Decimation-Free Directional Filter Banks for Classification and Numbering on Posterior Dental Radiography Using Mesiodistal Neck Detection
Agus Zainal Arifin*, Anny Yuniarti*, Wijayanti Nurul Khotimah*,
Arya Yudhi Wijaya*, Ahmad Mustofa Hadi*, Naser Jawas**,
and Eha Renwi Astuti***
*Department of Informatics, Institut Teknologi Sepuluh Nopember (ITS), Kampus ITS, Surabaya, 60111, Indonesia
**Sekolah Tinggi Manajemen Informatika dan Teknik Komputer (STIKOM), Bali, Denpasar, Indonesia
***Department of Dental Radiography, Airlangga University, Surabaya, Indonesia
Dental classification and numbering on posterior dental radiography are important tasks for forensic and biomedical applications. This paper proposed a novel method of classification and numbering on posterior dental radiography using Decimation-Free Directional Filter Bank (DDFB) and mesiodistal neck detection. The method was started by a segmentation method for decomposing dental image into directional images using DDFB. Detection of mesiodistal neck tooth separated the crown and the root of teeth. Finally we used support vector machine for classification and numbering. The experimental results achieved a classification accuracy rate of 91%. It approved the robustness of the proposed method for solving the problem of dental classification and numbering.
Arya Yudhi Wijaya, Ahmad Mustofa Hadi, Naser Jawas, and
and Eha Renwi Astuti, “Decimation-Free Directional Filter Banks for Classification and Numbering on Posterior Dental Radiography Using Mesiodistal Neck Detection,” J. Adv. Comput. Intell. Intell. Inform., Vol.18, No.4, pp. 649-657, 2014.
-  M. H. Mahoor and M. Abdel-Mottaleb, “Classification and Numbering of Teeth in Dental Bitewing Images,” Pattern Recognition, Vol.38, pp. 577-586, 2005.
-  P. L. Lin, Y. H. Lai, and P. W. Huang, “An Effective Classification and Numbering System for Dental Bitewing Radiographs Using Teeth Region and Contour Information,” Pattern Recognition, Vol.43, pp. 1380-1392, 2009.
-  F. Aeini and F. Mahmou, “Classification and Numbering of Posterior Teeth in Bitewing Dental Images,” Proc. 3rd Int. Conf. on Advanced Computer Theory and Engineering (CTE), 2010.
-  R. H. Bamberger and M. J. T. Smith, “A Filter Bank for the Directional Decomposition of Images: Theory and Design,” IEEE Trans. on Signal Processing, Vol.40, No.4, pp. 882-893, Apr. 1992.
-  M. A. U. Khan, M. K. Khan, and M. A. Khan, “Comparative Analysis of Decimation-Free Directional Filter Bank with Directional Filter Bank: In Context of Image Enhancement,” Proc. 9Th Int.Multitopic Conf., 2005, pp. 1-8.
-  P. T. H. Truc,M. A. U. Khan, Y. K. Lee, S. Lee, and T. S. Kim, “Vessel Enhancement Filter using Directional Filter Bank,” Computer Vision and Image Understanding, Vol.113, pp. 101-112, 2009.
-  R. C. Gonzalez and R. E. Woods, “Digital Image Processing 3rd Edition,” New Jersey, Pearson Education, Inc. pp. 289-293, 2008.
-  N. Otsu, “A Threshold Selection Method from Gray-Level Histograms,” IEEE Trans. on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, Vol.9, pp. 62-66, 1979.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.