Impact Tests for IRIS_2010 Benchmark Exercise
Ari Vepsä*, Arja Saarenheimo*, Francois Tarallo**,
Jean-Mathieu Rambach**, and Nebojsa Orbovic***
*VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland, Kemistintie 3, Espoo, P.O. Box 1000, FI-02044 VTT, Finland
**Institut de Radioprotection et de Sûreté Nucléaire (IRSN), BP 17, 92262 Fontenay-aux-Roses, France
***Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission (CNSC) – Commission Canadienne de Sũreté Nucléaire (CCSN), 280 Slater Street, Ottawa, Ontario K1P 5S9, Canada
IRIS_2010 benchmark was an exercise in OECD/NEA/CSNI framework. This exercise concentrated on improving robustness assessment methodologies for structures impacted by missiles. This article describes experimental tests included in the exercise. These tests consisted of two tests for bending, three for punching and one for combined punching and bending behaviour of reinforced concrete walls under impact loading. The test for combined behaviour was carried out in Meppen, Germany in the 1980’s, while all the other tests were carried out by VTT Technical research centre of Finland during the spring of 2010. In the bending behaviour tests, 0.15 m thick simply supported square concrete walls with span width of 2 m were impacted with soft missiles weighing ∼50 kg and having velocity of ∼110 m/s at the impact moment. The impacts resulted maximum displacements of 29-32 mm at the centre of the wall with the permanent values being 8-9 mm. In the punching behaviour tests, similar walls but with thickness of 0.25 m were impacted with hard missiles weighing ∼47.5 kg and having velocity of ∼135 m/s at the impact moment. The impacts resulted perforation of the wall by the missile with residual velocity of the missile being 34-46 m/s. In addition, the walls suffered severe scabbing on the backside with the scabbed area being 1.00-1.12 m2.
-  A. Saarenheimo, K. Calonius, M. Tuomala, and I. Hakola, “Soft missile impact on shear reinforced concrete wall,” Journal of Disaster Research, Vol.5, No.4, pp. 426-435, 2010.
-  M. Tuomala, K. Calonius, A. Saarenheimo, and P. Välikangas, “Hard missile impact on prestressed shear reinforced slab,” Journal of Disaster Research, Vol.5, No.4, pp. 437-450, 2010.
-  Nuclear Energy Agency, Committee on the Safety of Nuclear Installations, “Improving robustness assessment methodologies for structures impacted by missiles (IRIS 2010). Final Report,” NEA/CSNI/R(2011)8, 2011.
-  J.-M. Rambach, N. Orbovic, and F. Tarallo, “IRIS 2010 – Part I: General overview of the benchmark,” Proc. of the 21st International Conference of Structural Mechanics in Reactor Technology (SMiRT21), New Delhi, November, 2011.
-  N. Orbovic, F. Benboudjema, J.-B. Colliat, Y. Berthaud, F. Tarallo, and J.-M. Rambach, “IRIS 2010 – Part III: Numerical simulations of Meppen II-4 test and VTT-IRSN-CNSC Punching tests,” Proc. of the 21st International Conference of Structural Mechanics in Reactor Technology (SMiRT21), New Delhi, November, 2011.
-  Y. Berthaud, F. Benboudjema, J.-B. Colliat, F. Tarallo, N. Orbovic, and J.-M. Rambach, “IRIS-2010 – Part IV: Numerical simulations of flexural VTT-IRSN tests,” Proc. of the 21st International Conference of Structural Mechanics in Reactor Technology (SMiRT21), New Delhi, November, 2011.
-  F. Tarallo, N. Orbovic, J.-M. Rambach, F. Benboudjema, J.-B. Colliat, and Y. Berthaud, “IRIS 2010 – Part V: Lessons learned, recommendations and tracks for future works,” Proc. of the 21st International Conference of Structural Mechanics in Reactor Technology (SMiRT21), India, November, 2011.
-  W. Jonas, E. Rüdiger, M. Gries, H. Riech, and H. Rützel, “Kinetische Grenztragfähigkeit von Stahlbetonplatten,” RS 165, Schlussbericht and 165 (RS149), Anhangband IV (RS 149) Technischer Bericht, Hochtief AG, 1982.
-  W. Nachtsheim and F. Stangenberg, “Interpretation of results of meppen slab tests-Comparison with parametric investigations,” Nuclear Engineering and Design, Vol.75, Issue 2, pp. 283-290, 1983.
-  R. Zinn, F. Stangenberg, M. Borgerhoff, D. Chauvel, and J.-P. Touret, “Non-linear behvaiour of cocnrete structures under severe impact,” Proc. of CONSEC’07, Tours, June, 2007.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.