Disinfection Against the Outbreaks of Foot and Mouth Disease (FMD)
Epizootiology Laboratory, Faculty of Agriculture, Department of Veterinary Science, Research and Education Center for Prevention Global Infectious Diseases of Animals, Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology, 3-5-8, Fuchu, Tokyo 183-8509, Japan
-  N. Muroga, Y. Hayama, T. Yamamoto, A. Kurogi, T. Tsuda, and T. Tsutsui, “The foot-and-mouth disease epidemic in Japan, 2010,” J. Vet. Med. Sci., Nov. 11, 2011 (Epub ahead of print).
-  L. J. King, “History and future perspectives of the use of disinfectants in animal health,” Rev. Sci. tech. Off. Int. Epz., Vol.14, No.1, pp. 41-46, 1995.
-  W. C. Barrette, D. M. Hannum, W. D. Wheeler, and J. K. Jurst, “General mechanism for the bacterial toxicity of hypochlorous acid: abolition of ATP production,” Biochmistry, Vol.28, pp. 9172-9178, 1989.
-  G. Bruins and J. A. Dyer, “Environmental considerations of disinfectants used in agriculture,” Rev. Sci. tech. Off. Int. Epz., Vol.14, No.1, pp. 81-94, 1995.
-  N. N. Daoud, N. A. Dickinson, and P. Gilbert, “Antimicrobial activity and physical properties of some alkyldimethylbenzylammonium chlorides,” Microbios, Vol.37, pp. 73-85, 1983.
-  G. M. Tastayre, and R. Holley, “Choice and use of chemical sanitizers in the food industry,” Communications Branch, Agriculture Canada, Ottawa, 1986.
-  J. Shirai, R. Seki, R. Kamimura, and S. Mitsubayashi, “Effects of invert soap with 0.05% sodium hydroxide on infectious bursal disease virus,” Avian Dis. Vol.38, pp. 240-243, 1994.
-  J. Shirai, T. Kanno, T. Inoue, S.Mitsubayashi, and R. Seki, “Effects of quaternary ammonium compounds with 0.1% sodium hydroxide on swine vesicular disease virus,” J. Vet. Med. Sci. Vol.59, pp. 323-328, 1997.
-  C. N. Sawyer and P. L. McCarty, “Chemistry for sanitary engineers, 2nd Ed,” McGraw-Hill, Tronto, pp. 122-125, 1967.
-  G. Kahn, “Depigmentation caused by phenolic detergent germicides,” Arch. Dermatol., Vol.102, pp. 177-187, 1970.
-  A. D. Russell, “Principles of antimicrobial activity. In Disinfection, sterilization and preservation, 3rd Ed. (S.S.Block, Ed.),” Lea & Febiger, Philadelphia, pp. 717-745, 1983.
-  A. Sebesteny, G.Milite, and P.Martelossi, “Microbiologically monitored fumigation of newly built SPF laboratory rodent facility,” Lab. Anim., Vol.26, pp. 132-139, 1992.
-  H. Noll and J. S. Youngner, “Virus-lipid interactions,” The mechanism of adsorption of lipophilic viruses to water insoluble polar lipids. Virology, Vol.8, pp. 319-343, 1959.
-  M. Klein and A. Deforest, “The chemical inactivation of viruses,” Fed. Proc., Vol.24, No.319, 1965.
-  M. Klein and A. Deforest, “Principles of viral inactivation,” In Disinfection sterilization and preservation, 3rd Ed. (S.S. Block, Ed),” Lea & Febiger, Philadelphia, pp. 422-434, 1983.
-  F. W. Scott, “Virucidal disinfectants and feline viruses,” Am. J. vet. Res., Vol.41, pp. 410-414, 1979.
-  J. B. Derbyshire and S. Arkells, “The activity of some chemical disinfectants against Talfan virus and porcine adenovirus type 2,” Br. Vet. J., Vol.127, pp. 137-142, 1971.
-  D. H. Evans, P. Stuart, and D. H. Roberts, “Disinfection of animal viruses,” Br. Vet. J., Vol.133, pp. 356-359, 1977.
-  P. Maris, “Activité de divers désinfectants sur sept virus enveloppés,” Ann. Res. Vet., Vol.17, pp. 433-439, 1986.
-  P. Maris, “Efficacité virucide de huit désinfectants contre le pneumovirus, coronavirus et parvovirus,” Ann. Res. Vet., Vol.21, pp. 275-279, 1990.
-  W. E. Cotton, “Vesicular stomatitis,” Vet. Med., Vol.22, pp. 169-175, 1927.
-  G. Tokuda, T. Tokui, M. Khono, T. Nakagawa, T. Kumagai, and J. Sasahara, “Experimental infection of pigs with swine vesicular disease virus isolated in Japan,” Bull. Natl Inst. Anim. Health, Vol.70, pp. 19-26, 1975 (in Japanese with English summary).
-  J. Shirai, T. Kanno, Y. Tsuchiya, S. Mitsubayashi, and R. Seki, “Effects of chlorine, iodine, and quaternary ammonium compound disinfectants on several exotic disease viruses,” J. Vet. Med. Sci., Vol.62, pp. 85-92, 2000.
-  K. Sakamoto, T. Kanno, M. Yamakawa, K. Yoshida, R. Yamazoe, and Y. Murakami, “Isolation of foot-and-mouth disease virus from Japanese black cattle in Miyazaki prefecture, Japan, 2000,” J. Vet. Med. Sci., Vol.64, pp. 91-94, 2002.
-  J. Shirai, “Effects of disinfectants marketed in Japan on the foot-and-mouth disease virus,” J. Jpn. Vet. Med. Assoc., Vol.55, pp. 575-579, 2002 (in Japanese with English summary).
-  J. M. Owen, “Disinfection of farrowing pens,” Rev. Sci. tech. Off. Int. Epz., Vol.14, No.2, pp. 381-391, 1995.
-  Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries (MAFF), “The manual of disinfectants against FMD,” Statutory Instrument. Animal Health Division, Food Safety and Consumer Affairs Bureau, Japan, 2010.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.