Collaborative Search and Package Delivery Strategy for UAV Swarms Under Area Restrictions
Ziwei Xin, Juan Li, Jie Li, and Chang Liu
School of Mechatronical Engineering, Beijing Institute of Technology
No.5 South Street, Zhongguancun, Haidian District, Beijing 100081, China
The rapid implementation of multi-task decoupling in restricted flight areas for unmanned aerial vehicle swarms is crucial to ensure swarm effectiveness. This study introduces a task-switching mechanism in the bio-inspired rule-based (Bio-RB) decision-making algorithm and establishes a mapping relationship from behavioral rules to task modes. A complete decision model is constructed for the cooperative search and package delivery tasks. To further improve the search efficiency of swarms in restricted areas, a boundary-handling strategy based on the combination of path prediction and virtual agents is proposed. The overall scheme is termed the task-driven rule-based (Task-RB) decision-making algorithm. The proposed Task-RB method is evaluated under full-flow simulation. Numerical experiments demonstrate the superior performance of the proposed Task-RB method against the Bio-RB method under different instances.
-  Y. Tan et al., “The design and implementation of autonomous mission manager for small UAVs,” 2007 IEEE Int. Conf. on Control and Automation, pp. 177-181, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICCA.2007.4376342
-  M. L. Cummings, “Operator interaction with centralized versus decentralized UAV architectures,” K. P. Valavanis and G. J. Vachtsevanos (Eds.), “Handbook of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles,” pp. 977-992, Springer, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-90-481-9707-1_117
-  C. W. Reynolds, “Flocks, herds and schools: A distributed behavioral model,” ACM SIGGRAPH Computer Graphics, Vol.21, No.4, pp. 35-34, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1145/37402.37406
-  T. Vicsek et al., “Novel type of phase transition in a system of self-driven particles,” Physical Review Letters, Vol.75, No.6, pp. 1226-1229, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevLett.75.1226
-  D. J. G. Pearce et al., “Role of projection in the control of bird flocks,” Proc. of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol.111, No.29, pp. 10422-10426, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1402202111
-  I. C. Price, “Evolving self-organized behavior for homogeneous and heterogeneous UAV or UCAV swarms,” Master Thesis, Air Force Institute of Technology, 2006.
-  B. Yang et al., “Self-organized swarm robot for target search and trapping inspired by bacterial chemotaxis,” Robotics and Autonomous Systems, Vol.72, pp. 83-92, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.robot.2015.05.001
-  L. Lin and M. A. Goodrich, “Hierarchical heuristic search using a Gaussian mixture model for UAV coverage planning,” IEEE Trans. on Cybernetics, Vol.44, No.12, pp. 2532-2544, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCYB.2014.2309898
-  J. Li et al., “A hybrid path planning method in unmanned air/ground vehicle (UAV/UGV) cooperative systems,” IEEE Trans. on Vehicular Technology, Vol.65, No.12, pp. 9585-9596, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TVT.2016.2623666
-  T. Maddula, A. A. Minai, and M. M. Polycarpou, “Multi-target assignment and path planning for groups of UAVs,” S. Butenko, R. Murphey, and P. M. Pardalos (Eds.), “Recent Developments in Cooperative Control and Optimization,” pp. 261-272, Springer, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4613-0219-3_15
-  Y. V. Pehlivanoglu, “A new vibrational genetic algorithm enhanced with a Voronoi diagram for path planning of autonomous UAV,” Aerospace Science and Technology, Vol.16, No.1, pp. 47-55, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ast.2011.02.006
-  M. Fakoor, A. Kosari, and M. Jafarzadeh, “Revision on fuzzy artificial potential field for humanoid robot path planning in unknown environment,” Int. J. of Advanced Mechatronic Systems, Vol.6, No.4, pp. 174-183, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1504/IJAMECHS.2015.072707
-  C. Virágh et al., “Flocking algorithm for autonomous flying robots,” Bioinspiration & Biomimetics, Vol.9, No.2, Article No.025012, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1088/1748-3182/9/2/025012
-  J. N. Kaiser, “Effects of dynamically weighting autonomous rules in a UAS flocking model,” Master Thesis, Air Force Institute of Technology, 2014.
-  G. Vásárhelyi et al., “Optimized flocking of autonomous drones in confined environments,” Science Robotics, Vol.3, No.20, Article No.eaat3536, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1126/scirobotics.aat3536
-  F. Fernández et al., “Expert guidance system for unmanned aerial vehicles based on artifical neural networks,” J. of Maritime Research, Vol.8, No.1, pp. 49-64, 2011.
-  D. V. Dimarogonas, E. Frazzoli, and K. H. Johansson, “Distributed Event-Triggered Control for Multi-Agent Systems,” IEEE Trans. on Automatic Control, Vol.57, No.5, pp. 1291-1297, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAC.2011.2174666
-  J. Zhang et al., “Adaptive event-triggered communication scheme for networked control systems with randomly occurring nonlinearities and uncertainties,” Neurocomputing, Vol.174, Part A, pp. 475-482, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neucom.2015.04.107
-  Z. Xin et al., “Task-driven rule-based algorithm with mode-switching for UAV swarms in bounded areas,” The 16th Int. Symp. on Computational Intelligence and Industrial Applications (ISCIIA 2022), Paper ID C4-3, 2022.
-  D. J. Nowak, “Exploitation of self organization in UAV swarms for optimization in combat environments,” Master’s Thesis, Air Force Institute of Technology, 2008.
-  E. Bonabeau, M. Dorigo, and G. Theraulaz, “Swarm Intelligence: From Natural to Artificial Systems (Santa Fe Institute Studies on the Sciences of Complexity),” Oxford University Press, 1999.
-  Z.-Q. Wang et al., “A design of simulation environment for small fixed-wing aircraft,” J. of Physics: Conf. Series, Vol.1584, Article No.012066, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1016/10.1088/1742-6596/1584/1/012066
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.