Measuring the Polarization Degree Based on Optimal Window Median Filtering Algorithm
Yange Lv*, Liyan Pang*, and Guohun Zhu*,**
*School of Electrical Engineering and Automation, Guilin University of Electronic Technology
No.1 Jinji Road, Guilin 541004, China
**Faculty of Health, Engineering and Sciences, University of Southern Queensland Toowoomba
Polarization degree measurement requires that the three input axes be orthogonal. This prevents this method from being used if input angles are nonorthogonal. This paper proposes a method for optimal window median filtering preprocessing to measure the polarization degree of nonorthogonal angles. A 7×7 window is selected to filter out most noise and identify an object from polarization degree images. Compared to conventional algorithms, the proposed method selects three nonorthogonal angles, which is applied to measuring the polarization degree of dynamic objects.
-  Wolff and B. Lawrence, “Using polarization to separate reflection components,” IEEE Computer Society Conf. on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, pp. 363-369, 1989.
-  Egan, G. Walter, and M. J. Duggin, “Optical enhancement of aircraft detection using polarization,” Int. Symp. on Optical Science and Technology, Int. Society for Optics and Photonics, pp. 172-178, 2000.
-  Peltoniemi, I. Jouni, M. Gritsevich, and E. Puttonen, “Reflectance and polarization characteristics of various vegetation types,” Light Scattering Reviews, Vol.9, pp. 257-294. Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2015.
-  Q. Peng, G. Yu, R. Tang, and H. Dong, “Polarization characteristics of reflected light in natural light,” Optical and optoelectronic technology, Vol.4, No.2, pp. 65-68, 2006.
-  H. Ceng, G. Gu, W. He, and W. Yang, “Adaptive fusion algorithm of visible light polarization image,” J. of Photons, Vol.40, No.1, pp. 132-135, 2011.
-  W. Sparks, J. H. Hough, T. A. Germer, F. Robb, and L. Kolokolova, “Remote sensing of chiral signatures on Mars,” Planetary and Space Science, Vol.72, No.1, pp. 111-115, 2012.
-  T. Lefevre, B. Dorizzi, S. Garcia-Salicetti, N. Lemperiere, and S. Belardi, “Effective elliptic fitting for iris normalization,” Computer Vision and Image Understanding, Vol.117, No.6, pp. 732-745, 2013.
-  G. Yu and X. Wang, “Study on polarization image,” The Physical Experiment, Vol.29, No.7, pp. 38-42, 2009.
-  X. Liu, L. Zhang, F. Wang, M. Gao, and Z. Guo, “The uniformity correction method of polarization imaging detection system,” Computer Engineering, Vol.35, No.18, pp. 209-211, 2009.
-  G. Liu and W. Guo, “Application of improved arithmetic of median filtering denoising,” Computer Engineering and Applications, Vol.46, No.10, pp. 187-189, 2010.
-  Y. Zhu and C. Huang, “An Improved Median Filtering Algorithm for Image Noise Reduction,” Physics Procedia, No.25, pp. 609--616, 2012.
-  L. Liu, Y. Sun, and L. Li, “Study on the development of median filter technology,” J. of Yunnan Normal University, Vol.24, No.1, pp. 23-27, 2004.
-  H. Li, Z. Zhang, and Z. Yi, “Application of median filter in image processing,” Information Technology, Vol.28, No.7, pp. 26-27, 2004.
-  H. Sun, W. Shi, and Y. F. Ju, “Image processing with medium value filter,” J. of Changan University (Natural Science Ed.), Vol.23, No.2, pp. 104-106, 2003.
-  K. Ramamoorthy, T. Chelladurai, P. N. Sundararajan, and M. Krishnamurthy, “Noise suppression using weighted median filter for improved edge analysis in ultrasound kidney images,” Int. J. of Computer Science and Mobile Computing, Vol.3, No.1, pp. 97-105, 2014.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.