Parametric Study on the Floor Response Spectra and the Damage Potential of Aircraft Impact Induced Vibratory Loading
Anton Andonov, Kiril Apostolov, Dimitar Stefanov, and Marin Kostov
Risk Engineering Ltd., 10 Vihren Str, Pavlovo, Sofia 1618, Bulgaria
Assessment of the effects of a large aircraft impact on a NPP reactor building are the basic topics of the present work. The focus is on the dynamic response of the internal sub-structures, by means of floor response spectra. Factors influencing the floor response spectra, as the nonlinearities of the impact area, load time function shape and the impact velocity are pointed out and subsequent conclusions are made. Alternative motion parameters for assessment of the damage potential and procedure for indirect assessment of the equipment capacity are also discussed.
-  J. D. Riera, “A critical reapraisal of nuclear power plant safety against accidental aircraft impact,” Nuclear Engineering and Design, Vol.57, pp. 193-206, 1980.
-  J. D. Riera, “On the stress analysis of structures subjected to aircraft impact forces,” Nuclear Engineering and Design, Vol.8, pp. 415-426, 1968.
-  K. Drittler, L. Gruner, and L. Sutterlin, “Zur Auslegung kerntechnischer Anlagen gagen einwirkungen von aussen,” IRS-W-7, 1973.
-  F.-O. Henkel and H. Wölfel, “Building concept against airplane crash,” Nuclear Engineering and Design, Vol.79, pp. 397-409, 1984.
-  F.-O. Henkel and D. Klein, “Variants of analysis of the load case airplane crash,” SMiRT 19, paper J03-2, 2007.
-  O. Joval, “Airplane crash simulations: comparisson of analyses results with test data,” SMiRT 19, paper J04-4, 2007.
-  J. Stepan, “Large commercial aircraft crash into the light-weight nuclear facility building,” SMiRT 19, paper J03-1, 2007.
-  “SOLVIA Finite Element System Version 03, User Manual,” SOLVIA Engineering AB, Vasteras, 2003.
-  “CEB-FIP Model Code 1990: Design Code,” Comité eurointernational du béton. Fédération internationale de la précontrainte, T. Telford, 1993.
-  H. Shuler, Ch. Mayrhofer, and Kl. Thoma, “Spall experiments for the measurment of the tensile strength and fracture energy of concrete at high strain rates,” International Journal of Impact Engineering, Vol.32, pp. 1635-1650, Elsevier, 2005.
-  US NRC RG 1.166, “Pre-earthquake planning and immediate nuclear power plant operator post-earthquake actions,” 1997.
-  S. A. Freeman, “Prediction of response of concrete buildings to severe earthquake motion,” ACI SP-55, pp. 589-605, 1978.
-  ATC-40, “Seismic evaluation and retrofit of concrete buildings,” Applied Technology Consul, 1996.