Proposing a Transit Oriented Development Model Through Sensitivity Analysis of the Resident’s Utility Function
Kojin Yano*, Hirobumi Hashimoto*, and Takao Terano**
*Research & Development Group, Hitachi Ltd.
Yokohama, Kanagawa 244-0817, Japan
**Interdisciplinary Graduate School of Science and Engineering, Tokyo Institute of Technology
Yokohama, Kanagawa 226-8503, Japan
Transit oriented development (TOD) is a concept related to urban and transportation planning that aims to eliminate traffic jams and decrease CO2 emissions. In this paper, we consider the viewpoints of residents when discussing the desirable conditions for developing a TOD system. First, we design a basic model for a utility function of residents and propose new criteria for evaluating TOD systems. Then, we conduct a simulation to confirm the effectiveness of the proposed utility function and criteria. For this confirmation, we apply a sensitivity analysis to the simulation. The simulation results suggest that the proposed criteria can be applied to compare the feasibility of strategies for TOD.
-  Y. Takahashi, “Public Transport for Shopping: An Analysis on The Interaction Between Intrinsic and Derived Demand,” 11th Conf. on Competition and Ownership in Land Passenger Transport, pp. 1-7, 2009.
-  J. P. Jacobson, “Japanese Transit-Oriented Development: The Framed Market and the Production of Alternative Landscapes,” A Dissertation Submitted to the Faculty of the Graduate School of the University of Minnesota, 2010.
-  T. Kuwahara, A. Yoshioka, K. Shimazaki, T. Ikegami, J. Yamazaki, and T. Hashimoto, “Simulation for Operating Additional Buses based on Demand in Toyota City Low-Carbon Society Verification,” 20th ITS World Congress No.3103, 2013.
-  Transportation Research Board, “Transit Oriented Development in the United States: Experiences, Challenges, and Prospects,” 2004
-  F. Zhang and L. Lin, “TOD-China Revisited: A Travel Outcome-based Perspective,” 2011 5th Int. Association for China Planning Conf. (IACP), pp. 1-7, 2011.
-  X. Dan, L. Da, W. Jianjun, Q. Yue, and L. Huifang, “The Research of Sustainable Transportation Development in New Urban Areas Under TOD Mode,” 9th Int. Conf. on Service Systems and Service Management (ICSSSM) 2012, pp. 701-705, 2012.
-  C. Yang, W. Wang, J. Lu, and Q. Wan, “A Research on Adaptive Transit Combined with Transit-Oriented Development for Small and Medium-Sized Cities,” Int. Conf. on Intelligent Computation Technology and Automation (ICICTA) 2008, pp. 305-310, 2008.
-  O. L. H. Leh, T. K. Hwa, and T. S. Fong, “Transit Oriented Neighborhood for Better Environmental Health,” Int. Conf. on Science and Social Research (CSSR) 2010, pp. 516-521, 2010.
-  Japan Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism, “Cost Benefit Analysis Manual,” 2008 (in Japanese).
-  United States Environmental Protection Agency, “Guidelines for Preparing Economic Analysis,” 2010.
-  T. Ueda, “Reginal and Uban Economic Analysis Using EXCEL,” Koronasha, 2010 (in Japanese).
-  T. Ueda, M. Tsutumi, S. Muto, and K. Yamasaki, “Unified Computable Urban Economic Model,” The Annuals of Regional Science, Vol.50, Issue 1, pp. 341-362, 2013.