Residential Damage Patterns Following the 2011 Tuscaloosa, AL and Joplin, MO Tornadoes
David B. Roueche and David O. Prevatt
Engineering School of Sustainable Infrastructure and Environment, University of Florida, 365 Weil Hall, Gainesville, FL 32611, USA
-  SPC, Climatological or Past Storm Information
-  [Online], Available: http://www.spc.noaa.gov/climo/historical.html [accessed September 8, 2013]
-  K. M. Simmons, D. Sutter, and R. Pielke, “Normalized tornado damage in the United States: 1950-2011,” Environmental Hazards, pp. 1-16, 2012.
-  Munich RE, “2011 Natural Catastrophe: Year in Review,” 2012.
-  D. O. Prevatt, J.W. van de Lindt, E. Back, A. J. Graettinger, S. Pei, W. Coulbourne, et al., “Making the Case for Improved Structural Design: The Tornado Outbreaks of 2011,” Leadership and Management in Engineering, 2012.
-  D. O. Prevatt, J. W. van de Lindt, A. Graettinger, W. Coulbourne, R. Gupta, S. Pei, et al., “Damage study and future direction for structural design following the Tuscaloosa tornado of 2011,” Univ. of Florida, Gainesville, FL,
http://www.davidoprevatt.com/wpcontent/uploads/2011/08/tuscaloosa-tornado-report-final.pdf [accessed April 5, 2012]
-  D. Prevatt, J. W. Van de Lindt, B. Coulbourne, S. Pei, A. Graettinger, R. Gupta, et al., “The Joplin Tornado of 2011 – Damage Survey and Case for Tornado-Resilient Codes,” American Society of Civil Engineers, ed., 2011.
-  D. O. Prevatt, J. v. d. Lindt, R. Gupta, and B. Coulbourne, “Tuscaloosa Tornado: Preliminary Observations on Wood-Frame Buildings Damage Assessment,” Structure Magazine, 2011.
-  J. McDonald and K. C. Mehta, “A Recommendation for an Enhanced Fujita Scale,” 2006.
-  BAPT, “Midwest Tornadoes of May 3, 1999: Observations, Recommendations and Technical Guidance,” Federal Emergency Management Agency, October 1999.
-  R. S. Metzger and C. C.Weiss, “An Examination of the Structure of Two Tornadoes Using Mobile Ka-band Doppler Radar,” presented at the 25th Conference on Severe Local Storms, Denver, CO, 2010.
-  L. Kuai, F. Haan, W. Gallus, and P. Sarkar, “CFD simulations of the flow field of a laboratory-simulated tornado for parameter sensitivity studies and comparison with field measurements,” Vol.11, ed., Wind and Structures, pp. 75-96, 2008.
-  J.Wurman and C. R. Alexander, “The 30 May 1998 Spencer, South Dakota, storm. Part II: Comparison of observed damage and radarderived winds in the tornadoes,” Monthly weather review, Vol.133, No.1, pp. 97-119, 2005.
-  URS, “Tornado Damage Investigation Greensburg, Kansas,” Washington, DC 1699 DR-KS, 2007.
-  J. E. Minor, J. R. McDonald, and K. C. Mehta, “The tornado, an engineering-oriented perspective,” National Severe Storms Laboratory, and Texas Tech University, Institute for Disaster Research, 1978.
-  K. C. Mehta, J. R. McDonald, J. E. Minor, and A. J. Sanger, “Response of structural systems to the Lubbock storm,” Texas Tech. University, Department of Civil Engineering, 1971.
-  A. F. Mensah, P. L. Datin, D. O. Prevatt, R. Gupta, and J. W. van de Lindt, “Database-assisted design methodology to predict windinduced structural behavior of a light-framed wood building,” Engineering Structures, Vol.33, pp. 674-684, Feb. 2011.
-  H. Kikitsu, P. P. Sarkar, and F. L. Haan, “Experimental study on tornado-induced loads of low-rise buildings using a large tornado simulator,” presented at the 13th International Conference on Wind Engineering Amsterdam, Netherlands, 2011.
-  J. W. van de Lindt, S. Pei, T. Dao, and A. Graettinger, “A Dual-Objective-Based Tornado Design Philosophy,” Journal of Structural Engineering, New York, Jan. 1, 2012.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.