Evaluation of Swallowing Sound Using a Throat Microphone with an AE Sensor in Patients Wearing Palatal Augmentation Prosthesis
Ayuko Kamiyanagi*, Yuka Sumita*,†, Manabu Chikai**, Kenta Kimura**, Yoshikazu Seki**, Shuichi Ino**, and Hisashi Taniguchi*
*Department of Maxillofacial Prosthetics, Graduate School, Tokyo Medical and Dental University (TMDU)
1-5-45 Yushima, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo, Japan
**Human Informatics Research Institute, National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST)
1-1-1 Higashi, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan
-  T. Kubo, M. Naito, K. Yunokuchi, G. Wang, and T. Kimura, “Wavelet analysis of swallowing and expiratory sounds – application of cervical auscultation –,” JJDR, Vol.8, No.1, pp. 64-68, Jun. 2004.
-  K. Hammoudi, M. Boiron, N. Hernandez, C. Bobillier, and S. Morinière, “Acoustic Study of Pharyngeal Swallowing as a Function of the Volume and Consistency of the Bolus,” Dysphagia, Vol.29, No.4, pp. 468-474, 2014.
-  J. M. Dudik, I. Jestrović, B. Luan, J. L. Coyle, and E. Sejdić, “A comparative analysis of swallowing accelerometry and sounds during saliva swallows,” Biomed Eng Online, Vol.14, 2015.
-  M. Yamashita, K. Yokoyama, Y. Takei, N. Furuya, Y. Nakamichi, Y. Ihara, et al., “Acoustic characteristics of voluntary expiratory sounds after swallow for detecting dysphagia,” J. of Oral Rehabilitation, Vol.41, No.9, pp. 667-674, 2014.
-  K. Takahashi, M. E. Groher, and K. Michi, “Methodology for detecting swallowing sounds,” Dysphagia, Vol.9, No.1, 1994.
-  K. Takahashi, M. E. Groher, and K. Michi, “Symmetry and reproducibility of swallowing sounds,” Dysphagia, Vol.9, No.3, pp. 168-173, 1994.
-  S. Youmans and J. Stierwalt, “An acoustic profile of normal swallowing,” Dysphagia, Vol.20,No.3, pp. 195-209, 2005.
-  S. Youmans and J. Stierwalt, “Normal swallowing acoustics across age, gender, bolus viscosity, and bolus volume,” Dysphagia, Vol.26, No.4, pp. 374-384, 2011.
-  K. T. Robbins, J. B. Bowman, and R. F. Jacob, “Postglossectomy deglutitory and articulatory rehabilitation with palatal augmentation prosthesis,” Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, Vol.113, No.11, pp. 1214-1218, 1987.
-  H. Okayama, F. Tamura, T. Kikutani, H. Kayanaka, H. Katagiri, and K. Nishiwaki, “Effects of a palatal augmentation prosthesis on lingual function in postoperative patients with oral cancer: Coronal section analysis by ultrasonography,” Odontology, Vol.96, No.1, pp. 26-31, 2008.
-  K. Ueda, Y. Mukai, M. Morita, T. Kikutani, Y. Watanabe, H. Tohara, et al., “The Effectiveness of Palatal Augmentation Prosthesis for Dysphagia,” JJDR, Vol.16, No.1, pp. 32-41, Apr. 2012
-  S. Shibano, M. Yamawaki, A. Nakane, and H. Uematsu, “Palatal augmentation prosthesis (PAP) influences both the pharyngeal and oral phases of swallowing,” Deglutition, Vol.1, No.1, pp. 204-211, 2012.
-  J. Nakajima, T. Karaho, T. Ando, and Y. Sato, “Manofluorography of Swallowing in Glossectomy Patients with the PAP,” JJDR, Vol.9, No.2, pp. 206-212, 2005.
-  M. Ohtsu, “History And Developments Of Acoustic Emission In Concrete Engineering,” J. of JSCE, Vol.1994, No.496, pp. 9-19,1994.
-  T. Tasaki and M. Goto, “Some Uses Of Probability Plotting Data Analysis,” The Behaviormetric Society of Japan, Vol.12, No.2, pp. 29-34, 1984.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.