A Comparison of Ligament Tensions Between Intra- and Extra-Articular Measurement in Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction
Shogo Kawaguchi*, Kouki Nagamune*,**, Yuichiro Nishizawa**, Shinya Oka**, Daisuke Araki**, Yuichi Hoshino**, Takehiko Matsushita**, Ryosuke Kuroda**, and Masahiro Kurosaka**
*Graduate School of Engineering, University of Fukui
3-9-1 Bunkyo, Fukui-shi, Fukui 910-0017, Japan
**Graduate School of Medicine, Kobe University
7-5-1 Kusunikicho, Chuo-ku, Kobe, Hyogo 650-0017, Japan
-  J. A. Feagin Jr. and M. J. Dohrmann, “The Crucial ligaments: diagnosis and treatment of ligamentous injuries about the knee,” pp. 3-28, Churchill Livingstone, 1994.
-  C. H. Chen, T. Y. Chuang, K. C. Wang, W. J. Chen, and C. H. Shih, “Arthroscopic anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction with quadriceps tendon autograft: clinical outcome in 47 years,” Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc, Vol.14, pp. 1077-1085, 2006.
-  A. Maeda, K. Shino, S. Horibe, K. Nakata, and G. Buccafusca, “Anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction with multistranded autogenous semitendinosus tendon,” Am J Sports Med, Vol.24, pp. 504-509, 1996.
-  T. Mae, K. Shino, T. Miyama, H. Shinjo, T. Ochi, H. Yoshikawa, and H. Fujie, “Single-versus two-femoral socket anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction technique: Biomechanical analysis using a robotic simulator,” Arthroscopy, Vol.17, pp. 708-716, 2001.
-  M. Yagi, E. K. Wong, A. Kanamori, R. E. Debski, F. H. Fu, and S. L. Woo, “Biomechanical analysis of an anatomic anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction,” Am J Sports Med, Vol.30, pp. 660-666, 2002.
-  I. Iwahashi, K. Shino, K. Nakata, H. Otsubo, T. Suzuki, H. Amano, and N. Nakamura, “Direct Anterior Cruciate Ligament Insertion to the Femur Assessed by Histology and 3-Dimensional Volume-Rendered Computed Tomography,” Vol.26, No.9, pp. S13-20, 2010.
-  N. Adachi, M. Ochi, Y. Uchio, J. Iwasa, M. Kuriwaka, and Y. Ito, “Reconstruction of the anterior cruciate ligament single- versus double-bundle multistranded hamstring tendons,” J Bone Joint Surg, Vol.86, pp. 515-20, 2004.
-  A. van Kampen, A. B. Wymenga, H. J. L. van der Heide, and H. J. A. M. Bakens, “The effect of different graft tensioning in anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: A prospective randomized study,” Arthroscopy, Vol.14, pp. 845-850, 1998.
-  T. H. Gertel, W. D. Lew, J. L. Lewis, N. J. Stewart, and R. E. Hunter, “Effect of anterior cruciate ligament graft tensioning direction, magnitude, and flexion angle on knee biomechanics,” Am J Sports Med, Vol.21, pp. 572-581, 1993.
-  S. Yoshiya, M. Kurosaka, K. Ouchi, R. Kuroda, and K. Mizuno, “Graft tension and knee stability after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction,” Clin Orthop Relat Res, pp. 154-160, 2002.
-  E. D. Nabors, J. C. Richmond, W. M. Vannah, and O. R. McConville, “Anterior cruciate ligament graft tensioning in full extension,” Am J Sports Med, Vol.23, pp. 488-492, 1995.
-  S. Yoshiya, J. T. Andrich, M. T. Mainley, and T. W. Bauer TW, “Graft tension in anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: An in vivo study in dogs,” Am J Sports Med, Vol.15, pp. 464-470, 1987.
-  S. L. Woo, J. M. Hollis, R. D. Roux, M. A. Gomez, M. Inoue, J. B. Kleiner, and W. H. Akeson, “Effects of knee flexion on the structural properties of the rabbit femur-anterior cruciate ligament-tibia complex (FATC),” J Biomech, Vol.20, pp. 557-563, 1987.
-  K. Labs, C. Perka, and F. Schneider, “The biological and biomechanical effect of different graft tensioning in anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: an experimental study,” Arch Orthop Trauma Surg, Vol.122, pp. 193-199, 2002.
-  T. Mae, K. Shino, N. Matsumoto, K. Nakata, K. Kinugasa, H. Yoshikawa, M. Yoneda, “In Vivo graft tension in anatomic double-bundle anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction during active leg-raising motion with the knee splinted,” Arthroscopy, Vol.28, No.4, pp. 532-538, 2012.
-  T, Mae, K. Shino, N. Matsumoto, A. Maeda, K. Nakata, and M. Yoneda, “Graft tension during active knee extension exercise in anatomic double-bundle anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction,” Arthroscopy, Vol.26, No.2, pp. 214-222, 2010.
-  Y. Hoshino, R. Kuroda, K. Nagamune, K. Nishimoto, M. Yagi, K. Mizuno, S. Yoshiya, and M. Kurosaka, “The effect of graft tensioning in anatomic 2-bundle ACL reconstruction on knee joint kinematics,” Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc, Vol.15, pp. 508-514, 2007.
-  K. Yasuda, H. Ichiyama, E. Kondo, S. Miyatake, M. Inoue, and Y. Tanabe, “An in vivo biomechanical study on the tension-versus-knee flexion angle curves of 2 grafts in anatomic double-bundle anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: effects of initial tension and internal tibial rotation,” Arthroscopy, Vol.24, pp. 276-284, 2008.
-  T. Mae, K. Shino, N. Matsumoto, K. Nakata, N. Nakamura, and T. Iwahashi, “Force sharing between two grafts in the anatomical two-bundle anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction,” Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc, Vol.14, pp. 505-509, 2006.
-  D. M. Thompson, M. L. Hull, and S. M. Howell, “Does a Tensioning Device Pinned to the Tibia Improve Knee Anterior Posterior Load-Displacement Compared to Manual Tensioning of the Graft following Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction? A Cadaveric Study of Two Tibial Fixation Devices,” Vol.24, pp. 1832-1841, 2006.
-  T. Mae, K. Shino, N. Matsumoto, M. Hamada, M. Yoneda, and K. Nakata, “Anatomical two-bundle versus Rosenbergs isometric bi-socket ACL reconstruction: a biomechanical comparison in laxity match pretension,” Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc, Vol.15, pp. 328-334, 2007.
-  M. F. Brady, M. P. Bradley, B. C. Fleming, P. D. Fadale, M. J. Hulstyn, and R. Banerjee, “Effects of Initial Graft Tension on the Tibiofemoral Compressive Forces and Joint Position Following ACL Reconstruction,” Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc, Vol.35, pp. 395-403, 2007.
-  J. Suggs, C. Wang, and G. Li, “The effect of graft stiffness on knee joint biomechanics after ACL reconstruction–-3D computational simulation,” Clinical Biomechanics, Vol.18, pp. 35-43, 2003.
-  H. Y. Kim, Y. J. Seo, H. J. Kim, T. Nguyenn, N. S. Shetty, and Y. S. Yoo, “Tension Changes Within the Bundles of Anatomic Double-Bundle Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction at Different Knee Flexion Angles: A Study Using a 3-Dimensional Finite Element Model,” Arthroscopy, Vol.27, pp. 1400-1408, 2011.
-  B. D. Beynnon and B. C. Fleming, “Anterior cruciate ligament strain in-vivo: a review of previous work,” J Biomech, Vol.31, pp. 519-525, 1998.
-  R. Kuroda, Y. Hoshino, D. Araki, Y. Nishizawa, K. Nagamune, T. Matsumoto, S. Kubo, T. Matsushita, and M. Kurosaka, “Quantitative measurement of the pivot shift, reliability, and clinical applications,” Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc, Vol.20, pp. 686-691, 2012.
-  Y. Hoshino, R. Kuroda, K. Nagamune, D. Araki, S. Kubo, M. Yamaguchi, and M. Kurosaka, “Optimal measurement of clinical rotational test for evaluating anterior cruciate ligament insufficiency,” Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc, Vol.20, pp. 1323-1330, 2012.
-  A. D. Milne, D. G. Chess, J. A. Jhonson, G. J. W. King, “Accuracy of an electromagnetic tracking device: a study of the optimal operating range and metal interface,” J Biomech, Vol.29, pp. 791-793, 1996.
-  K. Nishimoto, R. Kuroda, K. Mizuno, Y. Hoshino, K. Nagamune, S. Kubo, M. Yagi, M. Yamaguchi, S. Yoshiya, and M. Kurosaka M, “Analysis of the graft bending angle at the femoral tunnel aperture in anatomic double bundle anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: a comparison of the transtibial and the far anteromedial portal technique,” Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc, Vol.17, pp. 270-276, 2009.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.