Optimal Operation for Supercapacitor Storage System Using Piecewise LQR Voltage Equalization Control
Bin Chen, Zhiwu Huang, Rui Zhang, Hongtao Liao, and Jun Peng
School of Information Science and Engineering, Central South University
Changsha, Hunan 410075, China
A closed-loop piecewise linear quadratic regulation (PLQR) voltage equalization controller is proposed for a supercapacitor storage system to optimize supercapacitor operation in terms of voltage differences among supercapacitor cells with the desired voltage tracking. In this study, under constant current charging mode, a model system is built based on the switched-capacitor method. The state equation of the errortracking system is derived. By adopting an idea derived from Lyapunov elliptic domains, the PLQR algorithm is proposed to change the feedback gain dynamically to satisfy the control input constraints. Simulation results verify the effectiveness and feasibility of the proposed algorithm.
-  V. F. Pires, E. Romero-Cadaval, D. Vinnikov, I. Roasto, and J. F. Martins, “Power converter inferfaces forelectrochemical energy storage systems – A review,” Energy Conversion and Management, Vol.86, No.10, pp. 453-475, 2014.
-  T. Ratniyomchai, S. Hillmansen, and P. Tricoli, “Energy loss minimisation by optimal design of stationary supercapacitors for light railways,” IEEE Int. Conf. on Clean Electrical Power, pp. 511-517, 2015.
-  A. K. Shukla, A. Banerjee, M. K. Ravikumar, et al., “Electrochemical capacitors: Technical challenges and prognosis for future markets,” Electrochimica Acta, Vol.84, No.11, pp. 165-173, 2012.
-  D. Satou, N. Hoshi, and J. Haruna, “Characteristics of cell voltage equalization circuit using LC series circuit in charging and discharging states,” Conf. of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, pp. 514-519, 2013.
-  M. Mellincovsky, A. Kuperman, C. Lerman, et al., “Performance and Limitations of a Constant Power-Fed Supercapacitor,” IEEE Trans. on Energy Conversion, Vol.29, No.2, pp. 445-452, 2014.
-  Y. Diab, P. Venet, and G. Rojat, “Comparison of the different circuits used for balancing the voltage of supercapacitors: Studying performance and lifetime of supercapacitors,” Proc. of the 2nd European Symp. on Super Capacitors & Applications, pp. 1-6, 2006.
-  L. U. Ren-Gui, T. C. Wang, and C. B. Zhu, “Dynamic equalization algorithm based on switched capacitor applied in super-capacitor stacks,” J. of Harbin Institute of Technology, Vol.40, No.9, pp. 1421-1425, 2008.
-  S. Inoue and H. Akagi, “A bidirectional DC–DC converter for an energy storage system with galvanic isolation,” IEEE Trans. on Power Electronics, Vol.22, No.6, pp. 2299-2306, 2007.
-  A. Hussain, H. Lee, and S. K. Sul, “Forward fly-back voltage balancing circuit for series connected super capacitors using digital control,” IEEE Int. Conf. on Renewable Energy Research and Applications (ICRERA), pp. 377-382, 2013.
-  M. Uno and H. Toyota, “Equalization technique utilizing series-parallel connected supercapacitors for energy storage system,” IEEE Int. Conf. on Sustainable Energy Technologies, pp. 893-897, 2008.
-  M. Evzelman and S. Ben-Yaakov, “Average-Current-Based Conduction Losses Model of Switched Capacitor Converters,” IEEE Trans. on Power Electronics, Vol.28, No.7, pp. 3341-3352, 2013.
-  C. Speltino, A. Stefanopoulou, and G. Fiengo, “Cell equalization in battery stacks through State of Charge estimation polling,” American Control Conf. (ACC), pp. 5050-5055, 2010.
-  H. Lens, J. Adamy, and D. Domont-Yankulova, “A fast nonlinear control method for linear systems with input saturation,” Automatica, Vol.47, No.4, pp. 857-860, 2011.
-  M. Chou and X. Xia, “Optimal cruise control of heavy-haul trains equipped with electronically controlled pneumatic brake systems,” Control Engineering Practice, Vol.15, No.5, pp. 511-519, 2007.
-  P. L. Kempker, A. C. M. Ran, and J. H. Van Schuppen, “LQ Control for Coordinated Linear Systems,” IEEE Trans. on Automatic Control, Vol.59, No.4, pp. 851-862, 2014.
-  G. F. Wredenhagen and P. R. Belanger, “Piecewise-linear LQ control for systems with input constraints,” Automatic, Vol.30, No.3, pp. 403-416, 1994.
-  J. B. Mare, “Solution of the input-constrained LQR problem using dynamic programming,” Systems & Control Letters, Vol.56, No.5, pp. 342-348, 2007.
-  M. L. Fravolini and G. Campa, “Design of a neural network adaptive controller via a constrained invariant ellipsoids technique,” IEEE Trans. on Neural Networks, Vol.22, No.4, pp. 627-638, 2011.
-  Z. Huang, H. Li, J. Hu, and W. Liu, “An on-line fast model predictive control of high power ultracapacitors charging current for renewable energy urban rail vehicle,” 2014 29th Annual IEEE. Fort Worth on Applied Power Electronics Conf. and Exposition (APEC 2014), pp. 1612-1617, 2014.
-  R. Suárez and J. Sol’is-Daun, “Linear systems with bounded inputs: global stabilization with eigenvalue placement,” Int. J. of Robust & Nonlinear Control, Vol.7, No.9, pp. 835-845, 1997.