Promotion Planning for Application of an Earthquake Early Warning System in Taiwan
Liang-Chun Chen*1, Bing-Ru Wu*1, Kai-Wen Kuo*2, Keh-Chyuan Tsai*3, Nai-Chi Hsiao*2, Min Chen*4, and Tzu-Shiu Wu*1
*1National Science and Technology Center for Disaster Reduction, Taiwan, 9F, 200, Sec. 3, Beisin Rd., Sindian City, Taipei County, Taiwan
*2Seismological Center, Central Weather Bureau, Taiwan
*3National Center for Research on Earthquake Engineering, Taiwan
*4National Center for High-performance Computing, Taiwan
Based on dense earthquake monitoring networks, the earthquake early warning (EEW) technology has remarkable achievement in Taiwan. However, the EEW system has not been applied to buildings, infrastructures, or critical facilities, nor announced to the general public via communication channels. This study reviews EEW potential for disaster reduction and proposes a promotion framework of EEW system in Taiwan. Prototype systems should be established for public organizations using currently reliable communication channels first. Once prototype performance is verified in actual earthquakes, applications would be gradually expanded. Collaboration among the government, academy institutes, and private sectors, could set up a comprehensive EEW system and work to reduce earthquake disaster effects in practice.
-  P. Gasparini, G. Manfredi, and J. Zschau, “Earthquake early warning systems,” Springer, New York, ISBN-13 978-3-540-72240-3, 2007.
-  G. Wurman, R. M. Allen, and P. Lombard, “Toward earthquake early warning in northern California,” Journal of Geophysical Research, Vol.112, B08311, doi:10.1029/ 2006JB004830, pp. 1-19, 2007.
-  Y. Nakamura, “UrEDAS, Urgent earthquake detection and alarm system, now and future,” Proc. of the 13th World Conf. on Earthquake Engineering, Paper No.908, 2004.
-  S. Horiuchi, H. Negishi, K. Abe, A. Kamimura, and Y. Fujinawa, “An automatic processing system for broadcasting earthquake alarms,” Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, Vol.95, pp. 708-718, 2005.
-  K. Meguro and Y. Fujinawa, “Earthquake early warnings,” Tokyo Horei Publishing Co., Ltd, Tokyo, ISBN978-4-8090-3126-7, 2007 (in Japanese).
-  Y. M. Wu and T. L Teng, “A Virtual Subnetwork Approach to Earthquake Early Warning,” Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, Vol.92, No.5, pp. 2008-2018, 2002.
-  Y. M. Wu and H. Kanamori, “Experiment on an onsite early warning method for the Taiwan early warning system,” Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America Vol.95, pp. 347-353, 2005.
-  K. Meguro, Y. Fujinawa, N. Kawakami, and T. Nishino, “The social impact induced by the implementation of the earthquake early warning,” (Translated from Japanese), Proc., Symposium on application systems of the earthquake early warning, pp. 53-58, 2004.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.