Great Water Temperature Changes of 1.5C per Decade in Tokyo Bay, Japan – its Causes and Consequences –
Research Institute for Applied Mechanics, Kyushu University, Kasuga, Fukuoka 816-8580, Japan
Decreasing rates of sea surface temperatures (SST) in summer and their increasing rates in winter in Tokyo Bay, Japan from 1976 to 1997 attain 1.5°C per decade – 30 times greater than the global SST increasing rate of 0.5°C per century. Such large SST changes resulted from intensified estuarine circulation in Tokyo Bay due to increased fresh water discharge due to increased water use on land and decreased tidal amplitude attributable to large-scale reclamation. Direct anthropogenic effects are much greater than the global warming effect on SST change in coastal seas.
-  H. Ando, N. Kashiwagi, K. Ninomiya, H. Ogura, and M. Yamazaki, “Long term trends of seawater temperature in Tokyo Bay,” Oceanography in Japan, 12, pp. 407-414, 2003 (in Japanese with English abstract and captions).
-  K. Aoki and A. Isobe, “Numerical study of the summer temperature decrease induced by the enhancement estuarine circulation in Fukuoka Bay,” J. Oceanogr., 62, pp. 207-217, 2006.
-  X. Guo and T. Yanagi, “Three-dimensional structure of tidal current in Tokyo Bay,” Japan. La mer, 32, pp. 173-185, 1994.
-  X. Guo, and T. Yanagi, “Variation of residual current in Tokyo Bay due to increase of fresh water discharge,” Continental Shelf Research, 18, pp. 677-694, 1998.
-  Japan Meteorological Agency, “JMA Report on Monitoring of Climate Change in 2006,” p. 88, 2007 (in Japanese).
-  H. Nomura, “Interaction between the inlet and the open ocean: a biological approach using time series record of meso- and macro zooplankton community structure in Tokyo bay as an index of water exchange,” Bulletin on Coastal Oceanography, 34, pp. 25-35, 1996 (in Japanese with English abstract and caption).
-  Y. Saito and H. Kayane, “Change of bottom sediment around Futtu Point in Tokyo Bay,” Scientific Journal of Sediment in Japan, 34, pp. 135-138, 1991 (in Japanese).
-  C. Sukigara and T. Saino, “Temporal variations of 13C and 15N in organic particles collected by a sediment trap at a time-series station off the Tokyo Bay,” Continental Shelf Research, 25, pp. 1749-1767, 2005.
-  S, Unoki and T. Konishi, “Decrease of tide and tidal current and its sequences to material transport. Oceanography in Japan,” 7, pp. 1-9, 1998 (in Japanese with English abstract and captions).
-  T. Yanagi and K. Onishi, “Change of tide, tidal current and sediment due to reclamation in Tokyo Bay,” Oceanography in Japan, 8, pp. 411-415, 1999 (in Japanese with English abstract and captions).
-  T. Yanagi and R. Abe, “Increase in water exchange ratio due to decrease in tidal amplitude in Ariake Bay,” Japan. Continental Shelf Research, 25, pp. 2174-2181, 2005.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.