Analysis of Control Method for Magnetic Bearing Systems
Gang Huang*1, Xiaolin Yang*2, Jinhua She*3, Weihua Cao*4, and Changfan Zhang*1,†
*1College of Traffic Engineering, Hunan University of Technology
Zhuzhou 412007, China
*2Beijing BeTech Co., Ltd.
Beijing 100089, China
*3School of Computer Science, Tokyo University of Technology
Tokyo 192-0982, Japan
*4School of Automation, China University of Geosciences
Wuhan 430074, China
Magnetic bearing systems have attracted extensive attention in the fields of high speed, spotless area, vacuum space, etc. System performance depends largely on the control link, and it has become a research focus to improve controller performance to ensure high precision stable suspension and high anti-interference capability. This paper considers optimized, sliding mode, robust, fuzzy, and neural network control systems and assesses their research status and limitations for magnetic bearing systems. Algorithms for proposed vibration and high speed flexible rotor controls are illustrated. Finally, development trends for control technology of magnetic bearing systems are discussed.
-  M. Dussaux, “The Industrial Applications of the Active Magnetic Bearing Technology,” Proc. of the 2nd Int. Symp. on Magnetic Bearing, pp. 33-38, 1990.
-  H. Q. Zhu and J. T. Ju, “Development of Three-pole Magnetic Bearings and Key Technologies,” Proc.s of the CSEE, Vol.34, No.9, pp. 1360-1367, 2014.
-  W. Y. Zhang, H. Q. Zhu, and Y. Yuan, “Study on Key Technologies and Applications of Magnetic Bearings,” Trans. of China Electrotechnical Society, Vol.30, No.12, pp. 12-20, 2015.
-  Y. Y. Li, H. Q. Zhu, L. D. Zhu, and X. J. Wu, “Development and Research Status of Key Technologies on Magnetic Bearings,” Micromotors, Vol.47, No.6, pp. 69-74, 2014.
-  J. Y. Shi, G. Q. Wu, J. F. Mao, and X. D. Zhang, “Research of Magnetic Bearing System Control Method,” Machinery Design and Manufacture, Vol.12, pp. 265-268, 2015.
-  S. M. Yang, G. J. Sheu, and C. D. Yang, “Vibration Control of Rotor Systems With Noncollocated Sensor/Actuator by Experimental Design,” J. of Vibration and Acoustics, Vol.119, No.3, pp. 420-427, 1997.
-  C. S. Wei and D. Soffker, “Optimization Strategy for PID-Controller Design of AMB Rotor Systems,” IEEE Trans. on Control Systems Technology, Vol.24, No.3, pp. 788-803, 2016.
-  C. Z. Liu, “Design and Research on Control Strategies of Hybrid Magnetic Bearings System in High Speed Motor,” Nanjing: Nanjing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics, 2015.
-  C. Z. Wang and H. S. Qin, “Optimal Control Theory,” Beijing: Science Press, 2003.
-  H. Q. Zhu and Y. K. Sun, “Application and Study of Optimal Control Theory in Control System of Active Magnetic Bearings,” Control Theory and Applications, Vol.19, No.3, pp. 479-483, 2002.
-  G. Barbaraci, A. H. Pesch, and J. T. Sawicki, “Experimental Investigations of Minimum Power Consumption Optimal Control for Variable Speed AMB Rotor,” ASME 2010 Int. Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, pp. 1047-1056, 2010.
-  K. Y. Zhu, Y. Xiao, and A. U. Rajendra, “Optimal Control of the Magnetic Bearings for A Flywheel Energy Storage System,” Mechatronics, Vol.19, No.8, pp. 1221-1235, 2009.
-  R. Jastrzeski and R. Pöllänen, “Centralized Optimal Position Control for Active Magnetic Bearings: Comparison with Decentralized Control,” Electrical Engineering, Vol.9, No.12, pp. 101-114, 2009.
-  G. Barbaraci and G. V. Mariotti, “Sub-Optimal Control Law for Active Magnetic Bearings Suspension,” J. of Control Engineering and Technology, Vol.2, No.1, pp. 1-10, 2012.
-  Y. Chen, X. Wu, Y. H. Wang, J. Lu, and H. Q. Zhu, “Control System of AC Hybrid Magnetic Bearings Based on Linear Quadratic Method of Control Theory Strategy,” Proc. of the 27th Chinese Control Conf., pp. 474-478, 2008.
-  C. F. Zhang, “Research on Intelligent Control Theory and Applications of Sliding Mode Variable Structure,” Changsha: Hunan University, 2001.
-  C. Edwards, E. F. Colet, and L. Fridman, “Advances in Variable Structure and Sliding Mode Control,” Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2006.
-  G. Liu and C. F. Li, “Research on Sliding Mode Variable Structure Control based on Flywheel Rotor of Active Magnetic Bearing,” Fire Control and Command Control, Vol.34, No.3, pp. 8-11, 2009.
-  G. Liu and C. F. Li, “Fast Terminal Sliding Mode Control of Magnetic Suspend Flywheel Rotor System,” Aerospace Control, Vol.26, No.3, pp. 92-96, 2008.
-  S. Xu, J. C. Fang, and S. Q. Zheng, “Research on Integral Sliding Mode Control with Exponential Approximation Law for Magnetically Suspended Rotor System of CMG,” J. of Astronautics, Vol.35, No.4, pp. 439-446, 2014.
-  Y. Y. Shen, J. S. Zhang, Y. Zhang, and B. Xu, “Robust Backstepping Sliding-Mode Control of Active Magnetic Bearing,” Machine Building and Automation, Vol.45, No.1, pp. 194-198, 2016.
-  S. Y. Chen and F. J. Lin, “Robust Nonsingular Terminal Sliding-Mode Control for Nonlinear Magnetic Bearing System,” IEEE Trans. on Control Systems Technology, Vol.19, No.3, pp. 636-643, 2011.
-  F. J. Lin, S. Y. Chen, and M. S. Huang, “Intelligent Double Integral Sliding-Mode Control for Five-Degree-of-Freedom Active Magnetic Bearing System,” IET Control Theory and Applications, Vol.5, No.11, pp. 1287-1303, 2011.
-  P. F. Meng, G. M. Zhang, and H. M. Ouyang, “Design of Robust Controller for Magnetic Bearings Based on H∞ Loop-Shaping Approach,” Bearing, Vol.4, pp. 10-15, 2016.
-  A. Noshadi, J. Shi, W. S. Lee, and P. Shi, “High Performance H∞ Control of Non-minimum Phase Active Magnetic Bearing System,” Conf. of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, pp. 183-189, 2014.
-  W. Pedrycz, “Fuzzy Control and Fuzzy Systems,” Wiley, 1989.
-  S. K. Hong, R. Langari, and J. Joh, “Fuzzy Modeling and Control of A Nonlinear Magnetic Bearing System,” IEEE Int. Conf. on Control Applications, pp. 213-218, 1997.
-  S. K. Hong and R. Langari, “Robust Fuzzy Control of A Magnetic Bearing System Subject to Harmonic Disturbances,” IEEE Trans. on Control Systems Technology, Vol.8, No.2, pp. 366-371, 2000.
-  A. S. Reddy, P. K. Agarwal, and S. Chand, “Genetic Algorithm Based Optimal Design of Fuzzy Logic Controller for Active Magnetic Bearings,” 2014 Int. Conf. on Power, Control and Embedded Systems, pp. 1-6, 2015.
-  H. Y. Chen, D. M. Sun, and P. Zhao, “Design for Multi-Objective Fuzzy Control System of Magnetic Bearings,” Bearing, Vol.3, pp. 11-14, 2015.
-  C. Z. Liu, Z. Q. Deng, L. Xie, and K. Li, “The Design of the Simple Structure-Specified Controller of Magnetic Bearings for the High-Speed SRM,” IEEE/ASME Trans. on Mechatronics, Vol.20, No.4, pp. 1798-1808, 2015.
-  J. T. Jeng and T. T. Lee, “Control of Magnetic Bearing Systems Via the Chebyshev Polynomial-based Unified Model (CPBUM) Neural Network,” IEEE Trans. on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Part B, Vol.30, No.1, pp. 85-92, 2000.
-  X. F. Chen, L. Ji, and K. Liu, “A BP Neural Network Controller for Magnetic Suspended Flywheel System,” 2010 3rd IEEE Int. Conf. on Computer, Science and Information Technology, pp. 448-452, 2010.
-  F. X. Zhang, G. J. Li, G. Liu, and T. Wen, “Integrated Control of a Driving and Driven Magnetically Levitated Flywheel Based on a TMS320C31+FPGA Digital Controller,” J. of Engineering for Thermal Energy and Power, Vol.26, No.6, pp. 756-759, 2011.
-  Y. F. Fan and L. X. Xu, “The Study on the Control System of the Disc Rotor Supported by Active Magnetic Bearings,” Machinery Design and Manufacture, Vol.4, pp. 185-188, 2015.
-  X. Chen, C. Y. Su, and T. Fukuda, “A Nonlinear Disturbance Observer for Multivariable Systems and Its Application to Magnetic Bearing Systems,” IEEE Trans. on Control Systems Technology, Vol.12, No.4, pp. 569-577, 2004.
-  Z. X. Yang, G. S. Zhao, H. J. Rong, and J. Yang, “Adaptive Backstepping Control for Magnetic Bearing System Via Feedforward Networks with Random Hidden Nodes,” Neurocomputing, Vol.174, pp. 109-120, 2016.
-  G. Liu and C. F. Li, “Research on Discrete Fuzzy Felf-adaptation Sliding Mode Control of Magnetic Bearing,” J. of System Simulation, Vol.22, No.s1, pp. 99-102, 2010.
-  Y. Xu and K. Nonami, “A Fuzzy Modeling of Active Magnetic Bearing System and Sliding Mode Control with Robust Hyperplane Using μ-Synthesis Theory,” Jsme Int. J., Vol.46, No.2, pp. 409-415, 2003.
-  S. C. Chen, D. K. Le, and V. S. Nguyen, “Adaptive Network-Based Fuzzy Inference System (ANFIS) Controller for an Active Magnetic Bearing System with Unbalance Mass,” Lecture Notes in Electrical Engineering, Vol.282, No.1, pp. 433-444, 2014.
-  C. R. Burrows and M. N. Sahinkaya, “Vibration Control of Multi-Mode Rotor-Bearing Systems Author(s): C Vibration Control of Multi-mode Rotor-bearing Systems,” Proc. of the Royal Society A, Vol.386, No.1790, pp. 77-94, 1983.
-  F. Matsumura, T. Namerikawa, K. Hagiwara, and M. Fujita, “Application of Gain Scheduled H∞ Robust Controllers to a Magnetic Bearing,” IEEE Trans. on Control Systems Technology, Vol.4, No.5, pp. 484-493, 1996.
-  H. Kang, S. Y. Oh, and O. Song, “H∞ Control of a Rotor-magnetic Bearing System Based on Linear Matrix Inequalities,” J. of Vibration and Control, Vol.17, No.2, pp. 291-300, 2011.
-  Y. W. Long, Z. Y. Xie, and X. Xu, “H∞ Robust Control Strategy for an Active Magnetic Bearing,” J. of Vibration and Shock, Vol.32, No.23, pp. 115-120, 2013.
-  M. Durali and H. Salarieh, “Control of Shaft Vibrations on Magnetic Bearings Using Neural Network and Sliding Mode Controller,” ASME 7th Biennial Conf. on Engineering Systems Design and Analysis, pp. 787-793, 2004.
-  B. C. Han, H. Cui, and E. Q. Tang, “Vibration Suppression of Magnetic Bearing based on Sliding Mode Disturbance Observer,” Optics and Precision Engineering, Vol.20, No.3, pp. 563-570, 2012.
-  H. H. Shi, H. B. Lv, and Q. G. Sun, “Fuzzy-PID Control for Active Magnetic Bearing with Unbalance Vibration Problem,” Manufacturing Automation, Vol.35, No.20, pp. 43-45, 2013.
-  S. J. Huang and L. C. Lin, “Stable Fuzzy Control with Adaptive Rotor Imbalance Compensation for Nonlinear Magnetic Bearing Systems,” J. of the Chinese Institute of Engineers, Vol.28, No.4, pp. 589-603, 2011.
-  S. Q. Zheng, B. C. Han, R. Feng, and Y. Jiang, “Vibration Suppression Control for AMB-Supported Motor Driveline System Using Synchronous Rotating Frame Transformation,” IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, Vol.62, No.9, pp. 5700-5708, 2015.
-  R. Herzog, P. Bühler, C. Gähler, and R. Larsonneur, “Unbalance Compensation Using Generalized Notch Filters in the Multivariable Feedback of Magnetic Bearings,” IEEE Trans. on Control Systems Technology, Vol.45, No.5, pp. 580-586, 1996.
-  C. R. Knospe, S. M. Tamer, and S. J. Fedigan, “Robustness of Adaptive Rotor Vibration Control to Structured Uncertainty,” J. of Dynamic Systems Measurement and Control, Vol.119, No.2, pp. 243-250, 1997.
-  M. Nakano, Y. Matsuo, and T. Omata, “Reactive Power Compensating System Using Repetitive Control Method,” J. of the Japan Society for Simulation Technology, No.4, pp. 97-100, 1985.
-  J. H. She, M. Wu, Y. H. Lan, and Y. He, “Simultaneous Optimization of Low-pass Filter and Controller in Robust Repetitive Control Systems,” ICM2007 4th IEEE Int. Conf. on Mechatronics, pp. 1-6, 2007.
-  X. Y. Zhang, T. Shinshi, L. C. Li, and A. Shimokohbe, “A Combined Repetitive Control for Precision Rotation of Magnetic Bearing,” Precision Engineering, Vol.27, No.3, pp. 273-282, 2003.
-  B. C. Han, Y. Liu, and S. Q. Zheng, “Research on Vibration Suppression for Magnetic Suspension Motor Based on Repetitive Control Method,” J. of Vibration, Measurement and Diagnosis, Vol.3, pp. 486-492, 2015.
-  T. Nakamura, S. Wakui, and Y. Nakamura, “An Interpretation of an Unbalance Vibration Compensator of Five-axes Active Magnetic Bearing Systems Based on Internal Model Principle,” Proc. of the 2015 Int. Conf. on Advanced Mechatronic Systems, pp. 137-142, 2015.
-  A. Noshadi, J. Shi, W. S. Lee, P. Shi, and A. Kalam, “Repetitive Disturbance Observer-based Control for an Active Magnetic Bearing System,” 2015 5th Australian Control Conf., pp. 55-60, 2015.
-  F. X. Xu, X. Z. Zhao, and Z. D. Lu, “Suppression of Disturbance from Test Turntable Dynamic Unbalance by Using Adaptive Repetitive Control,” J. of Mechanical Engineering, Vol.46, No.2, pp. 172-177, 2010.
-  J. W. Chen and T. S. Liu, “H∞ Repetitive Control for Pickup Head Flying Height in Near-field Optical Disk Drives,” IEEE Trans. on Magnetics, Vol.41, No.2, pp. 1067-1069, 2005.
-  X. D. Li, T. W. S. Chow, and J. K. L. Ho, “Quasi-sliding Mode Based Repetitive Control for Nonlinear Continuous-time Systems with Rejection of Periodic Disturbances,” Automatica, Vol.45, No.1, pp. 103-108, 2009.
-  J. H. She, M. Fang, Y. Ohyama, H. Hashimoto, and M. Wu, “Improving Disturbance-Rejection Performance Based on an Equivalent-Input-Disturbance Approach,” IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, Vol.55, No.1, pp. 380-389, 2008.
-  H. D. Gu, L. Zhao, L. Shi, X. Z. Diao, and H. B. Zhao, “Controller Design for a Flexible Rotor Supported by Active Magnetic Bearing Passing the Critical Rotational Speed,” J. of Tsinghua University, Vol.45, No.6, pp. 821-823, 2005.
-  H. Fujiwara, M. Ito, N. Takahashi, K. Ebina, and O. Matsushita, “Modal Control of Flexible Rotors Supported by Active Magnetic Bearings,” Trans. of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers C, Vol.70, No.698, pp. 2797-2804, 2004.
-  M. Ito, H. Fujiwara, and O. Matsushita, “Q-value Evaluation and Rotational Test of Flexible Rotor Supported by AMBs,” J. of System Design and Dynamics, Vol.4, No.5, pp. 725-737, 2010.
-  K. Nonami, J. W. Wang, M. Sampei, and T Mita, “Active Vibration Control of a Flexible Rotor Using H∞ Control Theory,” JSME Int. J. Ser.3, Vibration, Control Engineering, Engineering for Industry, Vol.35, No.3, pp. 393-399, 1992.
-  K. Nonami and T. Ito, “μ Synthesis of Flexible Rotor-magnetic Bearing Systems,” IEEE Trans. on Control Systems Technology, Vol.4, No.5, pp. 503-512, 1996.
-  Z. Y. Xie, W. X. Mou, H. K. Zhou, and X. Wang, “Variable Parameter Control of Active Magnetic Bearing Rotor System Based on Rotation Speed,” J. of Vibration Engineering, Vol.25, No.6, pp. 739-744, 2012.
-  H. Q. Zhuang, Z. Y. Xie, S. Y. Zhang, K. F. Wu, and Q. C. Shi, “Adaptive PID Control for Flexible Rotor Supported by Active Magnetic Bearings Based on Single Neuron with Varying Learning Rates,” J. of Aerospace Power, Vol.26, No.5, pp. 1166-1171, 2011.
-  B. Defoy, T. Alban, and J. Mahfoud, “Experimental Assessment of a New Fuzzy Controller Applied to a Flexible Rotor Supported by Active Magnetic Bearings,” J. of Vibration and Acoustics, Vol.136, No.5, pp. 379-388, 2014.
-  Y. S. Liu, “Variable Structure Control of Active Magnetic Bearings,” Tianjin: Tianjin University, 1999.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.