Building Community Capacity for Disaster Resilience in Taiwan
Liang-Chun Chen* and Yi-Wen Wang**
*Graduate Institute of Building and Planning, National Taiwan University, No.1, Sec. 4, Roosevelt Road, Taipei 10617, Taiwan
**National Science and Technology Center for Disaster Reduction, 9F., No.200, Sec. 3, Beisin Rd., Sindian City, 23143 Taipei County, Taiwan
-  “International Strategy for Disaster Reduction,” World Conf. on Disaster Reduction: Hyogo Declaration, Hyogo, Japan, January 18-22, 2005.
-  I. Burton, R. W. Kates, and G. F. White, “The Environment as Hazard,” Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK, 1978.
-  T. Gabor and T. K. Griffith, “The Assessment of Community Vulnerability to Acute Hazardous Materials Incidents,” J. of Hazardous Materials 8: pp. 323-333, 1980.
-  W. Mitchell, “Whether and When? Probability and Timing of Incumbents’ Entry into Emerging Industrial Subfields,” Administrative Science Quarterly, Vol.34, No.2, Jun. 1989, pp. 208-230.
-  S. L. Cutter, “The Vulnerability of Science and the Science of Vulnerability,” Annals of Georgetown County, South Carolina, Annals of Association of American Geographers Vol.90, No.4, pp. 713-737, 2003.
-  W. N. Adger, “Vulnerability,” Global Environmental Change, 16, pp. 268-281, 2006.
-  G. C. Gallopin, “Linkage Between Vulnerability, Resilience, and Adaptive Capacity,” Global Environmental Change, 16, pp. 293-303, 2006.
-  J. X. Kasperson and R. E. Kasperson, “International Workshop on Vulnerability and Global Environmental Change,” SEI Risk and Vulnerability Programme Report 2001-01, Stockholm Environment Institute, Stockholm, Sweden, 2001.
-  B. L. Turner II, R. E. Kasperson, P. A. Matson, I. J. McCarthy, R.W. Corell, L. Christensen, N. Eckley, J. X. Kasperson, A. Luers, M. L. Martello, C. Polsky, A. Pulsipher, and A. Schiller, “A Framework for Vulnerability Analysis in Sustainability Science,” Proc. of the National Academy of Sciences of United States of America, 100, pp. 8074-8079, 2003.
-  L. K. Comfort, “Shared Risk: Complex Systems in Seismic Response,” Pergamon, 1999.
-  W. N. Adger, “Social and Ecological Resilience: Are They Related?,” Progress in Human Geography, 24, pp. 347-364, 2000.
-  K. Tierney and M. Bruneau, “Conceptualizing and Measuring Resistance: A Key to Disaster Loss Reduction,” TR News 250, May-June, pp. 14-17, 2007.
-  L. C. Chen, Y. C. Liu, and K. C. Chan, “Integrated Community-Based Disaster Management Program in Taiwan: A Case Study of Shang-An Village,” Natural hazards, 37, pp. 209-223, 2006.
-  M. K. Lindell, C. S. Prater, and R. W. Perry, “Fundamentals of Emergency Management. Emmitsburg MD: Federal Emergency Management Agency Emergency Management Institute,”
Available at www.training.fema.gov/EMIWeb/edu/fem.asp, 2006.
-  National Disasters Prevention and Protection Commission, “Disaster Prevention and Relief Plan: Integrated Communitybased Disaster Management,” Taipei, Taiwan,
available at : http://www.ndppc.nat.gov.tw/ndppc.htm, 2002 (in Chinese).
-  D. Paton and D. Johnston, “Disasters and communities: Vulnerability, Resilience and Preparedness,” Disaster Prevention Management, 10, pp. 270-277, 2001.
-  G. S. Liau, “Experiences and Reflections for the Community Empowerment Center at the Chi-Chi Earthquake,” Research Report for Inter-government relationship, 7, pp. 1-7, 2009.
-  Y. J. Lee, “Globalization and Community Industry Management: A case study of Shan-An Community, Nantou County,” J. of Architecture and Planning, 3, pp. 1-14, 2002.
-  D. A. Simpson, “Community Emergency Response Training (CERTs): A Recent History and Review,” Natural Hazards Review, 2, pp. 54-63, 2001.
-  Liang-Chun Chen and Yi-Chung Liu, “Fostering Community Resilience – Taiwan’s Community-Based Strategy for Disaster Reduction,” The 7th Integrated Emergency Management Conference. Wellington, New Zealand, 26-27 February 2008.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.