Educational Merits of Lecturing and Discussion Methods in Teaching Disaster Prevention: Toward Improvement of Students’ Knowledge, Attitude, and Behavior in Merapi Volcano Area Primary Schools
Tuswadi* and Takehiro Hayashi**
*Graduate School for International Development and Cooperation, Hiroshima University, 1-5-1 Kagamiyama, Higashi-Hiroshima City, Hiroshima 739-8529, Japan
**Graduate School of Education, Hiroshima University, 1-1-1, Kagamiyama, Higashi-Hiroshima City, Hiroshima 739-8524, Japan
-  C. Kuhlicke, A. Steinfuhrer, C. Begg, and C. Bianchizza, “Perspectives on social capacity building for natural hazard: Outlining an emerging field of research and practice in Europe,” Environmental Science & Policy, Vol.14, pp. 804-814, 2011.
-  M. Panic, K. M. Jelena, and M. Dragana, “Importance of natural disaster education-case study of the earthquake near the city of Kraljevo,” J. Geogr. Inst. Cvijic., Vol.63, No.1, pp. 75-88, 2013.
-  Ministry of Education and Culture, “National policy on Mainstreaming of Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) at Schools,” 2010.
-  A. Ratdomopurbo and G. Poupinet, “An overview of the seismicity of Merapi volcano (Java, Indonesia), 1983-1994,” Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, Vol.100, pp. 193-214, 2000.
-  B. Voight, E. K. Constantine, S. Siswowidjoyo, and R. Torley, “Historical eruption of Merapi volcano, Central Java, Indonesia, 1768-1998,” Journal of Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, Vol.100, pp. 69-138, 2000.
-  J. C. Thouret, F. Lavigne, K. Kelfoun, and S. Bronto, “Toward a revised hazard assessment atMerapi volcano, Central Java,” Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, Vol.100, pp. 479-502, 2000.
-  Tuswadi and T. Hayashi, “Preparedness assessment toward volcano eruption: Case of primary schools in Merapi area, Indonesia,” Journal of International Development and Cooperation, Vol.19, No.3, pp. 65-72, 2013.
-  D. Johnston, T. Tarrant, K. Tipler, M. Coomer, S. Pedersen, and R. Garside, “Preparing schools for future earthquakes in New Zealand: Lesson from an evaluation of a Wellington school exercise,” The Australian Journal of Emergency Management, Vol.26, No.1, pp. 24-30, 2011.
-  I. Dewi, “Urgensi Pendidikan Bencana Geologi,”
http://www.travel.kompas.com/read/2010/12/08/09220449 [accessed April 13, 2012]
-  K. R. Ronan, K. Crellin, and D. Johnston, “Correlates of hazards education for youth: a replication study,” Nat Hazards, Vol.53, pp. 503-526, 2010.
-  R. Shaw, K. Shiwaku, H. Kobayashi, and M. Kobayashi, “Linking experience, education, perception and earthquake preparedness,” Disaster Prevention and Management, Vol.13, Iss.1, pp. 39-49, 2004.
-  J. S. Becker, D. M. Johnston, D. Paton, and K. Ronan, “Community resilience to earthquakes: Understanding how individuals make meaning of hazard information, and how this relates to preparing for hazards,” NZSEE Conference 2009, Conference Paper No.4.
-  K. R. Ronan, D. Johnston, M. Daly, and R. Fairley, “School children’s risk perceptions and preparedness: A hazards education survey,” The Australasian Journal of Disaster and Trauma Studies (Electronic journal), No.1, 2001,
retrieved from http://www.massey.ac.nz/ trauma/issues/2001-1/ronan.htm [accessed April 13, 2012]
-  K. R. Ronan and D. Johnston, “Hazards education in schools: Current findings, future directions,” APECWorkshop on Dissemination of Disaster Mitigation Technologies for Humanistic Concerns Phase 1: Earthquake Disaster, Taipei, Taiwan, June 18-21, 2001.
-  F. Rahman, J. K. Khalil, N. B. Jumani, M. Ajmal, S. Malik, and M. Sharif, “Impact of discussion method on students’ performance,” International Journal of Business and Social Science, Vol.2 No.7, pp. 84-94, 2011.
-  G. H. Walker, “Lecturing with style,” The University of Tennessee. Chattanooga, 2003.
-  B. S. Bloom and D. R. Krathwohl, “Taxonomy of educational objectives: The classification of educational goals by a committee of college and university examiners,” Handbook I: Cognitive Domain. New York: Longman, Green, 1956.
-  R. T. Hyman, “Improving discussion leadership,” NY: Teacher College Columbia University, 1980.
-  E. G. Vedanayagam, “Teaching technology for college teachers,” New Delhi: Sterling publishers, 1994.
-  S. Moore, “Cases vs lectures: A comparison of learning, outcomes in undergraduate principles of finance,” Journal of Financial Education, 1999.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.