Inexpensive Integrated GIS for Local Government to Implement Emergency Response and Management Effectively
Go Urakawa* and Haruo Hayashi**
*Institute of Sustainability Science, Kyoto University, Gokasho, Uji, Kyoto 611-0011, Japan
**Disaster Prevention Research Institute (DPRI), Kyoto University, Gokasho, Uji, Kyoto 611-0011, Japan
We are exposed to various kinds of Multi-hazards due to natural disasters, terrorist attacks and epidemic’s outbreak. In any of these crises, national and local governments must take in managing emergency responses effectively. Though one of the many measures is to build information systems against disaster, these systems are tools for estimating post disaster damage. This effort is not, however, implemented either well or effectively in most cases. Our research team had supported local governments using GIS in cases such as the 2004 Niigata-ken Chuetsu Earthquake, the 2007 Noto Hanto Earthquake, and the 2007 Niigataken Chuetsuoki Earthquake. Through these experiences, we reconfirmed the positive effects of location information and GIS. We also reconfirmed the need for both implementation speed and flexible use in their implementation. This paper describes how we built inexpensive integrated GIS for local governments to implement in emergency response andmanagement from experiences and knowledge on disaster affected area.
-  R. W. Greene, “Confronting Catastrophe,” ESRI Press, June 2002.
-  G. Amdahl, “Disaster Response GIS for Public Safety,” ESRI Press, 2001.
-  N. Yoshitomi, H. Hayashi, G. Urakawa, K. Shigekawa, S. Tanaka, K. Horie, K. Matsuoka, Y. Nagoya, and K. Fujiharu, “The Development of a Damage Certificate Issuing Support System — A New Disaster Response Database Schema Created for the Niigata Chuetsu Earthquake — ,” J. of Society Safety Science, No.7, pp. 141-150, 2005.
-  M. Inoguchi, H. Hayashi, K. Tamura, and N. Yoshitomi, “Implementation ofManagement System for Supporting Victims’ Life Recovery Process Based on the Victim Master Database — Lessons Learned in Kashiwazaki City from 2007 Niigata Chuetsu-oki Earthquake — ,” J. of Society Safety Science, No.10, pp. 553-563, 2008.
-  G. Urakawa, H. Hayashi, F. Kanehisa, K. Tamura, and H. Sakai, “Constructing Common Operational Picture of Emergency Operation Center, Niigata Prefecture at Niigata-ken Chuetsuoki Earthquake, 2007,” J. of Society Safety Science, No.10, pp. 127-134, 2008.