Slime Mold Inspired Swarm Robot System for Underwater Wireless Data Communication
Ryan Rhay P. Vicerra and Elmer P. Dadios
De La Salle University
2401 Taft Ave. Manila 1004, Philippines
Swarm robotics is a collection of mobile robots that displays swarm behavior. This paper presents a simulator of slime mold amoeba inspired swarm robot for underwater wireless communication system. The slime mold inspired robotic swarm is used to overcome the challenges of transmitting data in a large underwater environment. Underwater communication systems today are primarily acoustic technology and characterized by limited and distance dependent bandwidth, presence of multipath, and low speed of sound propagation. The robots navigate and seek the shortest path creating a virtual connection between the data transmitter and receiver similar to the foraging behavior of swarms. Each individual robot going back and forth from the transmitter to the receiver and vice-versa acts as a “physical” carrier of the data. Swarm robots navigate using swarm level intelligence based on the signal propagation technique used by slime mold amoeba aggregation using acoustics communication. The robot swarm system is developed, simulated and tested using the coded simulator. Using the slime mold inspired swarm robot system; the simulation successfully performed the data “foraging” scenario and showed the ability of the swarm to provide a virtual link in an underwater wireless communication network.
-  S. Camazine et al., “Self-Organisation in Biological Systems,” NJ, USA: Princeton University Press, 2001.
-  M. Brenner, “Cyclic AMP levels and turnover during development of the cellular slime mold Dictyostelium discoideum,” Developmental biology, Vol.64, No.2, pp. 210-223, 1978.
-  Y.-y. Chang, “Cyclic 3’, 5’-adenosine monophosphate phosphodiesterase produced by the slime mold Dictyostelium discoideum,” Science, Vol.161, No.3836, pp. 57-59, 1968.
-  P. Gaudet, P. Fey, and R. Chisholm, “Dictyostelium discoideum: The social ameba,” Cold Spring Harbor Protocols, 2008.
-  T. Schmickl and K. Crailsheim, “A Navigation Algorithm for Swarm Robotics Inspired by Slime Mold Aggregation,” E. Sahin et al. (Eds): Swarm Robotics Ws, LNCS 4433, pp. 1-13, 2007.
-  J. Heidemann, M. Stojanovic, and M. Zorzi, “Underwater sensor networks: applications, advances and challenges,” Philisophical Trans. of the Royal Society A, Vol.370, No.1958, pp. 158-175, 2012.
-  L. Liu, S. Zhou, and J.-H. Cui, “Prospects and problems of wireless communication for underwater sensor network,” Wireless Communication and Mobile Computing archive, Vol.8, No.8, pp. 977-994, 2008.
-  R. R. P. Vicerra, E. P. Dadios, A. A. Bandala, and L. A. Gan Lim, “Swarm Robot System for Underwater Communication Network,” J. of Advanced Computational Intelligence and Intelligent Informatics, Vol.18, No.5, pp. 769-775, 2014.
-  G. K. Venayagamoorthy and R. G. Harley, “Swarm Intelligence for Transmission System Control,” IEEE Power Engineering Society General Meeting, pp. 1-4, 2007.
-  G. Beni and J. Wang, “Swarm Intelligence,” Seventh Annual Meeting of the Robotics Society of Japan, Tokyo, pp. 425-428, 1989.
-  G. Beni, “From Swarm Intelligence to Swarm Robotics,” E. Sahin, and W. Spears (Eds.), Swarm Robotics: State-of-the-art Survey, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 3342, Springer-Verlag, pp. 1-9, 2015.
-  C. Grosan, A. Abraham, and C. Monica, “Swarm Intelligence in Data Mining,” A. Abraham, C. Grosan, and V. Ramos (Eds.), Swarm Intelligence in Data Mining. SCI, Vol.34, pp. 1-16, Springer, Heidelberg, 2006.
-  T. D. Seeley, “The Wisdom of the Hive,” Harward University Press, 1996.
-  D. Teodorovic and M. Dell’orco, “Bee Colony Optimization-A Cooperative Learning Approach to Complex Transportation Problems,” Advanced OR and AI Methods in Transportation, pp. 51-60, 2005.
-  A. Colorni, M. Dorigo, and V. Maniezzo, “Distributed Optimization by Ant Colonies,” F. Varela and P. Bourgine (Eds.), Proc. of the First European Conf. on Artifical Life, pp. 134-142, MIT Press, Cambridge, 1992.
-  M. Dorigo, V. Maniezzo, and A. Colorni, “The Ant System: Optimization by a Colony of Cooperating Agents,” IEEE Trans. on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Vol.26, pp. 29-41, 1996.
-  J. Kennedy and R. Eberhart, “Particle Swarm Optimization,” Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. on Neural Networks, Vol.4, pp. 1942-1948, 1995.
-  Y. del Valle, G. K. Venayagamoorthy, S. Mohaghenghi, J. C. Hernandez, and R. G. Harley, “Particle Swarm Optimization: Basic Concepts, Variants and Applications in Power Systems,” IEEE Trans. on Evolutionary Computation, Vol.12, pp. 171-195, 2008.
-  K. M. Passino, “Distributed Optimization and Control Using Only a Germ of Intelligence,” Proc. of the 2000 IEEE Int. Symposium on Intelligent Control, pp. 5-13, 2000.
-  K. M. Passino, “Biomimicry of Bacteria Foraging for Distributed Optimization and Control,” IEEE Control Systems Magazine, Vol.22, pp. 52-67, 2002.
-  J. Kennedy and R. C. Eberhart, “Swarm Intelligence,” San Francisco: Morgan Kaufmann Publisher, 2001.
-  M. M. Millonas, “Swarms, Phase Transitions, and Collective Intelligence,” Artificial Life III, C. G. Langton (Ed.), Reading, Massachusetts: Addison-Wesley, pp. 417-445, 1994.
-  E. Bonabeau, G. Theraulaz, and M. Dorigo, “Swarm Intelligence: From Natural to Artificial Systems,” Oxford University Press, 1999.
-  J. K. Eberhart and R. Eberhart, “Swarm Intelligence,” Morgan Kaufmann, 2001.
-  T. Schmickl et al., “CoCoRo – The Self-aware Underwater Swarm” SASO 2011: Fifth IEEE Conf. on Self-Adaptive and Self-Organizing Systems Workshops, Michigan, USA, October 2011.
-  E. Sahin, “Swarm Robotics: From Sources of Inspiration to Domains of Application,” E. Sahin and W. Spears (Eds.), Swarm Robotics: State-of-the-art Survey, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 3342, Springer-Verlag, pp. 10-20, 2005.
-  U. M. Cella, R. Johnstone, and N. Shuley, “Electromagnetic wave wireless communication in shallow water coastal environment: theoretical analysis and experimental results,” 4th ACM Int. Workshop on Underwater Networks (WUWNet), Berkeley, CA, November, pp. 9:1-9:8, 2009.
-  N. Farr, A. Bowen, J. Ware, C. Pontbriand, and M. Tivey, “An integrated, underwater optical/acoustic communications system,” OCEANS 2010 IEEE, Sydney, pp. 1-6, 2010.
-  I. Vasilescu, K. Kotay, D. Rus, M. Dunbabin, and P. Corke, “Data collection, storage, and retrieval with an underwater sensor network,” Proc. 3rd ACM SenSys Conf., San Diego CA, pp. 154-165, 2005.
-  J. Friedman, D. Torres, T. Schmid, J. Dong, and M. B. Srivastava, “A biomimetic quasistatic electric field physical channel for underwater ocean networks,” 5th ACM Int. Workshop on Underwater Network (WUWNET), Woods Hole, MA, September 2010.
-  W. Loomis (Ed.), “The Development Of Dictyostelium Discoideum,” Elsevier, 2012.
-  E. J. Henderson, “The cyclic adenosine 3’: 5’-monophosphate receptor of Dictyostelium discoideum. Binding characteristics of aggregation-competent cells and variation of binding levels during the life cycle,” J. of Biological Chemistry, Vol.250, No.12, pp. 4730-4736, 1975.
-  V. Gazi and K. M. Passino, “Swarm Stability and Optimization,” Springer , 2011.