‘Setting the Stage’: How Policy Institutions Frame Participationin Post-Disaster Recovery
Department of Urban and Regional Planning, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 111 Temple Buell Hall, 611 Lorado Taft Drive, Champaign IL 61820, USA
-  E. Coles and P. Buckle, “Developing Community Resilience as a Foundation of Effective Disaster Recovery, Napier, New Zealand : Ministry of Civil Defence & Emergency Management,” New Zealand Recovery Symposium Proceedings, pp. 92-105, 2004.
-  B. E. Aguirre, “On the Concept of Resilience, University of Delaware Library Institutional Repository,” 2006 (online),
http://dspace.udel.edu:8080/dspace/handle/19716/2517 [Cited: October 5, 2009.]
-  S. B. Manyena, “The concept of resilience revisited,” Disasters, Vol.30, No.4, p. 433-450, 2006.
-  D. R. Godschalk, “Urban Hazard Mitigation: Creating Resilient Cities,” Natural Hazards Review, pp. 136-143, August 2003.
-  R. Jones, “An environmental risk assessment/management framework for climate change impact assessments,” Natural Hazards, Vol.23, pp. 197-230, 2003.
-  E. L. Tompkins and W. N. Adger, “Does adaptive management of natural resources enhance resilience to climate change?” 2: 10, Ecology and Society, Vol.9, 2004 (online),
-  R. B. Olshansky, “Planning After Hurricane Katrina,” Journal of the American Planning Association, Vol.72, No.2, pp. 147-153, 2006.
-  B. Smit and J. Wandel, “Adaptation, adaptive capacity and vulnerability,” Global Environmental Change, Vol.16, No.3, pp. 282-292, 2006.
-  C. B. Rubin, M. D. Saperstein, and D. G. Barbee, “Community Recovery from a Major Natural Disaster,” s.l. : Institute of Behavioral Science, University of Colorado, Boulder, Monograph No.41, Program on Environment and Behavior, 1985.
-  A. Oliver-Smith, “Successes and failures in post-disaster resettlement,” Disasters, Vol.15, No.1, pp. 12-23, 1991.
-  P. R. Berke, J. Kartez, and D. Wenger, “Recovery after disaster: Achieving sustainable development, mitigation and equity,” Disasters, Vol.17, No.2, pp. 93-109, 1993.
-  R. J. Burby, “Making plans that matter: citizen involvement and government action,” Journal of the American Planning Association, Vol.69, No.1, pp. 33-50, 2003.
-  N. Nelson and S. Wright, “Participation and Power, Power and Participatory Development: Theory and Practice, London, UK,” Intermediate Technology Publications, 1995.
-  U. Kothari and B. Cooke, Participation: The new tyranny?, London, UK : Zed Books, 2001.
-  D. Craig and D. Porter, “Framing participation: development projects, professionals and organisations,” Development in Practice, Vol.7, No.3, pp. 229-236, 1997.
-  C. H. Davidson et al. “Truths and myths about community participation in post-disaster housing projects,” Habitat International, Vol.31, pp. 100-115, 2007.
-  IFRC, “Community Participation in Rebuilding the Maldives,” Geneva, Switzerland : International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC), 2007.
-  F. Steinberg, “Housing reconstruction and rehabilitation in Aceh and Nias, Indonesia–Rebuilding lives,” Habitat International, Vol.31, No.1, pp. 150-166, 2007.
-  Institute of Development Studies, “Overcoming the barriers: Mainstreaming climate change adaptation in developing countries,” Middlesex, UK : Tearfund, 2006.
-  F. Fischer, “Citizen Participation and the Democratization of Policy Expertise: From Theoretical Inquiry to Practical Cases,” Policy Sciences, Vol.26, No.3, pp. 165-187, 1993.
-  H. P. Dachler and B. Wilpert, “Conceptual Dimensions and Boundaries of Participation in Organizations: A Critical Evaluation,” Administrative Science Quarterly, Vol.23, No.1, pp. 1-39, 1978.
-  G. Mansuri and V. Rao, “Community-based and -driven Development: A Critical Review,” The World Bank Oberver, Vol.19, No.1, pp. 1-39, 2004.
-  NCRC, About Nagapattinam, NGO Coordination and Resource Centre (NCRC), [Online] [Cited: May 20, 2008.]
-  C. Prater, et al. “Social Capacity in Nagapattinam, Tamil Nadu after the December 2004 Great Sumatra Earthquake and Tsunami,” Earthquake Spectra, Vol.22, No.S3, pp. S715-S729, June 2006.
-  G.O.Ms.No.25., s.l. : Revenue (NC. III) Department, January 13, 2005.
-  Government of Tamil Nadu, “Memorandum of Understanding between Collector of District, Tamil Nadu & Non Governmental Organisation / Voluntary Agency / Private-Public Enterprise / Rehabilitation Organisation / Trust (Revised Draft),” February 16, 2005.
-  G.O.Ms.No.26., s.l. : Revenue (NC.III) Department, January 13, 2005.
-  M. Nambiar, “Making the Gram Sabha Work,” Economic and Political Weekly, Vol.36, No.33, pp. 3114-3117, 2001.
-  T. Besley, R. Pande, and V. Rao, “Participatory Democracy in Action: Survey Evidence from India,” Journal of the European Economics Association, Vol.3, No.2-3, pp. 648-657, 2005.
-  A. Inam, “Planning for the Unplanned: Recovering from Crises in Megacities,” London, UK : Routledge, 2005.
-  D. Chandrasekhar, Making Sense of “Planning” In the Post-Disaster Recovery Context: On Plans, Projects and Policy, Crystal City, VA : Annual Conference of the Association of Collegiate Schools of Planning (ACSP), 2009.
-  Senior Official, “Nagapattinam District Revenue Office,” March 4, 2008.
-  J. Clark, “Democratizing development: the role of voluntary organizations, West Hartford, CT,” Kumarian Press, 1991.
-  R. Tandon, “Riding High or Nosediving: Development NGOs in the New Millennium,” Development in Practice, Vol.10, No.3/4, pp. 319-329, 2000.
-  G. Mohan and K. Stokke, “Participatory Development and Empowerment: The Dangers of Localism,” Third World Quarterly, Vol.21, No.2, pp. 247-268, 2000.
-  W. F. Fisher, “Doing Good? The Politics and Antipolitics of NGO Practices,” Annual Review of Anthropology, Vol.26, pp. 439-464, 1997.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.