Interactive Logo-Design System with an Impression-Factors Space
Takehisa Onisawa* and Aritomo Yahata**
*Faculty of Engineering, Information and Systems, University of Tsukuba
1-1-1 Tennodai, Tsukuba, Japan
**Graduate School of Systems and Information Engineering, University of Tsukuba
1-1-1 Tennodai, Tsukuba, Japan
This paper proposes an interactive logo-design system considering the user’s impression for the target logo. A user inputs an adjective into the system to reflect his/her impression for the designed logotype/logo. The system analyzes the adjective using adjective co-occurrence and obtains its impression value on the impression-factors space. The system then generates initial logotype design candidates, based on the impression value, and presents them to a user, and then the user evaluates them. If the user is not satisfied with the presented design candidates, the system modifies them based on the user’s evaluation and presents new logotype design candidates. The interactive design procedures are repeated until the user is satisfied with the logotype design. If necessary, the user can also modify the logotype design by replacing some part of it with an image. This process makes the logotype/logo design more impressive and satisfactory for the user. Through experimentation, it is confirmed that the proposed system works well and that the presented modification procedures generate logotypes/logos that well reflect the user’s impression.
-  Y. Okata and T. Yamashita, “An exploratory study of a corporate logo image,” Proc. of Tokai University Fukuoka Junior College, No.9, 2007.
-  K. Kanashiro, M. Shirakura, K. Suzuki, S. Takakuwa, and K. Yamashita, “Design of identity, design and rule of CI, Logo and Mark,” Sannichi Insatsu Inc., 2009.
-  Obscureinc, “Idea of Logo Design! – Learning Design Rule and Technique of Professional Designer by Examples!!,” Kosaido, 2010.
-  C. W. Park, A. B. Eisingeruch, G. Pol, and J. W. Park, “The role of brand logos in firm performance,” J. of Business Research, Vol.66, pp. 180-187, 2013.
-  P. Yacomuzzi, “Logo Construction, How to design and build a logo,” Harper Design, 2012.
-  V. Ad^ir, G. Ad^ir, and N. E. Pascu, “How to design a logo,” Social and Behavioral Sciences, Vol.122, pp. 140-144, 2014.
-  Payware to help create logo, http://crowdworks.jp/public/jobs/category/26/articles/2083 [Accessed January 18, 2016].
-  Logo generator can be created for free & software 21 edition, http://kobotake.com/logomark [Accessed January 18, 2016].
-  K. Yoshida, Y. Nakagawa, and M. Koppen, “Interactive genetic algorithm for font generation system,” Proc. of World Automation Congress(WAC) 2010, IFMIP538, pp. 1-6, 2010.
-  M. Fukumoto, S. Nakashima, S. Ogawa, and J. Imai, “An extended interactive evolutionary computation using heart rate variability as fitness value for composing music chord progression,” J. Adv. Comp. Intell. Intell. Inform (JACIII), Vol.15, No.9, pp. 1329-1336, 2011.
-  F. Cluzel, B. Yannou, and M. Dihlmann, “Using evolutionary design to interactively sketch car silhouettes and stimulate designer’s creativity,” Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligences, Vol.25, pp. 1413-1424, 2012.
-  H. Takenouchi, M. Tokumaru, and N. Muranaka, “Tournament evaluation system applying win-lose result presumption considering kansei evaluation by multiple people,” J. Adv. Comp. Intell. Intell. Inform (JACIII), Vol.16, No.3, pp. 453-461, 2012.
-  S. Hsiao, C. Hsu, and K. Tang, “A consultation and simulation system for product color planning based in interactive genetic algorithms,” Color Research & Application, DOI:10.1002/Col.21730, 2012.
-  M. Unehara and T. Onisawa, “Interactive music composition system – Composition of 16-bars musical work with a melody part and backing part –, Proc. of 2004 IEEE Int. Con. on Systems, Man & Cybernetics, pp. 5736-5741, 2004.
-  M. Unehara and T. Onisawa, “Music composition by interaction between human and computer,” New Generation Computing, Vol.23, No.2, Ohmsha, Ltd. and Springer, pp. 181-191, 2005.
-  D. Y. Lu and T. Onisawa, “Interpretable fuzzy rules acquisition of coupled system using interactive genetic algorithms,” J. Adv. Comp. Intell. Intell. Inform (JACIII), Vol.11, No.5, pp. 522-532, 2007.
-  Y. Ogata and T. Onisawa, “Interactive clothes design support system,” LNCS 4985, Revised Selected Papers (the 14th Int. Conf. on Neural Information Processing, WMC-2, 2007), Springer, pp. 657-665, 2008.
-  J. Saikawa and T. Onisawa, “Logotype design support system based on sketches,” Proc. of 14th Int. Symp. on Advanced Intelligent Systems, p. 16, 2013.
-  T. Onisawa, “Kansei information processing in multimedia applying intelligent soft computing techniques,” J. of Advanced Computational Intelligence, Vol.4, No.6, pp. 428-436, 2000.
-  K. Hagiyama and T. Onisawa, “Study on logotype design based on target impression,” Proc. of Joint 7th Int. Conf. on Soft Computing and Intelligent Systems and 15th Int. Symp. on Advanced Intelligent Systems, pp. 1459-1464, 2014.
-  H. Kohtani, “Enjoyable logo design – Idea and evolution from letter shape,” Kosaido, 2012.
-  T. Miyabayashi, N. Hara, S. Iiba, and M. Sakamoto, “Measuring the similarity between texts and fonts via colors,” Information Processing Society of Japan SIG Technical Report, Vol.2011-EC-19, No.15, p. 6, 2011.
-  M. Ikeda, “Image analysis of text fonts using SD method: Concentrated on gill sans, futura, frutiger, caslon, didot, and palationo fonts,” Bulletin of Japanese Society for the Science of Design, Vol.54, No.5, pp. 11-18, 2008.
-  T. Miyajima, H. Kikuchi, A. Kurematsu, and K. Shirai, “Analysis on relationship between voice and characters using impression space,” The Japanese Society for Artificial Intelligence SLUD, Vol.53, pp. 7-14, 2008.
-  N. Shingaki and Y. Tsuzuki, “Through what congnitive dimensions do people perceive other’s handwriting?” Seijo University, Social Innovation Studies, Vol.4, No.2, pp. 27-43, 2009.
-  K. Shimizu and M. Hagiwara, “Image estimation of words based on adjective co-occurrence,” The IEICE Trans. on Information and Systems D, Vol.J89-D, No.11, pp. 2483-2490, 2006.
-  J. Madar, J. Abonyi, and F. Szeifert, “Interactive particle swarm optimization,” Proc. of 5th Int. Conf. on Intelligent Systems Design and Applications, pp. 314-319, 2005.
-  M. Suzuki and T. Onisawa, “Musical expression generation reflecting user’s impression by interaction,” J. of Japan Society for Fuzzy Theory and Intelligent Informatics, Vol.27, No.4, pp. 651-668, 2015.
-  H. Yoshioka, H. Matsushita, and Y. Takahashi, “ A study on designing of MDOF variation control system using PSO with mutation rule,” Proc. of the Japan Joint Automatic Control Conf., pp. 672-675, 2008.
-  R. C. Eberhart and J. kennedy, “A new optimizer using particle swarm theory,” Proc. of the 6th Int. Symp. on Micromachine and Human Science, pp. 29-43, 1995.
-  Comparison of Shapes – Similarity Measure of Shape, http://katsu.watanabe.name/doc/katachi/ [Accessed January 18, 2016].
-  SILHOUETTE AC, http:// www.silhouette-ac.com/category.html [Accessed January 17, 2016].
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.