Application of Electrical Resistivity Imaging for MeasuringWater Content Distribution on Hillslopes
Yosuke Yamakawa*, Naoya Masaoka**, Ken’ichirou Kosugi**,
Yasuyuki Tada***, and Takahisa Mizuyama**
*Educational Unit for Adaptation to Extreme Weather Conditions (GCOE-ARS Unit), Center for the Promotion of Interdisciplinary Education and Research (C-PIER), Kyoto University, Gokasho, Uji, Kyoto 611-0011, Japan
**Laboratory of Erosion Control, Department of Forest Science, Graduate School of Agriculture, Kyoto University, Oiwake-Cho, Kitashiraka, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto 606-8502, Japan
***Laboratory of Hillslope Conservation, Department of Soil and Water Conservation, Forestry and Forest Products Research Institute, 1 Matsunosato, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-8687, Japan
-  D. R. Montgomery, W. E. Dietrich, R. Torres, S. P. Anderson, J. T. Heffner, and K. Loague, “Hydrologic response of a steep, unchanneled valley to natural and applied rainfall,” Water Resources Research, Vol.33, No.1, pp. 91-109, doi:10.1029/96WR02985, 1997.
-  T. Uchida, K. Kosugi, and T. Mizuyama, “Effects of pipe flow and bedrock groundwater on runoff generation in a steep headwater catchment in Ashiu, central Japan,” Water Resources Research, Vol.38, No.7, pp. 1119-1133, doi:10.1029/2001WR000261, 2002.
-  T. Uchida, Y. Asano, N. Ohte, and T. Mizuyama, “Seepage area and rate of bedrock groundwater discharge at a granitic unchanneled hillslope,” Water Resources Research, Vol.39, No.1, doi:10.1029/2002WR001298, 2003.
-  S. Katsura, K. Kosugi, N. Yamamoto, and T. Mizuyama, “Saturated and unsaturated hydraulic conductivities and water retention characteristics of weathered granitic bedrock,” Vadose Zone Journal, Vol.5, No.1, pp. 35-47, doi:10.2136/vzj2005.0040, 2005.
-  K. Kosugi, D. Tsutsumi, T. Mizuyama, and S. Hasegawa, “Combined penetrometer-moisture probe for measuring water content distribution in hillslope,” Journal of the Japan Society of Erosion Control Engineering, Vol.57, No.3, pp. 3-13, 2004 (in Japanese, with English abstract).
-  Y. Yamakawa, K. Kosugi, W. Liang, and T. Mizuyama, “Improvements of the combined penetrometer-moisture probe (CPMP),” Journal of the Japan Society of Erosion Control Engineering, Vol.60, No.3, pp. 34-39, 2007 (in Japanese, with English abstract).
-  Y. Yamakawa, K. Kosugi, N. Masaoka, Y. Tada, and T. Mizuyama, “Use of a combined penetrometer-moisture probe together with geophysical methods to survey hydrological properties of a natural slope,” Vadose Zone Journal, Vol.9, No.3, pp. 768-779, doi:10.2136/vzj2010.0012, 2010.
-  N. Masaoka, K. Kosugi, Y. Yamakawa, T. Mizuyama, and D. Tsutsumi, “Application of a combined penetrometer-moisture probe for investigating heterogeneous hydrological properties of a footslope area,” Vadose Zone Journal, Vol.11, No.2, doi:10.2136/vzj2011.0064, 2012.
-  D. Michot, Y. Benderitter, A. Dorigny, B. Nicoullaud, D. King, and A. Tabbagh, “Spatial and temporal monitoring of soil water content with an irrigated corn crop cover using surface electrical resistivity tomography,” Water Resources Research, Vol.39, No.5, pp. 1138-1158, doi:10.1029/2002WR001581, 2003.
-  L. Schrott and O. Sass, “Application of field geophysics in geomorphology: Advances and limitations exemplified by case studies,” Geomorphology, Vol.93, Nos.1-2, pp. 55-73, doi:10.1016/j.geomorph.2006.12.024, 2008.
-  G. Cassiani, A. Godio, S. Stocco, A. Villa, R. Deiana, P. Frattini, and M. Rossi, “Monitoring the hydrologic behaviour of a mountain slope via time-lapse electrical resistivity tomography,” Near Surface Geophysics, Vol.7, Nos.5-6, pp. 475-486, 2009.
-  Y. Yamakawa , K. Kosugi, S. Katsura, N. Masaoka, and T. Mizuyama, “Spatial and temporal monitoring of water content in weathered granitic bedrock using electrical resistivity imaging,” Vadose Zone Journal, Vol.11, No.1, doi:10.2136/vzj2011.0029, 2012.
-  G. E. Archie, “The electrical resistivity log as an aid in determining some reservoir characteristics,” Transactions of the American Institute of Mining and Metallurgical Engineers, Vol.146, pp. 54-61, 1942.
-  G. C. Topp, J. L. Davis, and A. P. Annan, “Electromagnetic determination of soil water content: Measurements in coaxial transmission lines,” Water Resources Research, Vol.16, No.3, pp. 574-582, doi: 10.1029/WR016i003p00574, 1980.
-  K. Kosugi, Y. Yamakawa, N. Masaoka, and T. Mizuyama, “A combined penetrometer-moisture probe for surveying soil properties of natural hillslopes,” Vadose Zone Journal, Vol.8, No.1, pp. 52-63, doi: 10.2136/vzj2008.0033, 2009.
-  A. Samouëlian, I. Cousin, A. Tabbagh, A. Bruand, and G. Richard, “Electrical resistivity survey in soil science: A review,” Soil and Tillage Research, Vol.83, No.2, pp. 173-193, 2005.
-  D. B.Watson,W. E. Doll, T. J. Gamey, J. R. Sheehan, and Philip M. Jardine, “Plume and lithologic profiling with surface resistivity and seismic tomography,” Ground Water, Vol.43, No.2, pp. 169-177, 2005.
-  C. F. Pearson, P. M. Halleck, P. L. McGuire, R. Hermes, and M. Mathews, “Natural gas hydrate deposits: A review of in situ properties,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry, Vol.87, No.21, pp. 4180-4185, doi:10.1021/j100244a041, 1983.
-  O. Fasesan, F. Awolusi, and L. R. Heinze, “Analysis of errors in historical use of Archie’s parameters,” Journal of Canadian Petroleum Technology, Vol.46, No.6, pp. 57-61, 2007.
-  B. F. Schwartz andM. E. Schreiber, “Quantifying potential recharge in mantled sinkholes using ERT,” Ground Water, Vol.47, No.3, pp. 370-381, 2009.
-  A. J. William and H. Robert (Eds.), “Soil Physics (6th Edition),” Wiley, 2004.
-  H. W. Patnode and M. R. J. Wyllie, “The presence of conductive solids in reservoir rocks as a factor in electric log interpretation,” Transactions of the American Institute of Mining and Metallurgical Engineers, Vol.189, pp. 47-52. 1950.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.