A Study of the Impact of Innovation on Industrial Upgrading in China: A Spatial Econometric Analysis Based on China’s Provincial Panel Data
Jiao Jiang* and Xindong Zhao**,
*School of Economics and Finance, Huaqiao University
No.269 Chenghua North Road, Fengze District, Quanzhou, Fujian 362021, China
**Institute of Quantitative Economics, Huaqiao University
No.668 Jimei Avenue, Jimei District, Xiamen, Fujian 361021, China
This study provides an in-depth analysis of the impact of innovation on industrial upgrading from theoretical and practical perspectives. In terms of theory, based on the endogenous growth theory model, a multi-sectoral growth model is constructed to portray the inherent logical connection between innovation and industrial structure upgrading. The results show that innovation has an important impact on industrial structure upgrading. Industrial structure upgrading depends on differences in innovation level among industries and the substitution relationship of finished products in the industry. From an empirical perspective, based on the panel data of 31 provinces in China from 2005 to 2017, the spatial effect of innovation on industrial upgrading was analyzed using the spatial Durbin model. The results show that innovation and industrial structure upgrading has significant spatial correlation effects, and regional innovation can drive China’s industrial upgrading. Meanwhile, the space spillover effect is an important factor that cannot be ignored in industrial upgrading.
-  K. Pavitt, “Sectoral patterns of technical change: Towards a taxonomy and a theory,” Research policy, Vol.13, Issue 6, pp. 343-373, 1984.
-  C. Antonelli, “The Economics of Innovation, New Technologies and Structural Change,” Routledge, 2003.
-  G. Gereffi, “International trade and industrial upgrading in the apparel commodity chain,” J. of Int. Economics, Vol.48, Issue 1, pp. 37-70, 1999.
-  A. Azadegan and S. M. Wagner, “Industrial upgrading, exploitative innovations and explorative innovations,” Int. J. of Production Economics, Vol.130, Issue 1, pp. 54-65, 2011.
-  L. R. Ngai and C. A. Pissarides, “Structural Change in a Multisector Model of Growth,” American Economic Review, Vol.97, No.1, pp. 429-443, 2007.
-  Y. Hong, “Mechanism of industrial innovation and transformation of industrial structure,” Economic Theory and Business Management, Vol.34, No.11, pp. 5-14, 2015 (in Chinese).
-  Y. Zhang and B. Huang, “Research on the path of innovation-driven industrial structure upgrading,” Exploration of Economic Problems, No.3, pp. 107-112, 2015 (in Chinese).
-  Y. Gong, Z. Wang, and G. Gu, “Technology innovation and industry structure optimization: A study of agent-based simulation,” Science Research Management, Vol.36, No.8, pp. 44-51, 2015 (in Chinese).
-  Y. Ding, Y. Fu, and Y. Cao, “Financial Constraint, Technological Innovation and Stepping Over the Middle Income Trap – An Industrial Structure Upgrading Perspective,” Industrial Economics Research, Vol.2014, No.3, pp. 101-110, 2014 (in Chinese).
-  C. Tao and W. Zhou, “A Study of Nonlinear Association and Spillover Effect of Technology Innovation and Industrial Structure Upgrading under Element Agglomeration,” Contemporary Finance & Economics, Vol.2016, No.1, pp. 83-94, 2016 (in Chinese).
-  C. Tao and Y. Peng, “Spatial effects of technological innovation intensity on the upgrading of industrial structure under economic agglomeration,” Industrial Economics Research, Vol.2017, No.3, pp. 91-103, 2017 (in Chinese).
-  H. Fu, Y. Mao, and L. Song, “Empirical Analysis on the Effect of Innovation on Advancement of Industrial Structure Process – Based on Panel Datas of Provinces from 2000 to 2011,” China Industrial Economics, Vol.2013, No.9, pp. 56-68, 2013 (in Chinese).
-  P. Howitt and P. Aghion, “A Model of Growth Through Creative Destruction,” Econometrica, Vol.60, Issue 2, pp. 323-351, 1992.
-  J. Han and E. Jiu, “The Mechanism Research of Innovation, Industrial Structure Adjustment and Economic Growth in China,” Economic Theory and Business Management, Vol.2018, No.6, pp. 51-63, 2018 (in Chinese).