Principal Component Analysis as a Tool for Materials Characterization of the Plate Boundary — Seismic Activity Application in the Plate Boundary Zone of the Northeastern Japan Arc.
Department of Complexity Science and Engineering, Graduate School of Frontier Science, University of Tokyo, 5-1-5 Kashiwa-no-ha, Kashiwa, Chiba 277-8561, Japan
We have analyzed microseismic activity in the boundary zone of the Northeastern Japan Arc by using principal component analysis for discrete units by 25 × 20 of the boundary zone with 10 km thick over the plate boundary. We found two types of reduced parameter trends in the region, concluding that the area has two types of evolutionary tracks; one of isolated activity and the other of strong correlated north-southactivity.
-  M. Ohnaka and M. Matsu’ura, “The Physics of Earthquake Generation,” University of Tokyo Press, 378, 2002.
-  J.-P. Park, T. Tsuru, N. Nakanishi, T. Hori, S. Kaneda, A. Nakanishi, S. Miura, and Y. Kaneda, “A deep strong reflector of the Nankai accretionary wedge from multichannel seismic data: Implications for underplating and interseismic shear stress release,” J.Geophys. Res., Vol.107, ESE3-1, pp. 3-16, 2002.
-  D. Zhao, Z. Wang, N. Umino, and A. Hasegawa, “Tomographic imaging outside a seismic network: application to the northeast Japan Arc.,” Bull. Seismol. Soc. Am., Vol.97, pp. 1121-1132, 2007.
-  Y. Yamanaka and M. Kikuchi, “Source process of the recurrent Tokachi-oki earthquake on September 26, 2003,” inferred from teleseismic body waves. Earth Planets Space, Vol.55, e21-24, 2003.
-  F. Hirose, A. Nakamura, and A. Hasegawa, “b-value Variation associated with the rupture of asperities-Spatial and temporal distributions of b-vale east off NE Japan,” Jisin, Vol.55, pp. 249-260, 2002.
-  J. Kasahara, A. Kamimura, G. Fujie, and R. Hino, “Influence of water on earthquake generation along subduction zones,” Bull. Earthq. Res. Inst. Univ. Tokyo, Vol.76, pp. 291-303, 2001.
-  M. Toriumi and M. Inui, “Pressure – temperature - water production rate paths in the subduction metamorphism,” Bull. Earthquake Res. Inst. Univ. Tokyo, Vol.76, pp. 367-376, 2001.
-  M. Toriumi and E. Hara, “Crack geometries and deformation by the crack-seal mechanism in the Sambagawa metamorphic belt,” Tectonophysics, Vol.245, pp. 249-261, 1995.
-  T. Tsuru, J.-P. Park, S. Miura, S. Kodaira, Y. Kido, and T. Hayashi, “Along-arc structural variation of the plate boundary at the Japan Trench margin: Implication of interplate coupling,” J. Geophys.Res., Vol.107, B12, doi:10.1029/2001JB001664, 2002.
-  A. Nakanishi, A. J. Smith, S. Miura, T. Tsuru, S. Kodaira, K. Obana, N. Takahashi, P. R. Cummins, and Y. Kaneda, “Structural factors controlling the coseismic rupture zone of 1973 Nemuro-ONI earthquake, the southern Kuril trench seismogenic zone.,” Jour. Geophys. Red., Vol.109, B05305, dpi:10,1029/2003JB002574, 2004.
-  B. K. Atkinson, “Subcritical crack growth in geological materials,” J. Geophys. Red., Vol.89, pp. 4077-4114. 1984.
-  I. T. Jollife, “Principal Component Analysis,” 530pp, Springer, 2002.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.