Collaboration with China
Aikichi Iwamoto, Zene Matsuda, Yoshihiro Kitamura,
Takaomi Ishida, Kiyoko Iwatsuki-Horimoto, and Yoshihiro Kawaoka
The Institute of Medical Science, the University of Tokyo, 4-6-1 Shirokanedai, Minato-ku, Tokyo 108-8639, Japan
In Japanese fiscal 2005, the Institute of Medical Science of the University of Tokyo (IMSUT) launched joint laboratory in each Institute of Biophysics (IBP) and Institute of Microbiology (IM) of Chinese Academy of Sciences in Beijing. Japanese investigators have resided in Beijing and been working together with young Chinese scientists. As the principal investigator of the joint laboratory in IBP, Dr. Zene Matsuda have focused on the membrane fusion process in HIV-1 infection and invented a remarkable assay systemto be used for the analysis of themembrane fusion. Dr. Yoshihiro Kitamura started the joint laboratory in IM and handed to Dr. Takaomi Ishida. The research in IM has focus on the epidemiology and molecular biology of HIV-1 and hepatitis viruses. The research in Beijing has been supervised by Dr. Tadashi Yamamoto and then by Dr. Junichiro Inoue. Highly productive collaboration between Dr. Yoshihiro Kawaoka and Dr. Hualan Chen has been producing cutting edge outcomes in the research on highly pathogenic avian viruses and their molecular epidemiology in China. The whole schema of the collaboration between Japan and China has been led by Dr. Aikichi Iwamoto.
-  J. Liu, H. Xiao, F. Lei, Q. Zhu, K. Qin, X. W. Zhang et al., “Highly pathogenic H5N1 influenza virus infection in migratory birds,” Science, Vol.309, No.5738, p. 1206, 2005.
-  H. Yang, M. Yang, Y. Ding, Y. Liu, Z. Lou, Z. Zhou et al. “The crystal structures of severe acute respiratory syndrome virus main protease and its complex with an inhibitor,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, Vol.100, No.23, pp. 13190-5, 2003.
-  Y. Zhai, F. Sun, X. Li, H. Pang, X. Xu, M. Bartlam et al., “Insights into SARS-CoV transcription and replication from the structure of the nsp7-nsp8 hexadecamer,” Nature Structural and Molecular biology, Vol.12, No.11, pp. 980-6, 2005.
-  N. Kondo, A. Ebihara, H. Ru, S. Kuramitsu, A. Iwamoto, Z. Rao et al. “Thermus thermophilus-derived protein tags that aid in preparation of insoluble viral proteins,” Analytical Biochemistry, Vol.385, No.2, pp. 278-85, 2009.
-  J. Wang, N. Kondo, Y. Long, A. Iwamoto, and Z. Matsuda, “Monitoring of HIV-1 envelope-mediated membrane fusion using modified split green fluorescent proteins,” J. Virol. Methods, Vol.161, No.2, pp. 216-22, 2009.
-  N. Kondo, K. Miyauchi, F. Meng, A. Iwamoto, and Z. Matsuda, “Conformational changes of the HIV-1 envelope protein during membrane fusion are inhibited by the replacement of its membranespanning domain,” J. Biol. Chem., Vol.285, No.19, pp. 14681-8, 2010.
-  P. Teeranaipong, N. Hosoya, A. Kawana-Tachikawa, T. Fujii, T. Koibuchi, H. Nakamura et al., “Development of a rapid cell-fusionbased phenotypic HIV-1 tropism assay,” Journal of the International AIDS Society, Vol.16, No.1, p. 18723, 2013.
-  P. R. Harrigan and A. M. Geretti, “Genotypic tropism testing: evidence-based or leap of faith?” AIDS, Vol.25, No.2, pp. 257-64, 2011.
-  L. P. Vandekerckhove, A. M. Wensing, R. Kaiser, F. Brun-Vezinet, B. Clotet, A. De Luca et al., “European guidelines on the clinical management of HIV-1 tropism testing,” The Lancet Infectious Diseases, Vol.11, No.5, pp. 394-407, 2011.
-  W. Hou, C. Aoki, L. Yu, X. Wen, Y. Xue, B. Gao et al., “A recombinant replication-competent hepatitis C virus expressing Azami-Green, a bright green-emitting fluorescent protein, suitable for visualization of infected cells,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, Vol.377, No.1, pp. 7-11, 2008.
-  Y. Li, L. Gu, J. Han, H. Wang, W. Lv, X. Song et al., “CRF01 AE subtype is associated with X4 tropism and fast HIV progression in Chinese patients infected through sexual transmission,” AIDS, Vol.28, No.4, pp. 521-30, 2014.
-  L. Ming, “A successful international cooperation with a bumpy start,” Protein and Cell, Vol.2, No.9, pp. 696-8, 2011.
-  G. Deng, D. Tan, J. Shi, P. Cui, Y. Jiang, L. Liu, G. Tian, Y. Kawaoka, C. Li, and H. Chen, “Complex reassortment of multiple subtypes of avian influenza viruses in domestic ducks at the Dongting Lake region of China,” J. Virol., Vol.87, pp. 9452-9462, 2013.
-  T. Watanabe, M. Kiso, S. Fukuyama, N. Nakajima, M. Imai, S. Yamada, S. Murakami, S. Yamayoshi, K. Iwatsuki-Horimoto, Y. Sakoda, E. Takashita, R. McBride, T. Noda, M. Hatta, H. Imai, D. Zhao, N. Kishida, M. Shirakura, R. P. de Vries, S. Shichinohe, M. Okamatsu, T. Tamura, Y. Tomita, N. Fujimoto, K. Goto, H. Katsura, E. Kawakami, I. Ishikawa, S. Watanabe, M. Ito, Y. Sakai-Tagawa, Y. Sugita, R. Uraki, R. Yamaji, A. J. Eisfeld, G. Zhong, S. Fan, J. Ping, E. A. Maher, A. Hanson, Y. Uchida, T. Saito, M. Ozawa, G. Neumann, H. Kida, T. Odagiri, J. C. Paulson, H. Hasegawa, M. Tashiro, and Y. Kawaoka, “Characterization of H7N9 influenza A viruses isolated from humans,” Nature, Vol.501, pp. 551-555, 2013.
-  K. Shinya, Y. Gao, C. Cilloniz, Y. Suzuki, M. Fujie, G. Deng, Q. Zhu, S. Fan, A. Makino, Y. Muramoto, S. Fukuyama, D. Tamura, T. Noda, A. J. Eisfeld, M. G. Katze, H. Chen, and Y. Kawaoka, “Integrated clinical, pathologic, virologic, and transcriptomic analysis of H5N1 influenza virus-induced viral pneumonia in the rhesus macaque,” J. Virol., Vol.86, pp. 6055-6066, 2012.
-  Y. Zhang, Q. Zhang, Y. Gao, X. He, H. Kong, Y. Jiang, Y. Guan, X. Xia, Y. Shu, Y. Kawaoka, Z. Bu, and H. Chen, “Key molecular factors in HA and PB2 contribute to the efficient transmission of the 2009 H1N1 pandemic influenza virus,” J. Virol. Vol.86, pp. 9666-9674, 2012.
-  J. Shi, Z. Wen, J. Guo, Y. Zhang, G. Deng, Y. Shu, D. Wang, Y. Jiang, Y. Kawaoka, Z. Bu, and H. Chen, “Protective efficacy of an H1N1 cold-adapted live vaccine against the 2009 pandemic H1N1, seasonal H1N1, and H5N1 influenza viruses in mice,” Antiviral Res., Vol.93, pp. 346-353, 2012.
-  J. Liu, P. Chen, Y. Jiang, L. Wu, X. Zeng, G. Tian, J. Ge, Y. Kawaoka, Z. Bu, and H. Chen, “A duck enteritis virus-vectored bivalent live vaccine provides fast and complete protection against H5N1 avian influenza virus infection in ducks,” J. Virol., Vol.85, pp. 10989-10998, 2011.
-  K. Shimizu, C. Li, Y. Muramoto, S. Yamada, J. Arikawa, H. Chen, and Y. Kawaoka, “The NP and M segments of H5N1 influenza viruses are responsible for dominance in embryonated eggs,” J. Gen. Virol., Vol.92, pp. 1645-1649, 2011.
-  K. Shinya, A. Makino, M. Hatta, S. Watanabe, J. H. Kim, Y. Hatta, P. Gao, M. Ozawa, Q. M. Le, and Y. Kawaoka, “Subclinical brain injury caused by H5N1 influenza virus infection,” J. Virol., Vol.85, pp. 5202-5207, 2011.
-  J. Song, H. Feng, J. Xu, D. Zhao, J. Shi, Y. Li, G. Deng, Y. Jiang, X. Li, P. Zhu, Y. Guan, Z. Bu, Y. Kawaoka, and H. Chen, “The PA protein directly contributes to the virulence of H5N1 avian influenza viruses in domestic ducks,” J. Virol., Vol.85, pp. 2180-2188, 2011.
-  Y. Chen, G. Zhong, G. Wang, G. Deng, Y. Li, J. Shi, Z. Zhang, Y. Guan, Y. Jiang, Z. Bu, Y. Kawaoka, and H. Chen, “Dogs are highly susceptible to H5N1 avian influenza virus,” Virology, Vol.405, pp. 15-19, 2010.
-  S. Fan, Y. Gao, K. Shinya, C. K. Li, Y. Li, J. Shi, Y. Jiang, Y. Suo, T. Taong, G. Zhong, J. Song, Y. Zhang, G. Tian, Y. Guan, X.-N. Xu, Z. Bu, Y. Kawaoka, and H. Chen, “Immunogenicity and protective efficacy of a live attenuated H5N1 vaccine in nonhuman primates,” Plos Patho, Vol.5, p. e1000409, 2009.
-  Y. Gao, Y. Zhang, K. Shinya, G. Deng, Y. Jiang, Z. Li, Y. Guan, G. Tian, Y. Li, J. Shi, L. Liu, X. Zeng, Z. Bu, X. Xia, Y. Kawaoka, and H. Chen, “Identification of amino acids in HA and PB2 critical for the transmission of H5N1 avian influenza viruses in a mammalian host, Plos Patho, Vol.5, p. e1000709, 2009.
-  S. Fan, G. Deng, J. Song, G. Tian, Y. Suo, Y. Jiang, Y. Guan, Z. Bu, Y. Kawaoka, and H. Chen, “Two amino acid residues in the matrix protein M1 contribute to the virulence difference of H5N1 avian influenza viruses in mice,” Virology, Vol.384, pp. 28-32, 2009.
-  B. Jia, J. Shi, Y. Li, K. Shinya, Y. Muramoto, X. Zeng, G. Tian, Y. Kawaoka, and H. Chen, “Pathogenicity of Chinese H5N1 highly pathogenic avian influenza viruses in pigeons,” Arch. Virol., Vol.153, pp. 1821-1826, 2008.
-  S. Murakami, T. Horimoto, L. Q. Mai, C. A. Nidom, H. Chen, Y. Muramoto, and S. Yamada, A. Iwasa, K. Iwatsuki-Horimoto, M. Shimojima, A. Iwata, and Y. Kawaoka, “Growth determinants for H5N1 influenza vaccine seed viruses in MDCK cells,” Journal of Virology, Vol.82, pp. 10502-10509, 2008.
-  P. Jiao, G. Tian, Y. Li, C. Liu, W. Liu, G. Deng, Y. Guan, Z. Bu, Y. Kawaoka, and H. Chen, “A single amino acid substitution in the NS1 protein changes the pathogenicity of H5N1 avian influenza viruses in mice,” Journal of Virology, Vol.82, pp. 1146-1154, 2008.
-  Q. Zhu, H. Yang, G. Deng, K. Yu, Z. Bu, Y. Kawaoka, and H. Chen, “A naturally occurring deletion in its NS gene contributes to attenuation of an H5N1 swine influenza virus in chickens,” Journal of Virology, Vol.82, pp. 220-228, 2008.
-  H. Chen, Y. Li, Z. Li, J. Shi, K. Shinya, G. Deng, Q. Qi, G. Tian, S. Fan, H. Zhao, Y. Sun, and Y. Kawaoka, “Properties and dissemination of H5N1 viruses isolated during an influenza outbreak in migratory waterfowl in western China,” Journal of Virology, Vol.80, pp. 5976-5983, 2006.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.