Sensitivity Studies on a Bending Wall of IRIS_2010 Benchmark Exercise
Arja Saarenheimo*, Markku Tuomala**, Pekka Välikangas***,
and Ari Vepsä*
*VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland, Kemistintie 3, Espoo, P.O.Box 1000, FI-02044 VTT, Finland
**Department of Civil Engineering, Tampere University of Technology, Tekniikankatu 12, P.O.Box 600, FIN-33101, Tampere, Finland
***Radiation and Nuclear Safety Authority (STUK), Laippatie 4, PL 14, 00881 Helsinki, Finland
Reinforced concrete wall subjected to an impact by a deformable stainless steel missile with a mass of 50 kg and an impact velocity of 110 m/s was one case study in the IRIS_2010 benchmark exercise. The dimensions of the tested and analyzed simply supported square slab are: a span width of 2 m and a thickness of 15 cm. The expected collapse mode in this case was failure by bending. VTT team participated in the blind benchmark exercise. Various sensitivity studies for this so called flexural test were carried out afterwards and the recent results are presented and discussed in this paper.
and Ari Vepsä, “Sensitivity Studies on a Bending Wall of IRIS_2010 Benchmark Exercise,” J. Disaster Res., Vol.7, No.5, pp. 629-637, 2012.
-  A. Vepsä, A. Saarenheimo, F. Tarallo, J.-M. Rambach, and N. Orbovic, “IRIS 2010 – Part II: Experimental data,” In Proc. of the 21st Int. Conf. of Structural Mechanics in Reactor Technology (SMiRT 21), New Delhi, November, 2011.
-  J. D. Riera, “On the stress analysis of structures subjected to aircraft impact forces,” Nuclear Engineering and Design, Vol.8, pp. 415-426, 1968.
-  N. Jones, “Structural Impact,” Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1989.
-  J. M. Alexander, “An approximate analysis of the collapse of thin cylindrical shells under axial loading,” Quarterly J. of Mechanics and Applied Mathematics, Vol.13, pp. 10-15, 1960.
-  T. Wierzbicki, S. U. Bhat, W. Abramowicz, and D. Brodkin, “Alexander revisited-a two folding elements model of progressive crushing of tubes,” Int. J. of Solids and Structures, Vol.24, pp. 3269-3288, 1992.
-  X. Huang and G. Lu, “Axisymmetric progressive crushing of circular tubes,” Int. J. of Crashworthiness, Vol.8, pp. 87-95, 2003.
-  T. Nonaka, “Some interaction effects in a problem of plastic dynamics,” J. of Applied Mechanics, Vol.34, pp. 623-643, 1967.
-  ABAQUS Theory Manual, version 6.11-1, Dassault Systemes, 2011.
-  CEB Bulletin d’information. No.187, “Concrete Structures under Impact and Impulsive Loading,” 1988.
-  D. A. Hordijk, “Local approach to fatigue of concrete,” Thesis Technische Universitet Delft, ISBN 90-9004519-8, 210 p, 1991.
-  Comite Euro-International du Beton. “Design of concrete structures,” CEB-FIP-Model-Code 1990. Thomas Telford Ltd, 1993.
-  J.-M. Rambach and F. Tarallo, “Simple analytical models for beams and slabs under soft impacts at medium speed,” Proc. of the 16th Int. Conf. on Nuclear Engineering, Orlando, Florida, USA, ICONE16-48583, 2008.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.