Building a Fuzzy System for Pulse Based Disease Diagnosis and Acupuncture Therapy
Hoang Phuong Nguyen*, and Truong Thi Hong Thuy**
*Division Informatics, Math-Informatics Faculty, Thanglong University
Nghiem Xuan Yem Road Hoang Mai District, Hanoi, Vietnam
**Thai Nguyen University of Medicine and Pharmacy
Thai Nguyen Province, Vietnam
Pulse-based disease diagnosis and acupuncture therapy are the key components of traditional Oriental medicine. This study aims to model the thinking of medical doctors with regard to their use of pulse-based diagnosis and acupuncture therapy. This paper focuses on a fuzzy inference and knowledge base, which are the main components of the system for pulse based disease diagnosis and acupuncture therapy. The input of the system is the pulse symptoms of the patient with fuzzy degrees, whereas the output is the disease diagnosis and acupuncture therapy prescription. In this system, the knowledge base consists of nearly 1,200 rules for diagnosis and treatment. An evaluation of a group of traditional medical doctors indicates that the results of the newly proposed system are in good accordance with those of doctors practicing traditional medicine. This approach leads to better results than previous approaches because it uses fuzzy logic, which is an appropriate tool here because most entities in traditional medicine are fuzzy in nature. The system of pulse-based disease diagnosis and acupuncture therapy can mimic the thinking of traditional practitioners, and it can be a “good teacher” for medical students who want to learn traditional Vietnamese medicine.
-  N. T. Thu, “Applying theory of Oriental medicine in therapy research by acupuncture,” Vietnam Institute of Acupuncture, 1990 (in Vietnamese).
-  T. Thuy, P. H. Nhac, and H. B. Chau, “Lectures on traditional medicine, Hanoi Medical University,” Medical Publisher, 2005 (in Vietnamese).
-  O. Bing and G. Zhen, “Essentials of Traditional Chinese Medicine,” Shandong Science and Technology Press, 1996.
-  S. Dharmananda, “The significance of traditional pulse diagnosis in the modern practice of Chinese medicine,” Institute for Traditional Medicine, 2000, www.itmonline.org/arts/pulse.htm [accessed September 6, 2020]
-  T. Thuy, “Basic Acupuncture: The Essentials of Acupuncture,” People Army Publisher, 1992.
-  T. V. Ky, “Handbook of Diagnosis and Treatment: Internal Traditional Medicine,” DaNang Publisher, 2015 (in Vietnamese).
-  H. C. Lu, “Chinese Natural Cures: traditional methods for remedies and preventions,” Black Dog & Leventhal Publishers, Inc., 1986.
-  J. J. Shu and Y. Sun, “Developing classification indices for Chinese pulse diagnosis,” Complementary Therapies in Medicine, Vol.15, No.3, pp. 190-198, 2007.
-  L. A. Zadeh, “Fuzzy Set,” Information and Control, Vol.8, No.3, pp. 338-353, 1965.
-  K. P. Adlassnig, “CADIAG-2: Computer – Assisted Medical Diagnosis Using Fuzzy Subsets,” M. M. Gupta and E. Sanchez (Eds.), “Approximate Reasoning in Decision Analysis,” pp. 219-247, North-Holland Publishing Company, 1982.
-  N. H. Phuong, A. Nguyen, and T. T. H. Thuy, “A fuzzy model of Diagnosis and Treatment by Acupuncture based on pulse symbols by Triple Cun-Quan-Chi of Traditional Oriental Medicine,” Proc. of 2018 IEEE Int. Conf. on Fuzzy Systems (FUZZ-IEEE), pp. 647-654, 2018.
-  H. P. Nguyen, H. H. Dang, V. C. Nguyen, D. D. Bui, T. T. Pham, P. H. Nguyen, and N. L. Nguyen, “An Expert system for Pulmonary Tuberculosis Diagnosis,” Int. J. of Uncertainty, Fuzziness and Knowledge-Based Systems, Vol.7, No.4, pp. 371-382, 1999.
-  N. H. Phuong and V. Kreinovich, “Fuzzy Logic and its Applications in Medicine,” Int. J. of Medical Informatics, Vol.62, Nos.2-3, pp. 165-173, 2001.
-  N. H. Phuong, “Design of a fuzzy system for diagnosis and treatment of Integrated Western and Eastern Medicine,” Int. J. of General Systems, Vol.30, No.2, pp. 219-239, 2001.
-  N. H. Phuong, S. A. Starks, and V. Kreinovivh, “Towards foundations for Traditional Oriental Medicine,” Proc. of Vietnam-Japan Bilateral Symp. on Fuzzy Systems and Applications (VJFUZZY’98), pp. 704-708, 1998.
-  L. A. Zadeh, “The role of fuzzy logic in the management of uncertainty in expert systems,” Fuzzy Sets System, Vol.11, No.1-3, pp. 199-227, 1983.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.