around the K-NET Tsukidate station, Miyagi Prefecture, with reference to large PGA during the 2011 off Pacific coast of Tohoku earthquake, Japan,” J. of Disaster Research, Vol.7, No.6, pp. 682-692. 2012.
-  T. Satoh, “Interpretation of the cause of high acceleration ground motions during the 2011 Tohoku earthquake,” Proc. of the International Workshop of Japan Association for Earthquake Engineering on the Effects of Surface Geology on Strong Ground Motion, pp. 25-39, 2013.
-  S. Fukumoto, T. Unno, N. Sento, R. Uzuoka, and M. Kazama, “Estimation of strong ground motions at Tsukidate landslide site during the 2003 Sanriku-Minami earthquake – realization of ground motion waveforms using the data of strong motion seismometers and seismic intensity and its fluidization mechanism using laboratory testing –,” J. of Japan Association for Earthquake Engineering, Vol.7, No.2, pp. 160-179, 2007.
-  G. Rhommel and H. Yamanaka, “Shallow shear-wave velocity profiles and site response characteristics from microtremor array measurements in Metro Manila, the Philippines,” J. pf Exploration Geophysics, Vol.43, pp. 255-266, 2012.
-  M. Amrouche and H. Yamanaka, “Determination of 2D shallow S wave velocity profile using waveform inversion of P-SV refraction data,” Proc. of the 15th World Conference on Earth Engineering-Lisbon, Paper 0231, 2012.
-  S. Aoi, T. Iwata, and K. Irikura, “Waveform inversion for determining the boundary shape of the basin structure,” Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, Vol.5, pp. 1501-1506, 1995.
-  H. Yamanaka, “Inversion of surface-wave phase velocity using hybrid heuristic search method: Butsuri-Tansa,” J. of the Society of Exploration Geophysicists of Japan (Butsuri Tansa), Vol.60, No.3, pp. 265-275, 2007 (in Japanese).
-  M. Amrouche and H. Yamanaka, “Two dimensional soil profiling using seismic refraction wave inversion: An application to actual data,” Proc. of the 127th Conference of the Society of Exploration Geophysicist of Japan, pp. 9-12, 2012.
-  H. Fujiwara, S. Aoi, T. Kunugi, and S. Adachi, “Strong-motion observation networks of NIED: K-NET and KiK-net,” Proc. of COSMO workshop on archiving and web dissemination of geotechnical data, 2004.
-  National Research Institute for Earth Science and Disaster Prevention, Strong motion seismograph networks K-NET, KiK-net,
http://www.kyoshin.bosai.go.jp/kyoshin/ [accessed Feb. 25, 2014]