Indirect Economic Loss Estimation due to Seismic Highway Transportation System Disruption in “5.12” Wenchuan Earthquake
Yan Shi and Shaoyu Wang
School of Management, Harbin Institute of Technology, Harbin, Heilongjiang Province, China
-  H. Cochrane, “Economic Impacts of a Midwestern Earthquake,” The Quarterly Publication of NCEER (National Center for Earthquake Engineering Research), Vol.11, No.1, pp. 1-5, 1997.
-  D. S. Brookshire, S. E. Chang, H. Cochrane, R. A. Olson, A. Rose, and J. Steenson, “Direct and Indirect Economic Losses from Earthquake Damage,” Earthquake Spectra, Vol.13, No.4, pp. 683-701, 1997.
-  Commission on Geosciences, Environment and Resources (CGER), “The Impacts of Natural Disasters: A Framework for Loss Estimation,” National Academy Press, Washington, D.C., 1999.
-  H. Cochrane, “Economic loss: myth and measurement,” Disaster Prevention and Management, Vol.13, Iss.4, pp. 290-296, 2004.
-  Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), “HAZUS 99 Estimated Annualized Losses for the United States,” Publication No.366, Federal Emergency Management Agency, Washington, D.C., 2001.
-  A. Rose, “Economic Principles, Issues, and Research Priorities in Hazard Loss Estimation,” Modeling the Spatial Economic Impacts of Natural Hazards, Y. Okuyama, S. Chang, Eds. Springer, Heidelberg, pp. 13-36, 2004.
-  S. E. Chang, W. D. Svekla, and M. Shinozuka, “Linking infrastructure and urban economy: simulation of water-disruption impacts in earthquakes,” Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design, Vol.29, No.2, pp. 281-301, 2002.
-  A. Rose and S. Y. Liao, “Modeling regional economic resilience to disasters: A computable general equilibrium analysis of water service disruptions,” Journal of Regional Science, Vol.45, No.1, pp. 75-112, 2005.
-  A. Rose and G. Guha, “ Computable General Equilibrium Modeling of Electric Utility Lifeline Losses from Earthquakes,” Modeling the Spatial Economic Impacts of Natural Hazards, Y. Okuyama, S. Chang (Eds.), Springer, Heidelberg, pp. 119-142, 2004.
-  G. Chen, N. Anderson, R. Luna, R. Stephenson, M. El-Engebawy, P. Silva, and R. Zoughi, “Earthquake Hazards Assessment and Mitigation: A Pilot Study in the New Madrid Seismic Zone,” FHWA Report, 2005.
-  D. Enke, C. Tirasirichai, and R. Luna, “Estimation of Earthquake Loss due to Bridge Damage in the St. Louis Metropolitan Area. II: Indirect Losses,” Natural Hazards Review, Vol.9, No.1, pp. 12-19, 2008.
-  S. M. Jin and S. Y.Wang, “Indirect Business Losses Caused by Water Supply Seismic Interruption,” Advances in information Sciences and Service Sciences, Vol.4, No.22, pp. 755-764, 2012.
-  A. Rose, S. Y. Liao, and A. Bonneau, “Regional Economic Impacts of a Verdugo Scenario Earthquake Disruption of Los Angeles Water supplies: A Computable General Equilibrium Analysis,” Earthquake Spectra, Vol.27, No.3, pp. 881-906, 2011.
-  S. E. Chang, A. Rose, M. Shinozuka, W. D. Svekla, and K. J. Tierney, “Modeling Earthquake Impact on Urban Lifeline Systems: Advances and Integration,” Research Progress and Accomplishments 1999-2000, Buffalo, NY: Multidisciplinary Center for Earthquake Engineering Research (MCEER), pp. 1-14, 2000.
-  J.D.Wu, N. Li, S.Hallegatte, P. J. Shi, A. J.Hu, andX. Q. Liu, “Regional indirect economic impact evaluation of the 2008 Wenchuan Earthquake,” Environmental Earth Sciences, Vol.65, pp. 161-172, 2012.
-  S. E. Chang and N. Nojima, “Measuring Post-Disaster Transportation System Performance: The 1995 Kobe Earthquake in Comparative Perspective,” Transportation Research part A, Vol.35, pp. 475-494, 2001.
-  S. Buyck, “Economic loss estimation along transportation corridors,” Concep Tueel, Vol.17, No.2, pp. 26-29, 2008.
-  H. Cochrane, J. E. Hass, M. J. Bowden et al., “Social Science Perspectives on the Coming San Franccisco Earthquake,” University of Colorado Natural Hazards Research Paper No.25. Boulder, CO: University of Colorado, pp. 1-44, 1974.
-  R. Boisvert, “Indirect losses from a catastrophic earthquake and local, regional, and national interest,” Indirect Economic Consequences of a Catastrophic Earthquake, National Earthquake Hazards Reduction Program, Federal Emergency Management Agency, Washington, DC, pp. 207-265, 1992.
-  Chinese National Standard, “The Chinese Seismic Intensity Scale,” Beijing: Standards Press of China, 1999 (in Chinese).
-  X. Li, Z. Zhou, H. Yu, R. Wen, D. Lu, M. Huang, et al., “Strong motion observations and recordings from the great Wenchuan Earthquake,” Earthquake Engineering and Engineering Vibration, Vol.7, No.3, pp. 235-246, 2008.
-  Shifang Government, “Disaster Investigation on Shifang’s infrastructure in “5.12”Wenchuan Earthquake,” 2008 (in Chinese),
http://www.sfcj.gov.cn/Article/zqdc/200805/16.html [accessed May 28, 2013]
-  J. Li, Y. Zeng, and Y. F. Li, “Study on the Assessment of Postearthquake Traffic Damage Based onWenchuan Earthquake,” Management Review, Vol.20, No.18, pp. 35-40, 2008 (in Chinese).
-  D. Willenbockel, “Structural Effects of a Real Exchange Rate Revaluation in China: A CGE Assessment,” October 2006, Available at SSRN:
http://ssrn.com/abstract=945562 [accessed September 19, 2013]
-  F. Zhai and T. Hertel, “Impacts of the Doha Development Agenda on China: The Role of Labor Markets and Complementary Education Reforms,” World Bank Policy Research Working Paper, No.3702, August 2005, Available at SSRN:
http://ssrn.com/abstract=803626 [accessed September 19, 2013]
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.