Pragmatic Factors Influencing Word Choice: An Examination Based on Corpus and the IR Method
Yu Wang*, Wenzhen Shi**, and Tetsuhisa Oda**
*Nagoya University, Senri Hights 201, Motoyama Chou, Chikusa-ku, Nagoya, Aichi 464-0036, Japan
**Aichi Institute of Technology, 2-49-2 Jiyugaoka, Chikusa-ku, Nagoya, Aichi 464-0807, Japan
This study argues the pragmatic factors that influence the choice of the four reflexive pronouns jibun, jisin, mizukara, and jiko. Since the differences in these words are subtle and the subjects’ attitudes are complex, we introduce an Improved Rating (IR) method that is developed from Oda’s Fuzzy-set Concurrent Rating (FCR) method. The analysis consists of two parts. First, a corpus-based investigation suggests that the choice of these words may be influenced by a range of factors including anticipants, conversation style, and contents, all of which can be related to “psychological distance.” Second, in order to reconfirm the psychological distance hypothesis, we employ a questionnaire involving the IR method. Consequently, the “psychological distance” is found to be an effective factor influencing the subjects’ attitudes and word choices.
-  J. Channell, “Vague Language,” Oxford University Press, Oxford, p. 3, 1994.
-  T. Oda, “A Proposal of Multidimensional Multivalued Logic Space: Hyper Logic Space (Extended Fuzzy Logic for Fuzzy-set Concurrent Rating Method),” J. of Japanese Industrial Management Association, Vol.49, No.3, pp. 135-145, 1998.
-  T. Oda, J. Deng, T. Kimura, and F. Hayashi, “Hyper Logic Space (HLS) Model and its Applications: Multidimensional Logic System as an Extended Fuzzy Logic System and a new Psychological Measurement Method,” Proc. of the Third Int. Conf. on Systems Science and Systems Engineering, pp. 128-135, 1998.
-  T. Oda, “A Study on Rating Method: a Proposal of FCR Method to solve Central Tendency Problem,” Dissertation as Waseda University, 2001.
-  T. Oda, “A Proposal to Measure Membership Functions,” Proc. of 3rdWorkshop for Fuzzy Systems Towards Applications to Sciences and Humanities, pp. 69-72, 1993.
-  T. Oda, “Fundamental Characteristics of Fuzzy-set Concurrent Rating Method,” J. of Japan Association for Management Systems, Vol.12, No.1, pp. 23-32, 1995.
-  E. Takahagi, “Fuzzy Measures and Fuzzy-set Concurrent Rating Methods: Proposal of Inverse φs Transformation Method and Comparisons among Fuzzy-set Concurrent Rating Methods,” J. of Japan Society for Fuzzy Theory and Intelligent Informatics, Vol.16, No.1, pp. 80-87, 2004.
-  T. Oda, “A Preliminary Study on the Inverse FCR Method Using a Newly Developed Rating Scale,” Proc. of 11th Soft Science Workshop, Japan Society for Fuzzy Theory, pp. 94-97, 2001.
-  X. Huang, W. Shi, and T. Oda, “Comparison of Japanese, Chinese and Spanish Data Obtained by FCR method and IR method,” Proc. of 27th Tokai Fuzzy Workshop, Japan Society for Fuzzy Theory and Intelligent Informatics Tokai Branch, pp. 7_1-7_6, 2009.
-  D. Sperber and D. Wilson, “Loose talk,” In D. Steven (Ed.), Pragmatics: A Reader, Oxford University Press, New York, p. 542, 1991.