Building Local-Government Service-Oriented GIS Through 2007 Chuetsu-Oki Earthquake Experience
Tsutomu Honma*1, Go Urakawa*2, Munenari Inoguchi*3,
Norihiro Tonosaki*4, and Haruo Hayashi*5
*1Planning and Policy Section, Kashiwazaki City, 5-50 Chuo-cho, Kashiwazaki city, Niigata 945-8511, Japan
*2Institute of Sustainability Science, Kyoto University, Gokasho, Uji, Kyoto 611-0011, Japan
*3Research Center for National Disaster and Recovery, Niigata University, 8050 Ikarashi Nino-cho, Nishi-ku, Niigata city, Niigata 950-2181, Japan
*4ESRI Japan Co., Ltd., 2-7-1 Hirakawa-chou Chiyoda-ku Tokyo 102-0093, Japan
*5Disaster Prevention Research Institute (DPRI), Kyoto University, Gokasho, Uji, Kyoto 611-0011, Japan
Implementing enterprise geographic information systems (EGIS) for local governments usually involves high initial and follow-up cost, e.g., for data maintenance, caused by excessively detailed base maps based on public survey specifications, even though suchmaps are not needed for most municipal operations. This study analyzes requirements for reducing costs of an implementation and maintenance of local-government EGIS (LGEGIS). The study also analyzes goals for local-government EGIS (LGEGIS). Both the analysis in this research are based on the case of the Kashiwazaki City EGIS in response to the 2007 Niigata Chuetsu-oki Earthquake.
Norihiro Tonosaki, and Haruo Hayashi, “Building Local-Government Service-Oriented GIS Through 2007 Chuetsu-Oki Earthquake Experience,” J. Disaster Res., Vol.5, No.1, pp. 98-107, 2010.
-  The Documents created by the Niigata Prefecture.
-  G. Urakawa, N. Yoshitomi, H. Hayashi, Y. Nawa, and K. Omura, “Building Emergency Field Survey Support System by Using PDA and GIS — Through GIS Support Activities at Mid-Niigata Earthquake,” Geospatial Information and Technology Association 2006.4.
-  M. Inoguchi, H. Hayashi, K. Tamura, and N. Yoshitomi, “Implementation ofManagement System for Supporting Victims’ Life Recovery Process Based on the Victim Master Database — Lessons Learned in Kashiwazaki City from 2007 Niigata Chuetsu-oki Earthquake — ,” J. of Society Safety Science, No.10, pp. 553-563, 2008.
-  N. Yoshitomi, H. Hahashi, G. Urakawa, K. Shigekawa, S. Tanaka, K. Horie, K. Matsuoka, Y. Nagoya, and K. Fujiharu, “The Development of a Damage Certificate Issuing Support System — A new disaster response database schema created for the Niigata Chuetsu Earthquake — ,” J. of Society Safety Science, No.7, pp. 141-150, 2005.
-  The ministry of internal affairs and communication: the Enterprise GIS Promotion Guidance, March 2008.
-  G. Urakawa, N. Yoshitomi, and H. Hahashi, “Generic Strategy for Protecting Safety and Society by Using GIS-Combat GIS Based on Enterprise GIS — “Kyoto Daigaku Bosai Kenkyujo nenpo,” Vol.48(C), pp. 153-160, 2005.
-  Maguire, Kouyoumjian, and Smith, “The Bussiness Benefits of GIS — an ROI approach,” ESRI PRESS.