Effectiveness of Disaster-Based School Program on Students’ Earthquake-Preparedness
Wignyo Adiyoso*,** and Hidehiko Kanegae*,***
*Graduate School of Policy Science, Ritsumeikan University, 56-1 Toji-in Kitamachi, Kita-ku, Kyoto 603-8577, Japan
**National Development Planning Agency (BAPPENAS), Jl. Taman Suropati No.2, Jakarta Pusat, Indonesia
***Institute of Disaster Mitigation of Urban Cultural Heritage (DMUCH), Ritsumeikan University, 58 Komatsubara Kitamachi, Kita-ku, Kyoto 603-8341, Japan
-  UN-ISDR, “Global assessment report on disaster risk reduction (GAR) Indonesia – risk profile,” 2009,
http://www.preventionweb.net/english/countries/statistics/risk.php?iso=idn [accessed December 10, 2012]
-  UNDP-Indonesia, “Project facts: early recovery assistance for Yogyakarta and Central Java (ERA),” UNDP-Indonesia, Jakarta, 2008,
http://www.undp.or.id/factsheets/2008/CPR%20Early%20Recovery%20Assistance%20for%20Yogyakarta%20and%20Central%20Java.pdf [accessed March 10, 2013]
-  German-Indonesian Cooperation for Tsunami Early Warning System/GITEW, “Disaster awareness in primary school: modul tsunami,” Working Document, No.21, September, 2008.
-  LIPI & UNESCO, “Story from Aceh: building capacity and school disaster preparedness/Cerita dari Aceh: membangun kapasitas dan sekolah siaga bencana,” LIPI & UNESCO, Jakarta, 2010.
-  K. Shiwaku, R. Shaw, R. C. Kandel, S. N. Shrestha, and A. M. Dixit, “Future perspective of school disaster education in Nepal,” Disaster Prevention and Management, Vol.16, Iss.4, pp. 576-587, 2007.
-  M. Hosseini and Y. O. Izadkhah, “Earthquake disaster risk management planning in schools. Disaster Prevention and Management,” Vol.15, pp. 649-661, 2006.
-  R. Shaw and K. Shiwaku, “Proactive co-learning: a new paradigm in disaster education,” Disaster Prevention and Management, Vol.17, Iss. 2, pp. 183-198, 2008.
-  K. Shiwaku, “Essentials of school disaster education: example from Kobe, Japan,” Disaster management: global challenges and local solutions, ed. Rajib Shaw and R. R. Krishnamurty, Universities Press, Hyderabad, India, 2009.
-  D. M. Simpson, “Earthquake drills and simulations in communitybased training and preparedness programmes,” Disasters, Vol.26, Iss.1, pp. 55-69, 2002.
-  ASEAN Secretariat, “Disaster resilience starts with the young: mainstreaming disaster risk reduction in the school curriculum,” ASEAN Secretariat, Jakarta, 2011,
http://www.preventionweb.net/files/submissions/18743_disasterresilienceyounglowresfinal.pdf [accessed December 4, 2012]
-  H. Schutz and P. M. Wiedemann, “Hazardous incident information for the public: is it useful?,” The Australian Journal of Disaster and Trauma Studies, Vol.2, 2000,
http://www.massey.ac.nz/‘trauma/issues/2000-2/schuets.htm [accessed February 3, 2013]
-  J. C. Gaillard, E. Clave, O. Vibert, Azhari, Dedi, J. C. Denain, Y. Efendi, D. Grancher, C. C. Liamzon, D. R. Sari, and R. Setiawan, “Ethnic groups’ response to the 26 December 2004 earthquake and tsunami in Aceh, Indonesia,” Natural Hazards, Vol.47, pp. 17-38, 2008.
-  K. R. Ronan, K. Crellin, and D. Johnston, “Correlates of hazards education for youth: a replication study,” Nat Hazards, Vol.53, pp. 503-526, 2010.
-  S. Murata, F Imamura, K. Katoh, Y. Kawata, S. Takahashi, and Takayama, “Tsunami: to survive from tsunami,” World Scientific, Singapore, 2010.
-  UNCRD, “Reducing schoolchildren’ vulnerability toward earthquake/Mengurangi kerentanan anak-anak sekolah terhadap bahaya gempa bumi,” Proyek Inisiatif Keselamatan Sekolah Terhadap Gempa Bumi (SESI), Jakarta, 2009,
http://www.hyogo.uncrd.or.jp/publication/pdf/Report/SESI%20Outcome/SESI%20Outcome% 20Bahasa%20Indonesia%20final.pdf [accessed March 10, 2013]
-  Ozmen, Fatma, “The level of preparedness of the schools for disasters from the aspect of the school principals,” Disaster Prevention and Management, Vol.15, Iss.3, pp. 383-395, 2006.
-  UNICEF, “Disaster risk reduction: integrating into school curriculum in Lesotho,” UNICEF, Lesotho, 2011,
http://www.preventionweb.net/english/professional/publications/v.php?id=23844 [accessed February 20, 2013]
-  R. Shaw, K. Shiwaku, H. Kobayashi, and M. Kobayashi, “Linking experience, education, perception and earthquake prepredness,” Disaster Prevention and Management, Vol.13, Iss.1, pp. 39-49, 2004.
-  K. R. Ronan, D. M. Johnston, M. Daly, and R. Fairley, “School children’s risk perceptions and preparedness: a hazards education survey,” The Australasian Journal of Disaster and Trauma Studies,” 2001,
-  K. R. Ronan and D. M. Johnston, “ Hazards education program for youth,” Risk Analysis, Vol.21, Iss. 6, pp. 1055-63, 2001.
-  D. Paton, “Disaster preparedness: a social-cognitive perspective,” Disaster Prevention and Management, Vol.12, Iss.3, pp. 210-216, 2003.
-  D. M. Johnston, M. S. Bebington, C. D. Lain, B. F. Houghton, and D. Paton, “Volcanic Hazard Perception: Comparative Shift in Knowledge and Risk,” Disaster Prevention & Management, Vol.8, Iss. 2, pp. 118-126, 1999.
-  S. Bushnell and A. Cottrell, “Increasing community resilience to bushfire – implication from a North Quesnland community case study,” The Australian Journal of Emergency Management, Vol.22, Iss. 2, pp. 3-9, 2007.
-  D. Paton, “Preparing for natural hazards: the role of community trust,” Disaster Prevention and Management, Vol.16, Iss.3, pp. 370-379, 2007.
-  K. J. Tierney, “Disaster preparedness and response: research findings and guidance from the social science literature,” 1993,
http://dspace.udel.edu:8080/dspace/bitstream/handle/19716/579/PP193.pdf?sequence=3, [accessed March 1, 2013]
-  D. Paton, D. Johston, L. Smith, and M. Millar, “Responding to hazard effects: promoting resilience and adjusment adoption,” Australian Journal of Emergency Management, Autumn, pp. 47-52, 2001.
-  K. Tanaka, “The impact of disaster education on public preparation and mitigation for earthquakes: a cross-country comparison between Fukui, Japan and the San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA,” Aplied Geography, Vol.25, pp. 201-225, 2005.
-  J. P. Mulilis, T. S. Duval, and K. Bovalino, “Tornado preparedness of students, nonstudents renters, and nonstudent owners: issue of PrE theory,” Journal of Applied Social Psychology, Vol.30, No.6, pp. 1310-1329, 2000.
-  U.S. Indian Ocean Tsunami Warning System Program, “How resilient is your coastal community? a guide for evaluating coastal community resilinece to tsunamis and other coastal hazards,” 2007.
-  F. Lavigne, B. D. Coster, N. Juvin, F Flohic, J. C. Gailard, P. Texier, J. Morin, and J. Sartohadi, “People’s behaviour in the face of volcanic hazards: perspective from Javanese communities, Indonesia,” Journal of Vulcanology and Geothermal Research, Vol.172, pp. 273-287, 2008.
-  T. Kurita, M. Arakida, and S. R. N. Colombage, “Regional characteristics of tsunami risk perception among the tsunami affected countries in the Indian ocean,” Journal of Natural Disaster Science, Vol.29, Iss.1, pp. 29-38, 2007.
-  J. N. Morin, F. Flohic, and Lavigne, “Tsunami-resilient communities’ development in Indoensia through educative actions,” Disaster Prevention and Management, Vol.13, Iss.1, pp. 39-49, 2008.
-  D. McIvor and D. Paton, “Preparing for natural hazards: normative and attitudinal influences,” Disaster Prevention and Management, Vol.16, Iss.1, pp. 79-88, 2007.
-  I. Ajzen and M. Fishbein, “Predicting and changing behavior: the reasoned action approach,” Psychology Press, New York, 2010.
-  Curriculum Development Centre-Ministry of Education/CDCMoE, “Module for teaching of integration risk reduction for earthquake: references for teacher in the Elementary, Secondary and Junior High School,” CDC-MoE, Jakarta, 2009.
-  SCDRR UNDP-BAPPENAS, “Supporting the Mainstreaming of DRR in the Education System in Indonesia & Pilot Projects for Safer Schools (SSB),” Safer Communities through Disaster Risk Reduction (SCDRR) in Development, UNDP-Bappenas, Jakarta, 2011,
http://www_htdocs_hanacarakav2_files_sc-drr.org_LL_03 SSB 2011.
-  UNDP-Government of Indonesia, “Evaluation report: safer communities through disaster risk reduction (SC-DRR) in development,” 2012, UNDP- Government of Indonesia, Jakarta,
http://www.undp.org/content/undp/en/home/librarypage/crisisprevention-and-recovery/safer-communities-through-disaster-riskreduction-sc-drr-in-de/ [accessed February 3, 2013]
-  D. Paton and D. Johnston, “Disaster and communities: vulnerability, resilience and preparedness,” Disaster Prevention and Management, Vol.10, Iss.4, pp. 270-277, 2001.
-  J-P. Mulilis, T. S. Duval, and R. Lippa, “The effect of a large destructive local earthquake on earthquake preparedness as assessed by an earthquake preparedness scale,” Natural Hazards, Vol.3, Iss. 3, pp. 357-371, 1990.
-  N. Brace, R. Kemp, and R. Snelgar, SPSS for psychologist: a guide to data analysis using SPSS for Windows (version 9, 10 and 11, second edition), Plagrave Macmillan, New York, 2003.
-  A. Adiyoso and H. Kanegae, “The preliminary study of the role of Islamic teaching in the disaster risk reduction (a qualitative case study of Banda Aceh, Indonesia),” Procedia Environmental Sciences, 17, pp. 918 - 927, doi:10.1016/j.proenv.2013.02.110, 2013.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.