Nonlinear Behavior of Masonry Arch Bridge Under Ground Deformation
Yusuke Kishi*, Katsuyoshi Nozaka**, and Kazuyuki Izuno**
*Graduate School of Science and Engineering, Ritsumeikan University, 1-1-1 Noji-higashi, Kusatsu, Shiga 525-8577, Japan
**Department of Civil Engineering, Ritsumeikan University, 1-1-1 Noji-higashi, Kusatsu, Shiga 525-8577, Japan
This paper discusses simple modeling and examples of masonry arch bridge analysis considering ground deformation. Preserving historicalmasonry arch bridges is important to continuing our industrial heritage for the next generations. A single-span masonry arch bridge was analyzed using the finite element method with two meshing schemes considering material nonlinearity to define reasonable modeling for such arch bridges. Results show that analytical model meshed automatically with a commercial FEM program preprocessor considering material plasticity reasonably simulates the behavior of the detailed masonry model. The effects of deformation on bridge behavior and stress distribution in arch bridges are also discussed.
-  P. B. Lourenço, J. G. Rots, and J. Blaauwendraad, “Continuum model for masonry: parameter estimation and validation,” J. of Structural Engineering, ASCE, Vol.124, No.6, pp. 642-652, 1998.
-  C. Molins and P. Roca, “Capacity of masonry arches and spatial frames,” J. of Structural Engineering, ASCE, Vol.124, No.6, pp. 653-663, 1988.
-  P. B. Lourenço, “Anisotropic softening model for masonry plates and shells,” J. of Structural Engineering, ASCE, Vol.126, No.9, pp. 1008-1016, 2000.
-  P. J. Fanning, T. E. Boothby, and B. J. Roberts, “Longitudinal and transverse effects in masonry arch assessment,” Construction and Building Materials, Vol.15, pp. 51-60, 2001.
-  A. Cavicchi and L. Gambarotta, “Collapse analysis of masonry bridges taking into account arch-fill interaction,” Engineering Structures, Vol.27, pp. 605-615, 2005.
-  J. Pina-Henriques and P. B. Lourenço, “Masonry compression: a numerical investigation at the meso-level,” Int. J. for Computer-Aided Engineering and Software, Vol.23, No.4, pp. 382-407, 2006.
-  G. Milani, P. B. Lourenço, and A. Tralli, “Homogenised limit analysis of masonry walls, Part I: Failure surfaces,” Computers and Structures, Vol.84, pp. 166-180, 2006.
-  G. Milani, P. B. Lourenço, and A. Tralli, “Homogenised limit analysis of masonry walls, Part II: Structural examples,” Computers and Structures, Vol.84, pp. 181-195, 2006.
-  A. Zucchini and P. B. Lourenço, “Mechanics of masonry in compression: Results from a homogenization approach,” Computers and Structures, Vol.85, pp. 193-204, 2007.
-  G. Milani, P. B. Lourenço, and A. Tralli, “3D homogenized limit analysis of masonry buildings under horizontal loads,” Engineering Structures, Vol.29, pp. 3134-3148, 2007.
-  F. Fernandes and P. B. Lourenço, “Evaluation of the compressive strength of ancient clay bricks using microdrilling,” J. of Materials in Civil Engineering, ASCE, Vol.19, No.9, pp. 791-800, 2007.
-  V. Mallardo, R. Malvezzi, E. Milani, and G. Milani, “Seismic vulnerability of historical masonry buildings: A case study in Ferrara,” Engineering Structures, Vol.30, pp. 2223-2241, 2008.
-  G. de Felice, “Assessment of the load-carrying capacity of multispan masonry arch bridges using fibre beam elements,” Engineering Structures, Vol.31, pp. 1634-1647, 2009.
-  J. Armesto, J. Roca-Pardinas, H. Lorenzo, and P. Arias, “Modelling masonry arches shape using terrestrial laser scanning data and nonparametric methods,” Engineering Structures, Vol.31, pp. 1634-1647, 2009.
-  J. Kino, T. Sugano, and T. Furuya, “Strength tests of the test piece from the brick structure,” Proc. of 56th Annual Conf. of Japan Society of Civil Engineers, Part V, pp. 222-223, 2001 (in Japanese).
-  T. Shinomiya, Y. Nakanishi, and T. Shiotani, “Dammage Diagnosis Technique for Brick Structures Using AEMonitoring,” Proc. of 58th Annual Conf. of Japan Society of Civil Engineers, Part V, pp. 379-380, 2003 (in Japanese).
-  T. Tadokoro, C. Kawamura, and S. Tottori, “A study on the material properties of joints of actual masonry structures,” Proc. of 59th Annual Conf. of Japan Society of Civil Engineers, Part VI, pp. 361-362, 2004 (in Japanese).
-  MSC Software, “Marc User’s Manual Marc2010,” 2010.
-  A. Bourzam, T. Goto, and M. Miyajima, “Shear capacity prediction of confined masonry walls subjected to cyclic lateral loading,” J. of Japan Society of Civil Engineers A, Vol.64, No.4, pp. 692-704, 2008 (in Japanese).
-  Japan Road Association, “Specification for Highway Bridge, Part I: Common,” 2002.