Effects of Global Warming on Heavy Rainfall During the Baiu Season Projected by a Cloud-System-Resolving Model
Masaomi Nakamura*, Sachie Kaneda**, Yasutaka Wakazuki***,
Chiashi Muroi****, Akihiro Hashimoto*, Teruyuki Kato*,
Akira Noda***, Masanori Yoshizaki***,
and Kazuaki Yasunaga***
*Meteorological Research Institute, Tsukuba, Japan
**Advanced Earth Science and Technology Organization, Tokyo, Japan
***Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology, Yokosuka, Japan
****Japan Meteorological Agency, Tokyo, Japan
Under the Kyosei-4 Project, unprecedented high resolution global and regional climate models were developed on the Earth Simulator to investigate the effect of global warming on tropical cyclones, baiu frontal rainfall systems, and heavy rainfall events that could not be resolved using conventional climate models.
For the regional climate model, a nonhydrostatic model (NHM) with a horizontal resolution of 5 km was developed to be used in the simulation of heavy rainfall during the baiu season in Japan. Simulations in June and July were executed for 10 years in present and future global warming climates. It was found that, due to global warming, mean rainfall is projected to increase except in eastern and northern Japan, the frequency of heavy rainfall events would increase and its increment rate become higher for heavier rainfall, and return values for extreme rainfall would grow.
Experiments using an NHM with a horizontal resolution of 1 km were conducted to study the effects of resolution. Compared to 5 km resolution, it expresses the organization of rainfall systems causing heavy rainfall and the appearance-frequency distribution of rainfall for variable intensities more realistically.
Chiashi Muroi, Akihiro Hashimoto, Teruyuki Kato,
Akira Noda, Masanori Yoshizaki, and
and Kazuaki Yasunaga, “Effects of Global Warming on Heavy Rainfall During the Baiu Season Projected by a Cloud-System-Resolving Model,” J. Disaster Res., Vol.3, No.1, pp. 15-24, 2008.
-  IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change), “Climate Change 2001: The Scientific Basis,” Special Report on Emissions Scenarios, IPCC, 2001, 2000.
-  A. Hashimoto, M. Murakami, C. Muroi, M. Yoshizaki, Y. Wakazuki, S. Kanada, K. Yasunaga, T. Kato, K. Kurihara, and A. Noda, “Characteristics of the Averaged Vertical Profiles of Hydrometeors in the Baiu Season Simulated with a Non-hydrostatic Regional Climate Model,” SOLA, 1, pp. 141-144, 2005.
-  S. Kanada, C. Muroi, Y. Wakazuki, K. Yasunaga, A. Hashimoto, T. Kato, K. Kurihara, M. Yoshizaki, and A. Noda, “Structure of Mesoscale Convective Systems during the Late Baiu Season in the Global Warming Climate Simulated by a Non-Hydrostatic Regional Model,” SOLA, 1, pp. 117-120, 2005.
-  T. Kato, “Numerical simulation of the band-shaped torrential rain observed over southern Kyushu, Japan on 1 August 1993,” J. Meteor. Soc. Japan, 76, pp. 97-128, 1998.
-  M. Kimoto, N. Yasutomi, C. Yokoyama, S. Emori, “Projected changes in precipitation characteristics around Japan under the global warming,” SOLA, 1, pp. 85-88, 2005.
-  K. Kurihara, K. Ishihara, H. Sasaki, Y. Fukuyama, H. Saitou, I. Takayabu, K. Murazaki, Y. Sato, S. Yukimoto, and A. Noda, “Projection of climatic change over Japan due to global warming by high-resolution regional climate model in MRI,” SOLA, 1, pp. 97-100, 2005.
-  S. Kusunoki, J. Yoshimura, H. Yoshimura, A. Noda, K. Oouchi, and R. Mizuta, “Change of Baiu rain band in global warming projection by an atmospheric general circulation model with a 20-km grid size,” J. Meteor. Soc. Japan, 84, pp. 581-611, 2006.
-  R. Mizuta, K. Oouchi, H. Yoshimura, A. Noda, K. Katayama, S. Yukimoto, M. Hosaka, S. Kusunoki, H. Kawai, and M. Nakagawa, “20-km-mesh global climate simulations using JMA-GSM model -mean climate states,” J. Meteor. Soc. Japan, 84, pp. 165-185, 2006.
-  C. Muroi, M. Yoshizaki, M. O’izumi, T. Kato, H. Eito, S. Hayashi, K. Saito, K. Aonashi, Y. Shoji, H. Seko, T. Kawabata, M. Ueno, A. Murata, W. Mashiko, M. Murakami, N. Seino, K. Kurihara, H. Sasaki, I. Takayabu, H. Yoshimura, Y. Yamada, T. Fujita, J. Ishida, S. Goto, H. Nakayama, T. Hara, S. Tanaka, K. Aranami, S. Oomori, R. Nagasawa, K. Koizumi, M. Nishijima, Y. Ishikawa, Y. Honda, Y. Sato, S. Kanada, Y. Wakazuki, A. Hashimoto, K. Yasunaga, Y. Yamazaki, A. Noda, T. Aoki, and T. Matsuo, “Numerical experiment of climate change caused by global warming with the 5 km horizontal grid non-hydrostatic regional model (1) Outline,” Preprint Autumn Meeting Meteor. Soc. Japan, 86, p. 146, 2004 (in Japanese).
-  K. Ninomiya and T. Akiyama, “Multi-scale features of Baiu, the summer monsoon over Japan and the east Asia,” J. Meteor. Soc. Japan, 70, pp. 467-495, 1992.
-  I. Orlanski, “A rational subdivision of scales for atmospheric processes,” Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc., 56, pp. 527-530, 1975.
-  K. Saito, T. Kato, H. Eito, and C. Muroi, “Documentation of the Meteorological Research Institute/Numerical Prediction Division unified nonhydrostatic model,” Tech. Rep. of MRI., 42, 133 pp., 2001.
-  K. Saito, T. Fujita, Y. Yamada, J. Ishida, Y. Kumagai, K. Aranami, S. Ohmori, R. Nagasawa, S. Kumagai, C. Muroi, T. Kato, H. Eito, and Y. Yamazaki, “The operational JMA Nonhydrostatic Mesoscale Model,” Mon. Wea. Rev., 134, pp. 1266-1289, 2006.
-  Y. Wakazuki, M. Yoshizaki, K. Yasunaga, C. Muroi, S. Kanada, A. Hashimoto, T. Kato, K. Kurihara, and A. Noda, “Changes in the Characteristic Features of Disturbances Appearing in the Baiu Frontal Zone over Western Japan Due to Global Warming,” SOLA, 1, pp. 129-132, 2005.
-  Y. Wakazuki, S. Kanada, C. Muroi, A. Hashimoto, T. Kato, M. Nakamura, A. Noda M. Yoshizaki, and K. Yasunaga, “Regional Climate Projection Experiments on the Baiu Frontal Activity around the Japan Islands Using a Non-Hydrostatic Cloud-System-Resolving Model,” J. Earth Simulator, 8, pp. 13-25, 2007.
-  K. Yasunaga, H. Sasaki, Y. Wakazuki, T. Kato, C. Muroi, A. Hashimoto, S. Kanada, K. Kurihara, M. Yoshizaki, and Y. Sato, “Performance of the long-term integrations of the Japan Meteorological Agency nonhydrostatic model with use of the spectral boundary coupling method,” Weather and Forecasting, 20, pp. 1061-1072, 2005.
-  K. Yasunaga, M. Yoshizaki, Y. Wakazuki, C. Muroi, K. Kurihara, A. Hashimoto, S. Kanada, T. Kato, S. Kusunoki, K. Oouchi, H. Yoshimura, R. Mizuta, and A. Noda, “Changes in the Baiu frontal activity in the global warming climate simulated by super-high-resolution global and cloud-resolving regional climate models,” J. Meteor. Soc. Japan, 84, pp. 199-220, 2006.
-  M. Yoshizaki, C. Muroi, S. Kanada, Y. Wakazuki, K. Yasunaga, A. Hashimoto, T. Kato, K. Kurihara, A. Noda, and S. Kusunoki, “Changes of Baiu (Mei-yu) frontal activity in the global warming climate simulated by a non-hydrostatic regional model,” SOLA, 1, pp. 25-28, 2005.