Robust H∞ Damping Control of Multi-FACTS Devices for Stability Enhancement of Power Systems with Signal’s Time Delay
Fang Liu*,†, Min Wu**, Danyun Li*, Yong He**, and Ryuichi Yokoyama***
*School of Information Science and Engineering, Central South University
Minzhu Building, Yuelu Mountain, Changsha 410083, China
**School of Automation, China University of Geosciences
388 Lumo Road, Wuhan, Hubei 430074, China
***Graduate School of Environmental and Energy Engineering, Waseda University
3-4-1 Okubo, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 169-8555, Japan
In this paper, a robust H∞ damping controller of multi-FACTS device for a power system is developed with considering the time delay of the remote feedback signals transmitted by wide-area measurement systems (WAMS). A free-weighting matrices method based on linear control design approach is presented to design the robust H∞ damping controller to improve the dynamical performance of power systems. Firstly, the linearized reduced-order plant model is established, which efficiently considers the signal’s time delay and disturbance. Then, the design of multi-FACTS robust H∞ damping controller is formulated as the standard control problem on delay-dependent state-feedback robust control based on the robust control theory. Finally, the simulation tests are carried out on the 2-area 4-machine power systems. Satisfactory test results verify the correctness of the proposed damping controller.
-  P. A. Park, “A delay-dependent stability criterion for systems with uncertain time-invariant delays,” IEEE Trans. Automatic Control, Vol.44, pp. 876-877, 1999.
-  Z. Y. Yuan, X. Tao, Y. C. Zhang, C. Lang, P. N. Markham, R. M. Gardner, and Y. L. Liu, “Inter-area oscillation analysis using wide area voltage angle measurements from FNET,” IEEE Power & Energy Society Gen-eral Meeting, 2010.
-  A. Bose, “Smart transmission grid applications and their supporting infrastructure,” IEEE Trans. Smart Grid, Vol.1, No.1, pp. 11-19, June 2010.
-  L. El Ghaoui, F. Oustry, and M. AitRami, “A cone complementarity linearization algorithm for static output-feedback and related problems,” IEEE Trans. Automatic Control, Vol.42, pp. 1171-1176, 1997
-  I. Kamwa, R. Grondin, and Y. Hebert, “Wide-area measurement based stabilizing control of large power systems-a decentralized/hierarchical approach,” IEEE Trans. on Power Systems, Vol.16, No.1, pp. 136-153, 2001.
-  E. Johansson, K. Uhlen, A. B. Leirbukt, P. Korba, J. O. Gjerde, and L. K. Vormedal, “Coordinating power oscillation damping control using wide area measurements,” IEEE/PES Power Systems Conf. and Exposition, 2009.
-  J. M. Davalos Ramirez and V. R. J. Valenzuela, “Coordination of FACTS-based stabilizers for damping oscillations,” IEEE Power Engineering Review. Vol.20, No.12, pp. 46-49, 2000.
-  A. Heniche and I. Kamwa, “Assessment of two methods to select wide-area signals for power system damping control,” IEEE Trans. on Power Systems, Vol.23, No.2, pp. 572-581, 2008.
-  H. F. Wang, F. J. Swift, and M. Li, “Indices for selecting the best location of PSSs or FACTS-based stabilisers in multimachine power systems: a comparative study,” IEE Proc. of Generation, Transmission and Distribution, Vol.144, No.2, pp. 155-159, 1997.
-  N. R. Chaudhuri, B. Chaudhuri, S. Ray, and R. Majumder, “Wide-area phasor power oscillation damping controller: a new approach to handling time-varying signal latency,” IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution, Vol.4, No.5, pp. 620-630, 2010.
-  Y. Yuan, Y. Z. Sun, and L. Cheng, “Design of delayed-input wide-area FACTS controller using genetic algorithm,” IEEE Power Engineering Society General Meeting, 2007.
-  H. Gao, J. Lam, C. Wang, and Y. Wang, “Delay-dependent output-feedback stabilization of discrete-time systems with time-varying state delay,” IEE Proc. Control Theory and Applications 2004, Vol.151, pp. 691-698, 2004.
-  F. Liu, M. Wu, Y. He, and R. Yokoyama, “Delay-dependent Robust Stability Analysis for Interval Neural Networks with Time-varying Delay,” IEEJ Trans. on Electrical and Electronic Engineering, ISSN:1931-4973, Vol.6, No.4, pp. 345-352, 2011.
-  P. Kundur, “Power Stability and Control,” New York: McGraw-Hill, 1994.