Tsunami Vertical Evacuation Buildings - Lessons for International Preparedness Following the 2011 Great East Japan Tsunami
Stuart Fraser*1, Graham S. Leonard*2, Hitomi Murakami*3,
and Ichiro Matsuo*4
*1Joint Centre for Disaster Research, GNS Science / Massey University, P.O. Box 756, Wellington 6140, New Zealand
*2GNS Science, New Zealand
*3Graduate School of Science and Engineering, Yamaguchi University, Japan
*4Crisis & Environment Management Policy Institute (CeMI), Japan
-  Cabinet Office Government of Japan, “Guideline for Tsunami Evacuation Buildings,” Tokyo, 2005.
-  FEMA, “Guidelines for Design of Structures for Vertical Evacuation from Tsunamis, FEMA Report 646,” Redwood City, California, 2008.
-  FEMA, “Vertical Evacuation from Tsunamis: A Guide for Community Officials, FEMA Report 646A,” Redwood City, California, 2009.
-  K. Fujima, F. Achmad, Y. Shigihara, and N. Mizutani, “Estimation of Tsunami Force Acting on Rectangular Structures,” Journal of Disaster Research, Vol.4, No.6, pp. 404-409, 2009.
-  P. Lukkunaprasit, N. Thanasisathit, and H. Yeh, “Experimental Verification of FEMA P646 Tsunami Loading,” Journal of Disaster Research, Vol.4, No.6, pp. 410-418, 2009.
-  P. Lukkunaprasit, A. Ruangrassamee, and N. Thanasisathit, “Tsunami Loading on Buildings with Openings,” Science of Tsunami Hazards, Vol.28, No.5, pp. 303-310, 2009.
-  H. Yeh, “Design Tsunami Forces for Onshore Structures,” Journal of Disaster Research, Vol.2, No.6, pp. 531-536, 2007.
-  S. Yagi and Y. Hasemi, “Requirements and Verification Methodology for the Design Performance of Tsunami-Hinan Buildings (Temporary Tsunami Refuge Building),” Journal of Disaster Research, Vol.5, No.5, pp. 591-600, 2010.
-  N. Mori, T. Takahashi, T. Yasuda, and H. Yanagisawa, “Survey of 2011 Tohoku earthquake tsunami inundation and run-up,” Geophysical Research Letters, Vol.38, No.September, pp. 6-11, Sep. 2011.
-  S. A. Fraser, G. S. Leonard, H.Murakami, and I.Matsuo, “Tsunami Evacuation: Lessons from the Great East Japan earthquake and tsunami of March 11th 2011,” GNS Science Report 2012/17, Lower Hutt, New Zealand, 2012.
-  EEFIT, “The Mw9.0 Tohoku earthquake and tsunami of 11th March 2011 – A field report by EEFIT,” Earthquake Engineering Field Investigation Team, IStructE, London, UK, 2011.
-  S. A. Fraser, A. Raby, A. Pomonis, K. Goda, S. C. Chian, J. Macabuag, M. Offord, K. Saito, and P. Sammonds, “Tsunami damage to coastal defences and buildings in theMarch 11th 2011 Mw9.0 Great East Japan earthquake and tsunami,” Bulletin of Earthquake Engineering, 2012, 10.1007/s10518-012-9348-9.
-  T. Rossetto, et al., “The Indian Ocean tsunami of December 26, 2004: observations in Sri Lanka and Thailand,” Natural Hazards, Vol.42, No.1, pp. 105-124, Nov. 2006.
-  P. Lukkunaprasit and A. Ruangrassamee, “Building damage in Thailand in the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami and clues for tsunamiresistant design,” The IES Journal Part A: Civil & Structural Engineering, Vol.1, No.1, pp. 17-30, Jan. 2008.
-  American Society of Civil Engineers, “More Evidence of Overwhelmed Seawalls,” ASCE Japan Tsunami Reconnaissance Team – Day 3, 2011 [Online],
Available: http://www.asce.org/PPLContent.aspx?id=12884906357 [Accessed: 30-Jun-2011].
-  D. Lignos, “Effects of the 2011 Tohoku Japan Earthquake on Steel Structures,” EERI Team Field Blog, 03-Aug-2011 [Online],
Available: http://www.eqclearinghouse.org/2011-03-11-sendai/2011/08/03/eeri-steel-structures-reconnaissance-group/ [Accessed: 17-Feb-2012]
-  The Kahoku Shimpo, “Tragedy of Public Shizugawa hospital, Minami-Sanriku.,” The Kahoku Shimpo, 07-Jun-2011.
-  Y. Goto, M. Affan, Y. Nurdin, and D. K. Yuliana, “Tsunami Evacuation Simulation for Disaster Education and City Planning,” Journal of Disaster Research, Vol.7, No.1, pp. 92-101, 2012.
-  F. Imamura, A. Muhari, E. Mas, M. H. Pradono, J. Post, and M. Sugimoto, “Tsunami Disaster Mitigation by Integrating Comprehensive Countermeasures in Padang City, Indonesia,” Journal of Disaster Research, Vol.7, No.1, pp. 48-64, 2012.
-  N. J. Wood and M. C. Schmidtlein, “Anisotropic path modeling to assess pedestrian-evacuation potential from Cascadia-related tsunamis in the US Pacific Northwest,” Natural Hazards, Oct. 2011.
-  NPO CeMI, “Northeastern Pacific Ocean off the coast earthquake: Preliminary analysis of questionnaire survey on tsunami,” Tokyo, Japan, 2011.
-  L. Dengler, “The Role of Education in the National Tsunami Hazard Mitigation Program,” Natural Hazards, Vol.35, No.1, pp. 141-153, May 2005.
-  D. M. Johnston, D. Paton, G. L. Crawford, K. R. Ronan, B. F. Houghton, and P. Borgelt, “Measuring Tsunami Preparedness in CoastalWashington, United States,” Natural Hazards, Vol.35, No.1, pp. 173-184, May 2005.
-  Project Safe Haven, “Project Safe Haven: Tsunami vertical evacuation on the Washington coast – Grays Harbor County,” Seattle, Washington, 2011.
-  Project Safe Haven, “Project Safe Haven: Tsunami vertical evacuation on the Washington coast – Pacific County,” Seattle, Washington, 2011.
-  G. S. Leonard et al., “Scoping study for evaluating the tsunami vulnerability of New Zealand buildings for use as evacuation structures,” GNS Science Report 2011/36, Lower Hutt, New Zealand, 2011.
-  MCDEM, “Tsunami Evacuation Zones. Director’s Guideline for Civil Defence Emergency Management Groups [DGL 08/08],” Wellington, New Zealand, 2008.
-  U. Sharma and A. Patt, “Disaster warning response: the effects of different types of personal experience,” Natural Hazards, Vol.60, No.2, pp. 409-423, 2012.
-  “Reaction project for the 2011 off the pacific coast of Tohoku earthquake,” 2011 [Online],
Available: http://stlab.iis.utokyo.ac.jp/eq data/index e.html [Accessed: 07-Jul-2012]
-  The 2011 Tohoku Earthquake Tsunami Joint Survey Group, “The 2011 off the Pacific coast of Tohoku Earthquake Tsunami Information – Field Survey Results. Coastal Engineering Committee of the Japan Society of Civil Engineers.,” 2011 [Online],
Available: http://www.coastal.jp/tsunami2011/index.php?Field survey results [Accessed: 18-Nov-2011].
-  Fire and Disaster Management Agency of Japan, “Report 144 on the effects of the March 11, 2011 Great Tōhoku earthquake, February 14 2012,” 2012.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.