A Three-Dimensional Evaluation of EndoButton Displacement Direction After Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction in CT Image Using Tunnel Axis
Yosuke Uozumi*, Kouki Nagamune*,**, Naoki Nakano**,
Kanto Nagai**, Yuichiro Nishizawa**, Yuichi Hoshino**,***,
Takehiko Matsushita**, Ryosuke Kuroda**, and Masahiro Kurosaka**
*Graduate School of Engineering, University of Fukui, 3-9-1 Bunkyo, Fukui 910-8507, Japan
**Graduate School of Medicine, Kobe University, 7-5-2 Kusunoki-cho, Chuo-ku, Kobe 650-0017, Japan
***Kaisei Hospital, 3-11-15 Shinohara Kitamachi, Nada-Ku, Kobe 657-0068, Japan
The goal of this study was to propose a threedimensional evaluation of the EndoButton displacement direction after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction in the multidetector-row computed tomography (MDCT) image by using the tunnel axis. The proposed method was applied experimentally to six subjects. The result of the simulated experiment revealed that the proposed method could analyze EndoButton displacement direction satisfactorily because the error was less than that of the MDCT image resolution. The clinical experiment results revealed displacement relative to the tunnel between time-zero and the followup point. We conclude that the proposed method can quantitatively evaluate the EndoButton displacement direction from the raw MDCT image after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction; further, our findings suggest that the EndoButton was displaced relative to the tunnel between time-zero and the follow-up point.
-  G. Li, L. E. DeFrate, H. E. Rubash, and T. J. Gill, “In vivo kinematics of the ACL during weight-bearing knee flexion,” J. Orthop. Res., Vol.23, No.2, pp. 340-344, 2005.
-  M. Mahirogullari, C. M. Ferguson, P. W. Whitlock, K. J. Stabile, and G. G. Poehling, “Freeze-dried allografts for anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction,” Clin. Sports Med., Vol.26, No.4, pp. 625-637, 2007.
-  K. Samuelsson, D. Andersson, and J. Karlsson, “Treatment of anterior cruciate ligament injuries with special reference to graft type and surgical technique: an assessment of randomized controlled trials,” Arthroscopy, Vol.25, No.10, pp. 1139-1174, 2009.
-  D. Andersson, K. Samuelsson, and J. Karlsson, “Treatment of anterior cruciate ligament injuries with special reference to surgical technique and rehabilitation: an assessment of randomized controlled trials,” Arthroscopy, Vol.25, No.6, pp. 653-685, 2009.
-  J. Orchard, I. Chivers, D. Aldous, K. Bennell, and H. Seward, “Rye grass is associated with fewer non-contact anterior cruciate ligament injuries than bermuda grass,” Br. J. Sports Med., Vol.39, No.10, pp. 704-709, 2005.
-  P. Rochcongar, E. Laboute, J. Jan, and C. Carling, “Ruptures of the anterior cruciate ligament in soccer,” Int. J. Sports Med., Vol.30, No.05, pp. 372-378, 2009.
-  L. J. Micheli, J. D. Metzl, J. Di Canzio, and D. Zurakowski, “Anterior cruciate ligament reconstructive surgery in adolescent soccer and basketball players,” Clin. J. Sport Med., Vol.9, No.3, pp. 138-141, 1999.
-  G. Ruedl, M. Webhofer, I. Linortner, A. Schranz, C. Fink, C. Patterson, W. Nachbauer, and M. Burtscher, “ACL injury mechanisms and related factors in male and female carving skiers: a retrospective study,” Int. J. Sports Med., Vol.32, No.10, pp. 801-806, 2011.
-  T. Werlich, J. Pöhlmann, H. Brand, and V. Echtermeyer, “Sports fitness of active handball and soccer players with anterior instability of the knee joint,” Z. Orthop. Ihre. Grenzgeb., Vol.133, No.1, pp. 34, 1995.
-  K. L. Markolf, J. Mensch, H. Amstutz et al., “Stiffness and laxity of the knee: the contributions of the supporting structures,” J. Bone Joint Surg. Am., Vol.58, pp. 583-594, 1976.
-  G. G. Poehling, W.W. Curl, C. A. Lee, T. A. Ginn, J. T. Rushing, M. J. Naughton, M. B. Holden, D. F. Martin, and B. P. Smith, “Analysis of outcomes of anterior cruciate ligament repair with 5- year follow-up: allograft versus autograft,” Arthroscopy, Vol.21, No.7, pp. 774.e1, 2005.
-  L. S. Lohmander, P. M. Englund, L. L. Dahl, and E. M. Roos, “The long-term consequence of anterior cruciate ligament and meniscus injuries osteoarthritis,” Am. J. Sports Med., Vol.35, No.10, pp. 1756-1769, 2007.
-  B. Engström, M. Forssblad, C. Johansson, and H. Tornkvist, “Does a major knee injury definitely sideline an elite soccer player?,” Am. J. Sports Med., Vol.18, No.1, pp. 101-105, 1990.
-  A. Meunier, M. Odensten, and L. Good, “Long-term results after primary repair or non-surgical treatment of anterior cruciate ligament rupture: a randomized study with a 15-year follow-up,” Scand. J. Med. Sci. Sports., Vol.17, No.3, pp. 230-237, 2007.
-  P. Neuman, M. Englund, I. Kostogiannis, T. Fridén, H. Roos, and L. E. Dahlberg, “Prevalence of Tibiofemoral Osteoarthritis 15 Years After Nonoperative Treatment of Anterior Cruciate Ligament Injury A Prospective Cohort Study,” Am. J. Sports Med., Vol.36, No.9, pp. 1717-1725, 2008.
-  B. D. Beynnon, R. J. Johnson, J. A. Abate, B. C. Fleming, and C. E. Nichols, “Treatment of anterior cruciate ligament injuries, part I,” Am. J. Sports Med., Vol.33, No.10, pp. 1579-1602, 2005.
-  B. D. Beynnon, R. J. Johnson, J. A. Abate, B. C. Fleming, and C. E. Nichols, “Treatment of anterior cruciate ligament injuries, part 2,” Am. J. Sports Med., Vol.33, No.11, pp. 1751-1767, 2005.
-  M. Kurosaka, S. Yoshiya, J. T. Andrish, et al., “A biomechanical comparison of different surgical techniques of graft fixation in anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction,” Am. J. Sports Med., Vol.15, No.3, pp. 225-229, 1987.
-  M. Yagi, R. Kuroda, K. Nagamune, S. Yoshiya, and M. Kurosaka, “Double-bundle ACL reconstruction can improve rotational stability,” Clin. Orthop. Relat. Res., Vol.454, pp. 100-107, 2007.
-  K. Yasuda, E. Kondo, H. Ichiyama, Y. Tanabe, and H. Tohyama, “Clinical evaluation of anatomic double-bundle anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction procedure using hamstring tendon grafts: comparisons among 3 different procedures,” Arthroscopy, Vol.22, No.3, pp. 240-251, 2006.
-  T. Zantop, S. Kubo, W. Petersen, V. Musahl, and F. H. Fu, “Current techniques in anatomic anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction,” Arthroscopy, Vol.23, No.9, pp. 938-947, 2007.
-  G. R. Barrett, L. Papendick, and C. Miller, “Endobutton button endoscopie fixation technique in anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction,” Arthroscopy, Vol.11, No.3, pp. 340-343, 1995.
-  C. C. Prodromos, B. T. Joyce, K. Shi, and B. L. Keller, “A metaanalysis of stability after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction as a function of hamstring versus patellar tendon graft and fixation type,” Arthroscopy, Vol.21, No.10, pp. 1202.e1, 2005.
-  P. T. Simonian, C. T. Behr, D. J. Stechschulte Jr., T. L. Wickiewicz, and R. F. Warren, “Potential pitfall of the EndoButton,” Arthroscopy, Vol.14, No.1, pp. 66-69, 1998.
-  S. Karaoglu, M. Halici, and A. Baktir, “An unidentified pitfall of Endobutton use: case report,” Knee Surg. Sports Traumatol. Arthrosc., Vol.10, No.4, pp. 247-249, 2002.
-  T. Muneta, K. Yagishita, Y. Kurihara, and I. Sekiya, “Case Report Intra-articular Detachment of the Endobutton More Than 18 Months After Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction,” Arthroscopy, Vol.15, No.7, pp. 775-778, 1999.
-  İ. Yanmiş, S. Tunay, E. Ogŭz, C. Yildiz, H. Özkan, and V. Kirdemir, “Dropping of an EndoButton into the knee joint 2 years after anterior cruciate ligament repair using proximal fixation methods,” Arthroscopy, Vol.20, No.6, pp. 641-643, 2004.
-  K. Nishimoto, R. Kuroda, K. Mizuno, Y. Hoshino, K. Nagamune, S. Kubo, M. Yagi, M. Yamaguchi, S. Yoshiya, and M. Kurosaka, “Analysis of the graft bending angle at the femoral tunnel aperture in anatomic double bundle anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: a comparison of the transtibial and the far anteromedial portal technique,” Knee Surg. Sports Traumatol. Arthrosc., Vol.17, No.3, pp. 270-276, 2009.
-  M. Otani, M. Nozaki, M. Kobayashi, H. Goto, K. Tawada, Y.Waguri-Nagaya, H. Okamoto, H. Iguchi, N.Watanabe, and T. Otsuka, “Comparative risk of common peroneal nerve injury in far anteromedial portal drilling and transtibial drilling in anatomical double-bundle ACL reconstruction,” Knee Surg. Sports Traumatol. Arthrosc., Vol.20, No.5, pp. 838-843, 2012.
-  P. U. Brucker, B. A. Zelle, and F. H. Fu, “Intraarticular EndoButton displacement in anatomic anterior cruciate ligament double-bundle reconstruction: A case report,” Oper. Techn. in Orthop., Vol.15, No.2, pp. 154-157, 2005.
-  T. Mae, S. Kuroda, N. Matsumoto, M. Yoneda, K. Nakata, H. Yoshikawa, and K. Shino, “Migration of EndoButton after anatomic double-bundle anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction,” Arthroscopy, Vol.27, No.11, pp. 1528-1535, 2011.
-  Y. Uozumi, K. Nagamune, D. Araki, Y. Hoshino, T. Matsushita, R. Kuroda, and M. Kurosaka, “A Bone Segmentation for the Knee Joint in MDCT Image Based on Anatomical Information,” Int. J. of Intelligent Computing in Medical Sciences & Image Processing (IC-MED), Vol.5, No.2, pp. 105-113, 2013.
-  Y. Uozumi and K. Nagamune, “An automatic bone segmentation method based on anatomical structure for the knee joint in MDCT image,” Proc. of the 35th Annual Int. Conf. of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC 13), pp. 7124-7127, 2013.
-  Y. Uozumi, K. Nagamune, Y. Nishizawa, D. Araki, Y. Hoshino, T. Matsushita, R. Kuroda, and M. Kurosaka, “An Automatic Three-Dimensional Evaluation of Screw Placement After Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction UsingMDCT Images,” J. of Advanced Computational Intelligence and Intelligent Informatics (JACIII), Vol.17, No.6, pp. 818-827, 2013.
-  F. R. Noyes, M. J. Medvecky, and M. Bhargava, “Arthroscopically assisted quadriceps double-bundle tibial inlay posterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: an analysis of techniques and a safe operative approach to the popliteal fossa,” Arthroscopy: The J. of Arthroscopic & Related Surgery, Vol.19, No.8, pp. 894-905, 2003.
-  J. P. Pluim, J. A. Maintz, and M. A. Viergever, “Mutualinformationbased registration of medical images: a survey,” IEEE Trans. on Medical Imaging, Vol.22, No.8, pp. 986-1004, 2003.
-  Y. Uozumi, K. Nagamune, D. Araki, S. Kubo, R. Kuroda, and M. Kurosaka, “An analysis method of endobutton position with registration in MDCT images after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction,” Proc. of the World Automation Congress (WAC), pp. 1-6, 2010.
-  Y. Uozumi, K. Nagamune, D. Araki, S. Kubo, R. Kuroda, and M. Kurosaka, “An Analysis Method of direction of Bone tunnel Enlargement in MDCT Image After Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction,” Proc. of the World Automation Congress (WAC), pp. 1-6, 2010.
-  Y. Uozumi, K. Nagamune, D. Araki, T. Matsumoto, T. Matsushita, S. Kubo, R. Kuroda, and M. Kurosaka, “Six degree of freedom calculation based on principal component analysis for the knee joint in MDCT image,” Proc. of the 2011 IEEE Int. Conf. on Fuzzy Systems (FUZZ), pp. 1436-1441, 2011.
-  Y. Uozumi, K. Nagamune, D. Araki, Y. Hoshino, R. Kuroda, and M. Kurosaka, “An Automated Analysis for Anatomical Structure of Distal Femur from MDCT Image by Contour Tracing,” Proc. of the the 9th Int. Conf. on Signal Image Technology & Internet Based Systems (SITIS), pp. 842-847, 2013.
-  V. Samrit, O. Prakash Kharbanda, R. Duggal, A. Seith, and V. Malhotra, “Bone density and miniscrew stability in orthodontic patients,” Aust. Orthod. J., Vol.28, No.2, pp. 204, 2012.
-  G. Foster, M. Plunkett, A. Wagner, S. Abraham, D. Baldwin, B. Hill, and H. Kim, “Multidetector computed tomographic characteristics of nonabsorbable polymer versus titanium ligature clips in a vascular model,” J. Thorac. Cardiovasc. Surg., Vol.136, No.5, pp. 1324-1327, 2008.
-  H. J. Choi, H. J. Lee, and S. G. Kang, “The clinical significance of hounsfield number of metallic and non-metallic foreign bodies in the soft tissue,” Soonchunhyang Medical Science, Vol.16, No. December, pp. 226-230, 2010.
-  M. D. Miller, “EndoButton drill bit failure,” Arthroscopy, Vol.18, No.3, pp. 322-324, 2002.
-  J. Höher, G. A. Livesay, C. B. Ma, J. D. Withrow, F. H. Fu, and S. L. Woo, “Hamstring graft motion in the femoral bone tunnel when using titanium button/polyester tape fixation,” Knee Surg. Sports Traumatol. Arthrosc., Vol.7, No.4, pp. 215-219, 1999.