Using Brainwaves and Eye Tracking to Determine Attention Levels for Auto-Lighting Systems
Junzo Watada, Yung-Chin Hsiao, and Hanayuki Kitagawa
Graduate School of Information, Production, and Systems, Waseda University
2-7 Hibikino, Wakamatsu, Kitakyushu 808-0135, Japan
-  C. M. Farmer, “Effectiveness estimates for center high mounted stop lamps: a six ye.ar study,” Accident Analysis & Prevention, Vol.28, pp. 201-208, March 1996.
-  H. Bar-Gera and E. Schechtman, “The effect of Center High Mounted Stop Lamp (CHMSL) on rear-end accident in Israel,” Accident Analysis and Prevention, Vol.37, pp. 531-536, 2005.
-  K. Matthijs, B. Frits, and H. Marjan, “The Safety Effects of Daytime Running Lights,” SWOV Institute for Road Safety Research, The Netherlands, Leidschendam, 1997.
-  B. Wordenweber, et al., “Automotive Lighting and Human Vision,” Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, 2007. ISBN: 978-3-540-36696-6.
-  M. E. Krajicek and R. M. Schears, “Daytime running lights in the USA: what is the impact on vehicle crashes in Minnesota,” Int. J. of Emergency Medicine, Vol.3, No.1, pp. 39-43, Mar. 2010.
-  N. Narendran, L. Deng, R. M. Pysar, Y. Gu, and H. Yu, “Performance characteristics of high power light emitting diodes,” 3rd Int. Conf. on Solid State Lighting, Proc. of SPIE 5187, pp. 267-275, 2004.
-  Energy Savings Potential of Solid-State lighting in General Illumination Applications, Navigant Consulting Inc., 2012, available:
-  M. Lay, “Handbook of Road Technology,” Traffic and Transport, Gordon and Breach Science Publishers, Vol.2, 1991.
-  M. Paine, “A Review of Daytime Running Lights,” Sydney NRMA and RACV, July 2003. [Online] Available:
-  Light Transmitting Glass Covers for Exterior Aircraft Lighting,
-  AUDI’s new automotive lighting technolo- gies at CES 2013
-  Adaptive Brake Light for Mercedes-Benz,
-  Z. Li and P. Milgram, “An empirical investigation of a dynamic brake light concept for reduction of rear-end collisions through manipulation of optical looming,” Int. J. of Human-Computer Studies, Vol.66, No.3, pp. 158-172, Mar. 2008.
-  I. Bukhman, “TRIZ Technology for Innovation,” Taipei, Cubic Creativity Company, 2012.
-  Vehicle Code Section 24600-24617,
-  J. R. Anderson, “Cognitive psychology and its implications (6th ed.),” Worth Publishers, pp. 519, 2004.
-  D. Goleman, “Focus: The Hidden Driver of Excellence (Hardcover),” Harper, 2013.
-  G. Ogrim, J. Kropotov, and K. Hestad, “The quantitative EEG theta/beta ratio in attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder and normal controls: Sensitivity, specificity, and behavioral correlates,” Psychiatry Research, Vol.198, No.3, pp. 482-488, Mar. 2012.
-  G. Buzsaki, “Rhythms of the Brain,” New York, Oxford University Press, 2006.
-  http://www.mindquest.com.tw
-  http://developer.neurosky.com/docs/doku.php
-  C. C. Wang and M. C. Hsu, “An exploratory study using inexpensive electroencephalography (EEG) to understand flow experience in computer-based instruction,” Information & Management, Vol.51, No.7, pp. 912-923, Nov. 2014.
-  A. Nijholt, D.P.-O. Bos, and B. Reuderink, “Turning shortcomings into challenges: Brain-computer interfaces for games,” Entertainment Computing, Vol.1, No.2, pp. 85-94, Apr. 2009.
-  A. L. Yarbus, “Eye Movements and Vision,” New York, Plenium Press, 1967.
-  H. H. Lai, “The research & development of Kansei Engineering and Man-Machine interface safety for car-lighting styling design (I),” Taiwan, National Research Council Research, 2003.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.