PSO-SVR-Based Resource Demand Prediction in Cloud Computing
Zhengfa Zhu, Jun Peng, Zhuofu Zhou, Xiaoyong Zhang, and Zhiwu Huang
School of Information Science and Engineering, Central South University
Changsha, Hunan 410075, China
The essential of cloud computing is to offer elastic resources (such as CPU, memory, storage, and more) allocation to cloud customers on demand, and the resources are allocated dynamically in a pay-as-you-go fashion. In order to achieve this goal automatically while guaranteeing the performance of the application deployed in the cloud, a proactive resource scaling strategy is necessary for cloud providers. In this paper, we present an optimal resource usage prediction approach based on Support Vector Regression (SVR) that predicts resource demands from users in the near future. In order to improve the forecasting accuracy, Particle Swarm Optimization (PSO) is integrated in the model selection process for SVR to optimize the parameters of the model. Experiment results show that the prediction model achieves high accuracy and outperforms traditional SVR and Linear Regression (LR).
-  A. Li, X. Yang, S. Kandula, and M. Zhang, “Cloudcmp: comparing public cloud providers,” ACM Sigcomm Conf. on Internet Measurement Conf., Vol.15, No.2, pp. 1-14, 2010.
-  P. A. Dinda and D. R. O’Hallaron, “Host load prediction using linear models,” Cluster Computing, Vol.3, No.4, pp. 265-280, 2000.
-  D. Slavin, M. A. Abou-Nasr, D. P. Filev, and I. V. Kolmanovsky, “Empirical modeling of vehicle fuel economy based on historical data,” IEEE Int. Joint Conf. on Neural Networks (IJCNN), pp. 1-6, 2013.
-  N. S. Li and C. L. Liu, “Application of SVM to the prediction of water content in crude oil,” IEEE Int. Conf. on Control, Automation and Systems Engineering (CASE), pp. 1-4, 2011.
-  A. A. Bankole and S. A. Ajila, “Cloud Client Prediction Models for Cloud Resource Provisioning in a Multitier Web Application Environment,” IEEE 7th Int. Symp. on Service-Oriented System Engineering, pp. 156-161, 2013.
-  I. H. Witten and E. Frank, “Data Mining: Practical Machine Learning Tools and Techniques with Java Implementations,” Academic Press, USA, 2000.
-  V. N. Vapnik, “The Nature of Statistical Learning Theory,” New York: Springer-Verlag, 1995.
-  V. N. Vapnik, “Statistical Learning Theory,” New York: Wiley, 1998.
-  N. I. Sapankevych and R. Sankar, “Time Series Prediction Using Support Vector Machines: A survey,” IEEE Computational Intelligence Magazine, Vol.4, No.2, pp. 24-38, 2009.
-  S. Islam, J. Keunga, K. Lee, and A. Liu, “Empirical prediction models for adaptive resource provisioning in the cloud,” Future Generation Computer Systems, Vol.28, No.1, pp. 155-162, 2012.
-  N. Roy, A. Dubey, and A. Gokhale, “Efficient Autoscaling in the Cloud using Predictive Models for Workload Forecasting,” IEEE Int. Conf. on Cloud Computing (CLOUD), pp. 500-507, 2011.
-  P. Saripalli, G. V. R. Kiran, R. R. Shankar, H. Narware, and N. Bindal, “Load Prediction and Hot Spot Detection Models for Autonomic Cloud Computing,” IEEE Int. Conf. on Utility and Cloud Computing, pp. 397-402, 2011.
-  J. J. Prevost, K. M. Nagothu, B. Kelley, and M. Jamshidi, “Prediction of Cloud Data Center Networks Loads Using Stochastic and Neural Models,” IEEE Int. Conf. on System of Systems Engineering, pp. 276-281, 2011.
-  O. Niehorster, A. Krieger, J. Simon, and A. Brinkmann, “Autonomic Resource Management with Support Vector Machines,” IEEE/ACM Int. Conf. on Grid Computing (GRID), pp. 157-164, 2011.
-  A. A. Bankole and S. A. Ajila, “Predicting Cloud Resource Provisioning using Machine Learning Techniques,” IEEE Canadian Conf. of Electrical and Computer Engineering (CCECE), pp. 1-4, 2013.
-  D. Minarolli and B. Freisleben, “Cross-Correlation Prediction of Resource Demand for Virtual Machine Resource Allocation in Clouds,” IEEE Int. Conf. on Computational Intelligence, Communication Systems and Networks, pp. 119-124, 2014.
-  E. Hormozi and H. Hormozi, “Using of Machine Learning into Cloud Environment (A Survey): Managing and Scheduling of Resources in Cloud Systems,” IEEE Int. Conf. on P2P, Parallel, Grid, Cloud and Internet Computing, pp. 363-368, 2012.
-  P. S. Diniz, “Adaptive filtering: algorithms and practical implementation,” MA: Kluwer, 2002.
-  J. A. K. Suykens and J. Vandewalle, “Least squares support vector machine classifiers,” Neural Processing Letters, Vol.9, No.3, pp. 292-300, 1999.
-  B. Schoelkopf, K. Sung, C. Burges, F. Girosi, P. Niyogi, T. Poggio, and V. Vapnik, “Comparing support vector machines with Gaussian kernels to radial basis function classifiers,” IEEE Trans. on Signal Processing, Vol.45, No.11, pp. 2758-2765, 1997.
-  R. Eberhart and J. Kennedy, “A new optimizer using particle swarm theory,” Proc. of the 6th Int. Symp. on Micro Machine and Human Science, pp. 39-43, 1995.
-  http://www.cs.huji.ac.il/labs/parallel/workload/l_unilu_gaia/index,
html, [Accessed September, 2015]
-  https://github.com/google/cluster-data/blob/master/TraceVersion1.
md, [Accessed September, 2015]
-  C. M. Bishop, “Pattern recognition and machine learning,” New York: Springer. Vol.16, No.4, pp. 140-155, 2006.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.