Research on the Relationship Between EM and NVP – Exploring the Moderating Role of EU
Lidong Zhu* and Hui Zhang**,
*School of Economics and Management, Anhui Normal University
189 Huajin South Road, Wuhu, Anhui 241002, China
**College of Business, Shanghai University of Finance and Economics
318 Wuchuan Road, WuJiaoChang, Yangpu Qu, Shanghai 200433, China
This paper explores the role of entrepreneurial marketing (EM) and environmental uncertainty (EU) in driving new ventures’ performance (NVP). Using data from a survey of 883 small ventures based in Anhui province, China, we find that EM is an important drive of NVP. Only 4 EM dimensions (customer value creation, pro-activeness, innovations, and opportunity-focus) have positive effects on growth performance (GP), and only 5 EM dimensions (customer value creation, pro-activeness, innovations, opportunity-focus, and resource leveraging) have positive effects on profit performance (PP) as well. On the other hand, we found that environmental uncertainty (EU) has a partly moderating role between EM and GP, EU only negatively moderates the relationship between pro-activeness and GP, and EU positively moderates the relationship between opportunity-focus, risk-taking and GP. In addition, EU does not have a moderating role between EM and PP.
-  L. Song, D. Augustine, and J. Y. Yang, “Environmental uncertainty, prospector strategy, and new venture performance: the moderating role of network capabilities,” Int. Entrepreneurship & Management J., Vol.12, No.4, pp. 1103-1126, 2016.
-  D. Lonita, “Entrepreneurial Marketing: A new approach for challenging times,” Management & Marketing, Vol.7, No.1, pp. 131-150, 2012.
-  S. C. Morrish, M. P. Miles, and J. H. Deacon, “Entrepreneurial marketing: acknowledging the entrepreneur and customer-centric interrelationship,” J. of Strategic Marketing, Vol.18, No.4, pp. 303-316, 2010.
-  D. Carson and A. Gilmore, “SME marketing management competencies,” Int. Business Review, No.9, pp. 363-382, 2000.
-  R. Jones, M. Suoranta, and J. Rowley, “Entrepreneurial marketing: a comparative study,” Service Industries J., Vol.33, No.7-8, pp. 705-719, 2013.
-  M. H. Morris, M. Schindehutte, and R. W. LaForge, “Entrepreneurial marketing: a construct for integrating emerging entrepreneurship and marketing perspectives,” J. of Marketing Theory and Practice, Vol.10, No.4, pp. 1-19, 2002.
-  S. Morrish and J. Deacon, “Entrepreneurial marketing: A comparative case study of 42 below Vodka and penderyn Whisky,” ICSB Word Conf., Seoul, South Korea, 2009.
-  R. Jones and J. Rowley, “Networks and Customer Relationships in a Small Software Technology Firm: A Case Study,” J. of Small Business & Entrepreneurship, Vol.24, No.1, pp. 29-48, 2011.
-  G. S. Mort, “Advancing entrepreneurial marketing: Evidence from born global firms,” European J. of Marketing, No.3, pp. 542-561, 2012.
-  J. G. Covin and D. P. Slevin, “The Entrepreneurial Imperatives of Strategic Leadership,” in Strategic Entrepreneurship: Creating a New Mindset, M. A. Hitt, R. D. Ireland, S. M. Camp, and D. L. Sexton (Eds.), Blackwell Publishers Ltd., pp. 309-327, 2002.
-  M. Franco et al., “An exploratory study of entrepreneurial marketing in SMEs,” J. of Small Business and Enterprise Development, No.2, pp. 265-283, 2014.
-  B. Jaworski, K. Kohli, and A. Sahay, “Market driven versus driving markets,” Academy of Marketing Science, Vol.28, No.1, pp. 45-52, 2000.
-  R. C. Becherer, M. M. Helms, and J. P. Mcdonald, “The Effect of Entrepreneurial Marketing on Outcome Goals in SMEs,” New England J. of Entrepreneurship, Vol.15, No.1, pp. 6-18, 2012.
-  G. Hamel et al., “Strategic Flexibility: Managing in a Turbulent Environment,” Wiley, 1998.
-  D. T. Smart and J. S. Conant, “Entrepreneurial Orientation, Distinctive Marketing Competencies And Organizational Performance,” J. of Applied Business Research, Vol.10, No.3, pp. 28-38, 2011.
-  G. T. Lumpkin and G. G. Dess, “Clarifying the Entrepreneurial Orientation Construct and Linking it to Performance,” Academy of Management Review, Vol.21, No.1, pp. 135-172, 1996.
-  L. Xueling, Y. Yiwei, and W. Lijun, “Research on the Relationship between New Venture Entrepreneurial Orientation and Innovative Performance: Proactive Market Orientation as a Mediator,” China Industrial Economics, No.6, pp. 116-125, 2010.
-  M. H. M. Osman, A. Roudini, and A. Heidarzadagan, “Technological Knowledge, Innovation and Risk taking Capability and International New Venture’s Performance,” Jurnal Teknologi, Vol.64, No.3, pp. 81-85, 2013.
-  T. L. Galloway et al., “Exploring the innovation strategies of young firms: Corporate venture capital and venture capital impact on alliance innovation strategy,” J. of Business Research, No.71, pp. 55-65, 2017.
-  D. Miller and P. H. Friesen, “Strategy making and environment: The third link,” Strategic Management J., Vol.4, No.3, pp. 221-235, 1983.
-  J. Frishammar and S. A. Hörte, “The Role of Market Orientation and Entrepreneurial Orientation for New Product Development Performance in Manufacturing Firms,” Technology Analysis & Strategic Management, Vol.19, No.6, pp. 765-788, 2007.
-  A. K. Kohli and B. J. Jaworski, “Market orientation: the construct, research propositions, and managerial implications,” J. of Marketing, Vol.54, No.2, pp. 1-18, 1990.
-  R. Deshpandé, J. U. Farley, and F. E. Webster, “Triad lessons: Generalizing results on high performance firms in five business to business markets,” Int. J. of Research in Marketing, Vol.17, No.4, pp. 353, 2000.
-  C. Li and Y. Miao, “Influence of new enterprise learning ability, resources integration on Enterprise Performance Research of,” Management World, No.10, pp. 129-132, 2009.
-  H. Ma, B. Dong, and B. Ge, “Study on the relationship between the process of resource integration, capability and enterprise performance,” Jilin University J. Social Sciences Edition, No.4, pp. 71-78, 2011.
-  W. Pei and Z. Fu, “Study on the Relationships among Alliance Network, Resource Combination and New Technology Venture Performance,” J. of Management Science, Vol.28, No.3, pp. 26-37, 2015.
-  J. K. Han and R. K. Srivastava, “Market orientation and organizational performance: is innovation a missing link?,” J. of Marketing, Vol.62, No.4, pp. 30-45, 2015.
-  J. R. Baum and S. Wally, “Strategic decision speed and firm performance,” Strategic Management J., Vol.24, No.11, pp. 1107-1129, 2003.
-  Z. Tang and J. Tang, “The Impact of Competitors–Firm Power Divergence on Chinese SMES’ Environmental and Financial Performance,” J. of Business Ethics, Vol.136, No.1, pp. 147-165, 2016.
-  S. Yu, “The Effect of Entrepreneurial Resource on Entrepreneurial Performance: Based on Moderating Mechanism of Environmental Dynamism,” Science of science & management of S&T, Vol.34, No.6, pp. 131-139, 2013.
-  C. Yi, “The relationship among network embeddedness, entrepreneurial orientation, and new firm performance,” Science Research Management, Vol.33, No.11, pp. 105-115, 2012.
-  B. Zheng, Z. Li, and Y. Zhu, “The Research on the Entrepreneurial Framework Based on the Environmental Angle,” Technoeconomics & Management Research, No.6, pp. 34-36, 2009.
-  L. Lee et al., “Entrepreneurial intentions: The influence of organizational and individual factors,” J. of Business Venturing, Vol.26, No.1, pp. 124-136, 2009.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.