Incorporating Renewable Energy Resources in a Smart Grid with Power Line Communication Using Matlab/Simulink
Md. Atikur Rahman Sarker*, Yuki Ueno*, Chi-Hung Kelvin Chu**,
and Ken Nagasaka*
*Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology, 2-24-16 Nakacho, Koganei, Tokyo 184-8588, Japan
**Department of Energy Management, Electric Research Planning, Con Edison, Inc., 116 Persimmon Lane, Holmdel, NJ 07733, USA
This paper proposes smart grid configurations that incorporate renewable resources, such as solar and wind power, using Power Line Communication (PLC). PLC and renewable energy connected to the grid are two promising applications for power system. Smart grid combines modern information communication technologies with existing power grid to enable power flow and information in all directions. The implementation of smart grid technology to a rural area promotes the utilization of renewable resources such as photovoltaic (PV) and wind turbines. In this paper, a grid-connected smart grid was implemented for a small community in Sitakunda, Bangladesh. The developed model is simulated using the Matlab/Simulink program. Finally, the energy flows between the renewable energy system and local supplying network are analyzed and optimized.
-  World Bank, “Renewable Energy for Rural Development,” The world Bank Group: 1818 H Street, NY Washigton, DC 20433, 2004.
-  M. Ibrahim, M. Anisuzzaman, S. Kumar, and S. C. Bhattacharya, “Demonstration of PV micro-utility system for rural electrification,” Solar Energy, Vol.72, No.6, pp. 521-530, 2002.
-  B. Jiang and Y. Fei, “Dynamic residential demand response and distributed generation management in smart microgrid with hierarchical agents,” Energy procedia, Vol.12, pp. 76-90, 2011.
-  M. H. Yaghmaee, A. Khisti, and A. Saeedi, “A zingbee and PLC based for home automation and networking in smart grid,” 26th Int. power system conf., Oct. 31 to Nov. 02, 2011, Tehran, Iran, 2011.
-  Power Division of Bangladesh.
-  NASA-Surface meteorology and solar Energy, A renewable energy resources website:
-  “Final report of solar and wind energy research – Bangladesh,” Energy Research Center, Dhaka, 2010.
-  R. Podmore and M. R. Robinson, “The role of Simulators for smart grid development,” IEE Trans Smart Grid 2010, Vol.1, pp. 205-212, 2010.
-  M.A. Mannah, N. Ginot, C. Batard, and M. Machmoum, “data transfer through the motor feeder cable in an industrial application,” Int. 24th applied power electronics conf. and exposition (APE) pp. 1667-72, 2009.
-  A. L. Dimeas and N. D Hatziargyriou, “Operation of a multi agent system for microgrid control,” IEEE Trans. on Power System, Vol.20, No.3, pp. 1447-1455, Aug 2005.