A Study on Community-Based Reconstruction from Nuclear Power Plant Disaster – A Case Study of Minamisoma Ota Area in Fukushima –
Tomoyuki Furutani*, Keisuke Uehara**, and Jun Murai**
*Faculty of Policy Management, Keio University, 5322, Endo Fujisawa, Kanagawa 252-0882, Japan
**Faculty of Environment and Information Studies, Keio University, 5322 Endo, Fujisawa, Kanagawa 252-0882, Japan
In this research, the authors developed a car-borne radiation measurement method for the farmland and roads in the Minamisoma Ota area of Fukushima that was devasteted by the Great East Japan Earthquake that occurred in northeast Japan on March 11, 2011, and a community-led radiation measurement framework was established and implemented. As a result, radiation measurements and visualization for farmlands, paddies, and forests, which had been conventionally unachievable, was made possible. Furthermore, effective verification of the effect of decontamination also became possible by feeding back radiation measurement results before and after decontamination to residents.
-  N. Nakajima and A. Tanaka, “Past Tsunami Disasters and Reconstruction Planning in Sanriku Region,” City Planning, 291, pp.45-48, 2011 (in Japanese).
-  T. Abe and K. Masuo “Sequential reconstruction machizukuri in patchy affected areas – a case of Kesennuma,” Machizukuri, 32, pp. 24-29, 2011.
-  K. Urakami, “Impacts for environmental contamination and society in neighboring villages affected by TEPCO Fukushima No.1 NPP accident after the Great East Japan Earthquake,” Village Planning, Vol.30, No.1, pp. 12-14, 2011.
-  M. D. Bondarkov, et al., “Environmental radiation monitoring in the Chernobyl exclusion zone – History and results 25 years after,” Health Physics, Vol.101, No.4, pp. 442-485, 2011.
-  IAEA, 2003, “Guidelines for radioelement mapping using gamma ray spectrometry data,” IAEA-TECDOC-1363.
-  K. Konstantin, “Spatial Statistical Data Analysis for GIS Users,” ESRI Press, 2011.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.