Characteristics of Damages of Severe Local Storms Based on Field Surveys in Bangladesh
Yusuke Yamane*1, Masashi Kiguchi*2, Taiichi Hayashi*3,
Ashraf M. Dewan*4,5, and Toru Terao*6
*1Faculty of Education, Tokoha University, 1-22-1 Sena, Aoi-ku, Shizuoka 412-0911, Japan
*2Institute of Industrial Science, The University of Tokyo, 4-6-1 Komaba, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 153-8505, Japan
*3Disaster Prevention Research Institute, Kyoto University, Gokasho, Uji, Kyoto 611-0011, Japan
*4Department of Spatial Science, Curtin University, Australia
*5Department of Geography and Environment, University of Dhaka, Bangladesh
*6Faculty of Education, Kagawa University, Japan
This paper presents field survey results on damage from severe local storms, such as tornadoes. Surveys were conducted in Bangladesh in August 2009 and August 2010 to clarify damage details, meteorological features, factors related to damage generation and spread, recovery problems experienced by local residents due to storm damage and storms prediction in local areas.
-  T. Fujita, “Tatsumaki,” Kyouritsu shuppan, 1973 (in Japanese).
-  T. Hayashi, J. Katsura, M. Salehin, and M. F. Qayyum, “The tornado in the Tangail district of Bangladesh on May 13 of 1997,” Preprint of international symposium on Natural Disaster Prediction and Mitigation, Kyoto, Japan, 1997.
-  H. Ono, “Raiu to meso kisyou,” Tokyodou shuppan, 2001 (in Japanese).
-  E. R. Peterson and K. C. Mehta, “Tornadoes of the Indian subcontinent,” Proceedings of 9th International Conference on Wind Engineering, New Delhi, India, January 9-13, International Association of Wind Engineering, Vol.4, pp. 2077-2081, 1995.
-  A. M. Salehin, M. A. Haque, and J. U. Chowdhury, “Investigation of issues related to ties and tsunami during 1998 flood,” Perfomance evaluation of FCD/FCDI projects during 1998 flood, IFCDR, Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology, 1998.
-  Y. Yamane and T. Hayashi, “Evaluation of environmental conditions for the formation of severe local storms across Indian subcontinent,” Geophys. Res. Lett., Vol.33, L17806, 2006, doi:10.1029/2006GL026823.
-  Y. Yamane, T. Hayashi, A. M. Dewan, and F. Akter, “Severe local convective storms in Bangladesh: Part 2. Environmental conditions,” Atmos. Res., Vol.95, pp. 407-418, 2010.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.